ClumsyMonkey.net

General OLP News

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: General OLP News

Postby OLPManiac » 5/13/2021, 1:19 pm

Well, luckily I don't excited anymore after Burn Burn and Curve....not because I don't like new OLP's music but because the guys are simply terrible with dates and promises!
So let's see...they exposed themselves with this announcement on Twitter...let's see what will bring!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby matt292 » 5/17/2021, 3:03 am

Came on here hoping for an update on the album as they said the first single would be out before Christmas, but guess we're all still waiting! (understandable when a pandemic is getting in the way of a lot of things)

I am a little disappointed if they're going down the NFT route as I've heard a lot of dodgy stuff about their environmental impact (although that's related to art/illustration as NFTs, no idea if it's different for music).

Really liked "Head Down" and "Drop Me in the Water", so I am still excited. Hopefully won't be too much longer!
matt292

Postby xjsb125 » 5/24/2021, 6:43 pm

Looks like Duncan and Jason escaped Canada and made it to LA. Hopefully some more news soon.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Flynner » 5/27/2021, 10:10 am

Looks like they're filming the video for the first single
Flynner

Postby OLPManiac » 5/30/2021, 2:37 am

And looks like Stop Making Stupid People Famous will be in the album, I can't see it fitting Spiritual Machines but well let's see....also from Instagram sneak peek it sounds different than before
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby titanMAX » 5/30/2021, 4:52 pm

I don't really feel like Life fits the vibe of the first SM. And I know a couple more were written before the concept came in. So it's not unprecedented what they are doing. Lyrically, it just doesn't fit the concept. And the vocal sounded goofy in the preview.
titanMAX

Postby Waiting to Exist » 6/1/2021, 6:35 pm

Mike maybe guesting on the new album? Was this known? See comments here, specifically the reply to Justin Nenno... https://www.facebook.com/ourladypeace/p ... 6112387238
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby xjsb125 » 6/1/2021, 7:46 pm

I don't see that person's comments. I think that would be really nice, considering there are some mended fences there. However, my bets are on Kurzweil, who Raine did say would be involved again, or Rowan Maida.
xjsb125

Postby Heavy Alibi » 6/1/2021, 8:17 pm

Incredible...

Been a while, but just had to come back after reading Mike is BACK!! Who'd have thought we'd ever be saying that?

As for the specific comment... it's the official OLP account's reply that seals it as being Mike. It's not exactly 100% explicit but it's very clear by what they put and how they put it that they are confirming it... I'm sure official confirmation will soon follow.

Link to exact comment:

https://www.facebook.com/ourladypeace/p ... 6116782238
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby xjsb125 » 6/1/2021, 8:38 pm

If it is Mike, that's an incredible sentiment. I watched a lengthy interview with Mike in March or early April, and he was really amicable about leaving OLP. Here's hoping for best.
xjsb125

Postby Flynner » 6/2/2021, 5:03 am

I seem to recall Raine mentioning on Twitter a while back about someone from pussy riot guessing on a song. Does anyone else remember this?
Flynner

Postby titanMAX » 6/2/2021, 3:29 pm

I heard that also. I forget their name but yeah from Pussy Riot.
titanMAX

Postby Heavy Alibi » 6/2/2021, 4:02 pm

The official Facebook page has now added: "There might be a few special guests on the record"
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby Long Jonny » 6/2/2021, 4:05 pm

I’m almost certain Nadya from Pussy Riot is on SMSPF. Raine mentioned it in an interview a months back and she’s also tagged in the video posted to IG a few days ago.
Long Jonny
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Furious George » 6/3/2021, 11:22 am

xjsb125 wrote:If it is Mike, that's an incredible sentiment. I watched a lengthy interview with Mike in March or early April, and he was really amicable about leaving OLP. Here's hoping for best.

Whoa! Link to the interview?

Also if it’s Mike, that makes a whole lot of sense why Raine had mentioned he had talked to him recently on his tweet a while back.
Furious George

Postby xjsb125 » 6/3/2021, 11:59 am

As requested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0k6uHXjWKU

Fair warning, this is about 2.5 hours long. However, it is a great abridged version of Mike's life and his times with OLP, Fair Ground, Crash Karma, as well as his endeavors at Pocket Studios, and his current role in mixing live recordings.
xjsb125

Postby Furious George » 6/3/2021, 8:45 pm

xjsb125 wrote:As requested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0k6uHXjWKU

Fair warning, this is about 2.5 hours long. However, it is a great abridged version of Mike's life and his times with OLP, Fair Ground, Crash Karma, as well as his endeavors at Pocket Studios, and his current role in mixing live recordings.

Thanks xjsb. I watched the entire thing. THAT. WAS. AMAZING. First off, great to hear from Mike again, but also I think that’s required viewing for any OLP die-hard. He gave so much more detail to things I believe we only had the Cliff’s notes on or had no idea about before.

Random interesting tidbits that stood out: how he developed his unique style of guitar playing (and how he was using delays like the Edge of U2 fame before Arnold Lanni stopped him lol), the process of recording Naveed and why certain lineup changes happened, Raine’s real-estate dad, how they were all super unsatisfied with Clumsy before it came out, how thrown together the Woodstock show was (makes a lot of sense in retrospect), the recording philosophies of Arnold Lanni and how it influenced him, his (positive) experiences with Bob Rock, the dynamic with him/the rest of the band /Jamie Edwards that led to him leaving (which was already being felt in the Happiness/SM era!), as well as his experiences in engineering / Fair Ground / Crash Karma afterwards. Also was super nice to hear how he’s reconnected with all his former band mates especially in recent times.
Last edited by Furious George on 6/6/2021, 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Furious George

Postby xjsb125 » 6/3/2021, 8:50 pm

It really is an amazing interview. I really, really hope that he is able to take the stage again with the current lineup. I would love to see him and Steve work together and hear what they could come up with. Again, as you said, this is really a must watch for the die hard OLP fan.
xjsb125

Postby Furious George » 6/4/2021, 2:05 pm

To further complement the excellent interview with Mike, I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this already, but there's this very similarly in-depth interview with Jeremy that was done last month:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/e ... 0519745785

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/e ... 0521885433
Furious George

Postby ShatsBassoon » 6/4/2021, 9:52 pm

Furious George wrote:
xjsb125 wrote:As requested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0k6uHXjWKU

Thanks xjsb. I watched the entire thing. THAT. WAS. AMAZING. First off, great to hear from Mike again, but also I think that’s required viewing for any OLP die-hard. He gave so much more detail to things I believe we only had the Cliff’s notes on or had no idea about before.

Random things I liked that he talked about : how he developed his unique style of guitar playing (and how he was using delays like the Edge of U2 fame before Arnold Lanni stopped him lol), the process of recording Naveed and why certain lineup changes happened, Raine’s real-estate dad (lol), how they were all super unsatisfied with Clumsy before it came out, how thrown together the Woodstock show was (makes a lot of sense in retrospect), the recording philosophies of Arnold Lanni and how it influenced him, his (positive) experiences with Bob Rock, the reasons that led to his break with the band, as well as his experiences in engineering / Fair Ground / Crash Karma afterwards. Also was super nice to hear how he’s reconnected with all his former band mates especially in recent times.

I really appreciate how Mike is self aware and humble, almost in a light self-deprecating way. Whereas Jeremy is self serving and bitterly throws out passive remarks.

Mike has moved on and Jeremy can't let go.
ShatsBassoon

PreviousNext