ClumsyMonkey.net

Spiritual Machines II Discussion

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Spiritual Machines II Discussion

Postby Furious George » 1/9/2022, 1:17 pm

Been listening to it a ton.. I gotta say, it's been a while since there's been an OLP album I've enjoyed listening to end to end like this one. Despite the dancy-ness of the singles not seeming to fit in w/ the original Spiritual Machines, I can say for sure that their choice David Sitek producing was a great decision. It's different but it definitely follows the same lineage and the layering and synthy-ness is definitely inspired.

One thing I do wish is that they'd have at least one single that represents the sounds from other parts of the album. For me that pick is easily Good Die Young which I think is one of the best songs they've ever written- quite the achievement. It just feels so well put together that its hard to find anything I'd personally want to change about it, which is how I feel about something like In Repair.

Personal favorites: Good Die Young, Simulation (didn't really hook me at first, but that weird synth melody is awesome and reminds me of something from Clumsy), Temporary Healing, and The Message. Also, I don't know if it's after repeat listening or just hearing it in context of the album, but Future Disease went from a song I really disliked to something that I really enjoy when it comes on.
Furious George

Postby Flynner » 1/19/2022, 6:25 pm

Furious George wrote:Been listening to it a ton.. I gotta say, it's been a while since there's been an OLP album I've enjoyed listening to end to end like this one. Despite the dancy-ness of the singles not seeming to fit in w/ the original Spiritual Machines, I can say for sure that their choice David Sitek producing was a great decision. It's different but it definitely follows the same lineage and the layering and synthy-ness is definitely inspired.
!
One thing I do wish is that they'd have at least one single that represents the sounds from other parts of the album. For me that pick is easily Good Die Young which I think is one of the best songs they've ever written- quite the achievement. It just feels so well put together that its hard to find anything I'd personally want to change about it, which is how I feel about something like In Repair.

Personal favorites: Good Die Young, Simulation (didn't really hook me at first, but that weird synth melody is awesome and reminds me of something from Clumsy), Temporary Healing, and The Message. Also, I don't know if it's after repeat listening or just hearing it in context of the album, but Future Disease went from a song I really disliked to something that I really enjoy when it comes on.

Couldn't agree more! Except I'm not a huge fan of future disease but everything else is bang on in my books
Flynner

Postby xjsb125 » 1/21/2022, 8:31 pm

Spiritual Machines II is now available for pre-order on CD and Vinyl at the following locations:

CD: Kill The 8
Vinyl: Kill The 8 (Limited Edition Splatter Vinyl)
Amazon (US)

Both will ship in April in time for Record Store Day.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Flynner » 1/25/2022, 10:04 am

Bought both the splatter vinyl and the cd
Flynner

Postby Furious George » 1/26/2022, 1:01 pm

Listening to the listening party with band commentary for each song.. you can find in their discord. Next time you can access is apparently 6pm today?
Furious George

Postby matt292 » 1/28/2022, 2:21 am

It's FINALLY on Spotify - excited to listen today! Will order the physical CD too as I always do with OLP, but can wait until April for that.
matt292

Postby gibbits » 1/28/2022, 3:47 pm

First listen through three songs stuck out:

Wish You Well
Run
Good Die Young

Run especially is so awesome. Horns section, funky riffs. I was hoping for a longer track with Mike too. The rest of the album I could take or leave, but maybe some will grow on further listens..... Run though, they need to do more tracks like that!
gibbits

Postby johnpeterson » 1/29/2022, 12:04 am

not the biggest fan of this album… there’s not a single song that stands out for me as great… Good Die Young comes closest to me. they are all kind of middling songs… and the less said about the drums the better.

the album isn’t TERRIBLE, but calling it “SM2” means there are BIG expectations, and they fell short. so it hurts the overall appreciation of the album for me. maybe I need more spins on it though?? a lot of good music doesn’t “grab” you right away… but I feel Raine’s vocals are lacking on this album too, so that won’t improve with listens… and his voice is the main reason I ever became a fan in the first place, so that’s a big hit.

new albums ranking:

1. Spiritual Machines
2. Clumsy
3. Happiness…
4. Naveed
5. Gravity
6. Curve
7. Somethingness
8. Spiritual Machines 2
9. Burn Burn
johnpeterson

Postby gibbits » 1/29/2022, 12:27 pm

johnpeterson wrote:not the biggest fan of this album… there’s not a single song that stands out for me as great… Good Die Young comes closest to me. they are all kind of middling songs… and the less said about the drums the better.

Yeah, the loss of Jeremy makes these phone in drum parts really stand out even more. I agree it shouldn't have been called SM2. Lyrically the songs follow the post-Lanni era of being a little too simple. Good Die Young defo has the most SM feel on the album IMO.
gibbits

Postby LifeRiot » 1/30/2022, 11:32 am

To sum it up with Office Space:

PETER
So I'm sitting in my cubicle today listening to the new OLP album and
I realized that ever since I heard Gravity, every album has been worse than the
one before it. So it means that everytime you see me listening to a new OLP album,
that's the worst album I've ever heard.

DR. SWANSON
What about the new OLP album? Is that the worst album you've ever heard?

PETER
Yeah.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby OLPManiac » 1/31/2022, 3:48 pm

I like the album....probably a lot more than the average fan, but I can't deny that I'm a bit disappointed with Steve's guitars...he is an amazing guitar player and honestly, this album doesn't make any justice to him (maybe Good Die Young and Holes).

Overall I like it...but as I said in the Facebook group honestly I don't know where to put it in the albums rank... right now I'm binge listening to it cause well is the last album of the guys and I always do it :D but it is probably the first record where I'm struggling to "judge"
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby paintedbynumbers » 1/31/2022, 6:38 pm

I like the album. I did the pre order and am curious as to if anyone received the demo's as of yet.

I don't get the SM vibe with the exception of the Kurzweil quotes between songs. I am extremely interested in hearing the live versions of Future Disease and Holes. Not a bad album in my mind.
paintedbynumbers

Postby xjsb125 » 1/31/2022, 9:26 pm

I think giving this a title of Spiritual Machines II is a very ambitious task. However, I think the album flows in the same vein. SM was a really experimental pallet of sound. SMII is the most experimental sounds the band has played with in a long time. I also think there was fair enough warning that the sound was the focus of the album, and not the vocals, and not the lyrics. The production quality is just as superior between albums. The parallel in layered sounds is there too. SM and SMII, both recorded with the band in individuality, and not as a group together in the same space. There are places where I think songs between SM and SMII are 2 sides of the same coin, or just parallel. Are You Sad? and Wish You Well have intentional relationships. WYW operates as a sequel. You can also look at SMSPF and Right Behind You, and In Repair and Holes, all operate as parallels. The RK tracks in SM are bleak and eerie, while the tracks from SMII are optimistic, albeit with some caution in there too. Although it isn't a concept album based around the book, the heart of production and creation, and sonic experimentation is all there from that first album. If you don't like the album, if it doesn't rank for you, if you're disappointed, you're not wrong. But it's all subjective to the listener, and we will all have different experiences with the album, the songs, the production, etc. The above, and the initial review I posted are my experiences with it, and different from what any of the rest of you will have.

Re: Steve's guitar - Steve uses some new tones and sounds, and continues his musical progression on this album. However, the music was intentionally designed to be anti-rock, and have more of a dance feel to it. The rhythm between Duncan and Jason is the foundation of this album, seasoned with guitar. Steve is in there, and rocking, you just have to listen a little more closely.

Again, if you are pro SMII, or anti-SMII, you aren't wrong either way, and thanks for sharing your opinion on it.
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 2/1/2022, 3:48 pm

Matt, I believe that you're definitely right and probably this is the best "review" or "opinion" around the album.

As for Steve...as I said I believe that the album doesn't make justice to his skills (that we all know) but not the he did a bad job...he shines as you said in another way (also if I'm correct bass on Future Disease came from him and Duncan didn't touch it so another point for him!).

The album is definitely anti-rock...and although I definitely not dislike it I'm not sure where I can put it in the ranks ( I'm almost afraid), probably it'll be reconsidered in the future as it happened to a lot of newer album from the band (at least since when I'm around new releases).

For example, I never got the hate around Burn Burn, but looks like an overall least favorite for everyone...and also as you pointed everyone has his opinions with the albums, there are also emotional links for somebody for example (not limited to SM II) and many more, so I'm just glad that the band can innovate their sound and they never bore us with the same stuff over and over...so I'm happy for this release...it was a while since Somethingness!

OLPManiac

Postby myownsatellite » 2/1/2022, 7:06 pm

I actually really like the album. It's not the same as any other album they've released, and I can appreciate that. It's not Spiritual Machines, not by a long shot (I don't think anything could ever live up to that), but I'm not disappointed at all.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby matt292 » 2/2/2022, 9:10 am

Had a couple days listening to it and I like it. I feel like the various delays and NFT chatter have tainted it somewhat for me because it lead me to listening to versions of tracks they played live on Youtube (The Message, Run, Wish You Well), so there weren't many 'surprises' for me when I loaded it up on Spotify. I didn't know anything about 19 Days though, and I really like that track - reminds me a bit of Last Train which was one of my favourites off Somethingness.

It's like a bunch of their recent efforts, there's stuff on it I really like, and stuff I really don't. Initial reaction is that Good Die Young isn't for me at all, even though I've seen many people say it's the best song on the album for them. Hopefully it's a grower. I'm more likely to skip Wish You Well than listen to it atm.

The Message sounds great in the studio. I'd rather have this kind of OLP than Burn Burn kind of OLP. They sound energised again which is nice. Future Disease fits much better on the album than a standalone single.

After rubbish pandemic lockdowns and stuff, it's nice to have this hit of nostalgia, I'm glad one of my favourite bands is still going and I hope it's not this long a wait before their next release!

Oh and if they could get back to releasing old demos as part of Transparent Humans or whatever it was called, can we have Trapeze yet?
matt292

Postby xjsb125 » 2/16/2022, 12:08 pm

If you purchased the album via NFT through S!NG or KT8, digital bundles will be added to your wallet next week, with signed album covers and videos to arrive next month.
xjsb125

Postby todddowney » 2/18/2022, 6:17 am

How are the demos? Unfortunately, missed the second release after initial payment issue. Possible for anyone to share?
todddowney

Postby johnpeterson » 2/18/2022, 12:04 pm

i’ve taken some time to listen to the album as a whole several times… and actually, I am starting to enjoy it.

it’s one of those albums that takes time to appreciate, but a lot of good music is that way.

the only think that continues to bother me is Raine’s lackluster vocals… I can only stand to listen to the album at a +3 octave pitch level (in my computer settings), which makes it sound much better and more “OLP” to me.

like with the o.g. SM, there isn’t really any song on the album that i “dislike”, they are all good songs… but also on the flipside there isn’t really any that are standout GREAT songs. my fave is probably “wish you well” or “good die young”

lastly i’m shocked how dead this forum has been after the release… either fans don’t know about it, don’t care, or are only on Facebook nowadays.
johnpeterson

Postby OLPManiac » 2/19/2022, 7:15 am

For me Good Die Young is the absolute highlight...and I don't if you guys that got the NFT had the chance to listen to the included demos..they're good.

As for the forum I believe that nowadays Facebook and the official Discord are the place where you can find most activity

OLPManiac

PreviousNext