ClumsyMonkey.net

Future Disease

This is for you, this is for us...

Future Disease

Postby xjsb125 » 10/5/2021, 4:03 pm

As announced earlier, Future Disease, the second track from Spiritual Machines II, drops this Friday on your favorite streaming services. Talk about it here.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: Future Disease

Postby OLPManiac » 10/7/2021, 1:27 pm

Is "can't wait" a topic of discussion? Hahahaha really curious for this
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby astute_99 » 10/7/2021, 11:37 pm

Mr. Steve Mazur everybody... wow
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby xjsb125 » 10/8/2021, 8:59 am

I didn't enjoy it on first listen. I will revisit it later today and see what I think.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby astute_99 » 10/8/2021, 11:32 am

It seems to be getting some bad feedback, but I dig it. The drums and bass are locked in to a cool, driving beat, and I love the way the dual guitar tracks play off each other. It might be Steve's most proficient guitar work on record with OLP to date.

Raine's performance is obviously not a standout on this track though, again lyrically simple like SMSPF, but I do like how he goes to some places with his voice that we haven't heard often, and it was an interesting performance choice. I'm also not a HUGE fan of the arrangement or transitions, or the lack of a true soaring chorus, but I love all the other performances here so much that I don't really care.

Like SMSPF, I'm probably not going to listen to this track very much until the record comes out in full, because I'd like to save my final opinion on the track until I hear how it fits in context with the rest of the album.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby DG » 10/8/2021, 11:42 pm

I think it sounds fantastic. But man, not a lot of content, lyrically, in these songs. Steve seemed to shine on this one tho.
DG

Postby OLPManiac » 10/10/2021, 1:56 am

I agree with everyone...I like it because it sounds as a Spiritual Machines song from 2021 literally...drums, bass and guitar are all perfect... unfortunately despite I'm a foreigner and I should enjoy simple lyrics I'm a bit afraid with this record lyrically...it seems too much simple without any standout...also Wish You Well has simple lyrics... let's wait and see
For sure this song is nothing special lyrically...and it is a bit of a shame as I'm a big fan of Raine's style
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby astute_99 » 10/10/2021, 3:37 pm

DG wrote:I think it sounds fantastic.

Agree. I didn't really touch on this, but I like the mixing and mastering a lot as well. There's a lot going on in this track, but if you try to listen to each layer individually you can really hear each performance occupying it's own space in the mix. I'm getting excited for how this album is going to sound on my vinyl player!
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby paintedbynumbers » 6/8/2022, 5:33 am

I have been hoping to hear this live. They haven't played it yet but praying they break it out and it becomes a tour staple.
paintedbynumbers

Postby myownsatellite » 6/8/2022, 6:14 pm

My daughter swears she heard it on the radio at school - she's in kindergarten and I am not quite sure it's playing on any local stations but who am I to tell her she's wrong lol The first time she heard it in my car she yelled "I KNOW THIS SONG!"
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009