ClumsyMonkey.net

CONCERTS

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

CONCERTS

Postby olpcc » 7/7/2003, 10:05 pm

Any concert you been to recently post in here about it.... i know i have gone to alot lately andi don't feel like making a ew forum everytime i go to one... so i decide to make a new topic... I am also interested in finding out what bands are good live

sunday i went to guster at comerica tastefest in detriot it was free and packed so my friend and i decided to watch the show from a parking garage..we had a sweet view of the stage from the back and could see brian the drumer perfectly and he is amazing he switches from standing bongo drums with cymbols to a full drum set about every two songs it is amazing to see... guster is a great band to see live and i can't wait to see them again

Last monday i saw ari hest and tamara bedrick at smalls in hamtramack and they were both very good, tamara(local detriot singer/songwriter) i saw earlier in the year when see opened for graham colton ... ari hest has an amazing voice with great range though and it was cool to see him in a small venue with not alot of people their..

i am seeing olp tomorrow bliss 66 friday, and finger eleven on thurs

happy concert going :D
change your life into a postcard version of white snow
olpcc

Postby dream in japanese » 7/7/2003, 10:50 pm

I went to the foo fighters show tonight. Pete Yorn was amazing, I love seeing him live. I didn't really get to see the foo fighters which was really disappointing because the crowd was horrible. I was front row and almost died. As soon as the foos came out I got pushed to the ground and almost stepped all over. Then by half way through the first song (all my life) i was feeling really dizzy and I couldn't breathe so i passed out for a few seconds and got pulled out by security. Then I watched about half the set sitting on the ground all the way at the back. I was in a complete daze and i don't remember much. So we left after a little more then half the set cause i couldn't take it any more. So I really don't know if they were any good or not. Defiantly not the greatest concert experience :neutral:
dream in japanese
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Clumsythief » 7/7/2003, 11:01 pm

I was at the Foo Fighters show too, but I didn't see Pete Yorn. I came very early, but it was too hot in the auditorium. My friend and I just can't breath in there, so we got out of the arena to take some fresh air before the Foo Fighters performs. I took the seats, because we just can't stand for 1h30 because it was just TOO HOT in there. As for the Foo Fighters, I think they were great.
Clumsythief

Postby dream in japanese » 7/7/2003, 11:02 pm

seats?
dream in japanese

Postby olpcc » 7/7/2003, 11:27 pm

yeah those shows seem like they would be awesome i have seen pete live he is incredible, can't say i have seen the foo fighter yet... i might try to go the sarnia show though
change your life into a postcard version of white snow
olpcc

Postby committed » 7/7/2003, 11:29 pm

i saw alk3 six times. it was heavenly.

i however did not enjoy seeing ceasar the greaser open for them in emoha nebraska.

um. i'm seeing reel big fish on friday. and lucky boys confusion next saturday.
we are the brand new beatniks. we are the down and outers.
we are the bleeding hearts, beating syncopated, broken rhythm.
our speed is often break neck. we need to slow it down.
tired of being sleepless. tired of being broken.

committed

Postby megxyz128 » 7/8/2003, 9:03 am

I just saw AFI last night. hell yeah! In Rochester, New York a.k.a. Detroit Part 2. Man, it was SOOOOO much fun. Front row the entire time, met the band afterward (minus Davey who was visiting relatives). Wow, definitely one of my most favorite concert experiences of all freaking time. I miss it already.

Other than that I'm seeing The Blood Brothers July 12th and the Shelter.
- megan.
megxyz128

Postby deniedjunkie » 7/8/2003, 10:24 am

all that foos talk is scaring me, im seeing them next tuesday in seattle, hopefully heat wont be a factor and the crowd will be decent

seeing a few local bands this summer, (the revision,zigmund, alarmbell) ian browne,formally of mgb has ties to all these bands, alarmbell is really great, no albums out yet but really making a name for themselves here in vancouver based on the amazing live show. it features ian browne on drums and ryan dahle formally of limblifter singing.

also gonna see matt good august 2nd in support of b.c childrens hospital and b.c sports hall of fame

really excited about this show , bootlegs may be made from the summer shows for sale on his website,

since he seems to know so much about live cds ,lets see how his turn out :lol:
www.unitedforpeace.org

"People like victory. They don t like justification. Once you are victorious, that s it. You don t have to justify."

R.I.P
Domenic Mobilio(1969-2004)
deniedjunkie

Postby dream in japanese » 7/8/2003, 11:12 am

My Morning Jacket opened up before Pete Yorn last night and I thought they were really good. I didn't know who they were before and I was quite impressed.

oh and last night's foo show was taped for their dvd. so i'll actually get to see the show when i buy the dvd :nod:, but i probably won't be on it :neutral:
dream in japanese

Postby starvingeyes » 7/8/2003, 12:30 pm

i am. so. pumped for PY on the 18th. i probably won't even stay for the foo's as i have other engagements that night.

and i am seeing matt good, olp, third eye blind, sam roberts and fifth season this weekend at stage 13.

nothing good ever comes to edmonton.
starvingeyes
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby bovine » 7/8/2003, 12:55 pm

I just saw Pearl Jam for the second time on Saturday. What an amazing show! The first show I saw of them (Sept. 2 2000) was amazing as well, but I wasn't sure if that was just a standout show for them or if that is the usual show that they put on. If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be the first time I saw them simply because they played my 2 favorite songs (Soon Forget and Hail, Hail) but it would be a really hard choice as both shows were amazing. If I had to rank my favorite live shows, PJ would be tied for first with Dave Matthews Band (with OLP taking slot #1). Oh, I can't forget to mention the fireworks! Camden was putting on their fireworks show for the 4th (even though it was the 5th :wtf: ) and while PJ was playing Even Flow, the fireworks show started. It was right over the river which is a clear view from the lawn where I was. Eddie (their lead singer) said something to the effect of it being impossible to spend the fourth in this part of the country (Philly, where the Constitution was written/signed, and a bunch of other historical stuff happened) without really understanding the impact of the holiday. Then he said "There's explosions happening right now" (refering to the fireworks) and they went into an awsome version of Rockin' In The Free World (which they normally play much later in the set). Anyway, it was an awesome show!

:::troy:::
:::troy:::

Brutus is an honorable man
It's just coincidence that oil men will wage war in an oil rich land
And this one goes out to my man taking cover in the trenches with a gun in his hand
Then gets home and no one flinches when he can't feed his fam...

But Brutus is an honorable man...

- Saul Williams
bovine

Postby dream in japanese » 7/8/2003, 12:59 pm

i saw pearl Jam 2 Saturday's ago, i was pretty impressed.
dream in japanese

Postby Soozy » 7/8/2003, 1:50 pm

I saw REM two nights running a couple of weeks ago and they were amazing. Pete Yorn opened up the first night and I was really impressed so I'm going to see him again when he does a headlining show here in September. Back to REM though - they were playing in Brixton Academy which is tiny for them - about 4,000 people - and I got right down to the front. They played for 2 hours each night and played loads of old songs and really mixed up teh setlists each night - they played 36 different songs - at least one off every album including Carnival of Sorts from their first EP and 5 songs from my favourite album (Life's Rich Pageant). Micheal Stipe was on really good form - talking loads and telling us how he'd seen the Smiths in the same venue and how he'd stolen some of his moves from Morrissey!

I also saw Evanescence (who were pretty good, though sounded a bit too much like the album in places and were over-reliant on backing tapes too - but still sounded good and I had a fun night), QOTSA supported by Sparta - both of whom were really good. And Good Charlotte - but that was filled with little kids who only knew the singles and wasn't much fun.

I'm seeing Finger Eleven 4 weeks today though - I can't wait :D
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy

Postby dream in japanese » 7/8/2003, 1:54 pm

I'm going to vans warped tour in a few weeks
dream in japanese

Postby dream in japanese » 7/8/2003, 3:29 pm

my pictures from pete yorn last night :drool:

i don't have any foo fighter ones :uh:
Attachments
pete yorn 001.jpg
pete yorn 001.jpg (55.9 KiB) Viewed 7941 times
pete yorn 002.jpg
pete yorn 002.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 7940 times
pete yorn 004.jpg
pete yorn 004.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
dream in japanese

Postby Solidarity 9-6347 » 7/8/2003, 5:20 pm

hey joel, a couple of my friends were on the parking garage as well...did you see a guy with long hair, a goatee and a bandanna?

my friend and i were at the tastefest but couldnt make the guster concert :(
<3 Mademoiselle Pamplemousse

~The world would be a better place if only more things were made out of statue~
Solidarity 9-6347

Postby just a phase » 7/8/2003, 5:28 pm

i won tickets for the sum 41 show in vancouver last month (which is weird because i don't even like them). but billy talent was there :drool: soo much better than sum 41. although sum 41 did put on a good show, i have to admit.

i'm also going to see the foo fighters at the plaza of nations july 16th, and i just found out that the white stripes are coming in september!

i'm going to have no money left :(
just a phase

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 7/8/2003, 7:12 pm

Idealist wrote:hey joel, a couple of my friends were on the parking garage as well...did you see a guy with long hair, a goatee and a bandanna?

my friend and i were at the tastefest but couldnt make the guster concert :(

Stephanie. I have 30 Guster posters and 60 stickets and I can't get them to stop sending me shit every week in the mail. Please take this shit from me, I don't want it anymore. God, I can't handle it anymore. Too much Guster.
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby Sufjan Stevens » 7/8/2003, 7:37 pm

OK, here's my last concert experience.

Reel Big Fish/Zebrahead/Wakefield/The Matches.

OK, I get there with my friend and my ex-girlfriend, and I run into yet another ex-girlfirend, and she didn't even recognize me. She found out who I was and spent the next five minutes playing with my hair. Girls love the curls...oh yeah.

OK, so the music starts. The Matches were surprisingly good. I liked their music. It was infectious pop-punk, and not the annoying Good Charlotte kind. The only setback of their set was the fact that their lead singer looked like the biggest douche bag ever. He was a skinny little fuck with a mohawk singing songs of no importance. That was the only thing that bothered me.

Next up was Wakefield. Horrible. Worst band I've ever seen, and I've seen *Nsync. It was like New Found Glory, but with obnoxious guitar players, a bassist that looked like he was strung out on crack, and the whiniest vocals I've ever heard. Horrible.

Then Zebrahead came on stage. They know how to work a crowd, but damn, their fans are jackasses. I've never seen a crowd for any band look so different from each other. People there had mohawks and were going crazy, but there were short, incredibly fat women singing along too. I didn't like them all that much. But then again, I usually don't like getting my ass kicked by random people, so yeah.

Reel Big Fish came out, and my God, are they fun live. They played all their best songs except for Everything Is Cool, which let me down. People don't know how to skank, which is a shame. I feel like giving a seminar before every ska concert I go to from now on, because people need to learn.

But yes, it was a great show, and I am glad I went. The next show I am seeing is July 15 to see Koufax!!! And the legendary Emo Bethany will be there!!! I hope to see some people there that I met at their last show. They were really nice. I sound emo right now, so I will shut up. Koufax!!!
I faced death. I went in with my arms swinging. But I heard my own breath and had to face that I'm still living. I'm still flesh. I hold on to awful feelings. I'm not dead... My chest still draws breath. I hold it. I'm buoyant. There's no end.
Sufjan Stevens

Postby Susan » 7/8/2003, 7:43 pm

The most memorable show I've been to was Reel Big Fish at the Kool Haus in Toronto.

So much energy, you could wire them up and draw enough power to light every building in the area.

Fucking awesome, I tell you. More fun than you could shake a stick at.

I'm going to the big Rolling Stones deal at the end of the month. I'm going just for the Flaming Lips. :mrgreen:
Susan
Oskar Winner: 2003
Oskar Winner: 2003

Next