ClumsyMonkey.net

'Yo! Mods!

Site Problems/Help Area.
Cause if you need help she says there's something I've got saved...

Postby Henrietta » 4/12/2006, 6:34 pm

The artist formerly known as Prince...thread
Henrietta

Postby Lando » 4/12/2006, 8:15 pm

xjsb125 wrote:What I've thought about doing is once every quarter allowing a week for everyone to change their username if they like, and then turning that feature off at the end of the week. There could also be a thread where you tell what you are changing your username to, so everyone won't be quite as confused. That way if you don't like your current username you aren't stuck with it for an entire year, just 4 months? Does that sound ok to everyone?

I think that's a great idea, but instead of quarterly, make it every 6 months. Only because someone could change their name 4 times in a year which would still be slightly annoying. If people can't figure out who someone is in 6 months well then that's just sad!
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby myownsatellite » 4/12/2006, 8:35 pm

Eh the six-monther thing sounds like fun.

I grow weary of my usernames every so often.

But...I like this one. Methinks I shall keep it.

And Johnny is not allowed to change to Crap Bag. I have commanded, it must not be done. *shakes mighty Megan fist*
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby saman » 4/12/2006, 8:51 pm

ahh, i'm not sure if it's such a good idea to set up name changes like that, in intervals. you'll have more and more people waiting to change their names during that set duration, and then come that name change point, they'll all change their names, and no one will be able to recognize each other because so many people will be doing it.
saman

Postby Lando » 4/12/2006, 9:04 pm

That won't be a problem though, there aren't a huge amount of people who are regular posters. Those who are regulars won't all change their names anyway. I never have, others haven't either. Having 6 months to figure out someone who changed their name is will be easy too.

Not only that, but we should create a thread in this forum where people have to post what they change their names to if they're changing.
Lando

Postby saman » 4/12/2006, 9:22 pm

that's true, there probably aren't a lot of people who would change names. but there still probably would be enough to cause confusion. there was when that one person kept changing their name (who was it even, reza?). and then when you'd finally get used to everyone's new names, they might go and change it on you again come the next change point.

anyway, there's that side of the argument. although i do like the idea of the thread with all the names and changes, even if not everyone who changes their name might post in it.
saman

Postby superrgirll » 4/12/2006, 9:32 pm

Dr. Hobo wrote:
superrgirll wrote:i vote no

even for me? :puppyeyes:

especially you

:sugar:
-lori
she's a fool for the last living rock king
http://www.livejournal.com/~got_to_get_away/

HARDCORE!
superrgirll
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Dr. Hobo » 4/12/2006, 10:05 pm

*sniffles*
:sugar:
*sniffles*
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo

Postby Lando » 4/13/2006, 2:39 am

saman wrote:that's true, there probably aren't a lot of people who would change names. but there still probably would be enough to cause confusion. there was when that one person kept changing their name (who was it even, reza?). and then when you'd finally get used to everyone's new names, they might go and change it on you again come the next change point.

anyway, there's that side of the argument. although i do like the idea of the thread with all the names and changes, even if not everyone who changes their name might post in it.

Make it a rule that they have to if they change their name, or like get a warning then banned for a few days or the mods can threaten to change their names back!
Lando

Postby Johnny » 4/13/2006, 10:51 am

Well, if someone wants to change their username, they themselves should state:

reasons for- ie: I'm a good user etc, etc.

and

reasons against - ie: I've been a prat or I tend to spam fequently, etc, etc.

I've seen this method used on another board and it works rather well. Only the users who deserve it get their names changed by the admins.

/my two cents
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby faninor » 4/13/2006, 5:51 pm

I don't think it should be left up to the moderators or administrators to decide whether particular users are allowed to change their usernames or not based on if we approve of why they want to change it, if that's what you mean.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Lando » 4/13/2006, 5:54 pm

Yeah I think it should be up to the users, but they have to agree to let everyone know in a thread what they're changing to and from. To make it easier on everyone else. Doing this only twice a year isn't much to ask either. Especially if a person wants to change their name that badly.
Lando

Postby Random Name » 4/13/2006, 5:55 pm

Yeah, its just a screen name. I'm not sure how someone can deserve to have their name changed. They either want to or they don't. Its not exactly a privilege.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby xjsb125 » 4/13/2006, 10:06 pm

Agreed. So, the first week of June I'll turn the name change option back on, anyone who wants to change their name then can do so, and we'll make a thread to keep up with the name changes to avoid confusion. Then we'll do it all over again in January.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby crustine » 4/13/2006, 10:12 pm

i like this concept I am all for it.
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby superrgirll » 4/14/2006, 10:07 am

i still vote no.
-lori
she's a fool for the last living rock king
http://www.livejournal.com/~got_to_get_away/

HARDCORE!
superrgirll

Postby faninor » 4/14/2006, 10:32 am

I vote yes twice.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby happening fish » 4/14/2006, 12:39 pm

i vote no, name changing sucks
awkward is the new cool
[url]gutterhome.blogspot.com[/url]
happening fish

Postby Lando » 4/14/2006, 1:26 pm

I don't think we should take away people's privileges. Since this site did in fact have the name change option to begin with, it wouldn't be fair to any member of the community to take that away and not give people the option to change their names again.

Especially if they're currently stuck with a name they don't really like.

If we can change our sigs/avatars/profiles we should still be allowed to change our username. Having a controlled way of doing this just keeps things simpler and much less confusing. Especially for new members to the site who are just getting to know everyone.

My opinion might have differed if name changing had never been allowed previously, but it seems like if we abolish it completely, it's like taking something away from our members.
Lando

Postby Axtech » 4/14/2006, 1:31 pm

But I think the point of having no name changes was to create some consistency. You can already change everything else about your "personality" on here, so it becomes impossibly confusing when people change everything at once.

What if we did something like having no name changes regularily, but people can request a name change, the only factor against the name change being the period of time since their last name change. That way people won't be changing their persona completely whenever the feel like it - so as to not confuse the heck out of everybody else - but it still leaves the option open for changing ones name every now and then.

not a perfect solution, but it's a thought...
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

PreviousNext