Postby xjsb125 » 12/25/2021, 7:05 am

Official discussion thread for SMII.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: Spiritual Machines II Discussion

Postby titanMAX » 12/27/2021, 10:39 am

Going to be trying to get this NFT. If I can, website is a bit on the slow side. Also doesn't seem to be a way to add debit info before purchase. I'm still hopeful that I got this
titanMAX

Postby titanMAX » 12/27/2021, 11:06 am

I did get it,, just have to get off work before I can dig in :cry:
titanMAX

Postby xjsb125 » 12/27/2021, 11:38 am

So. I ended up with #1. Also going to have to wait until later to listen.
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 12/27/2021, 11:44 am

Happy for you guys.. I couldn't unfortunately and I tried for 30 minutes... I was looking forward to get something special :-(
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby paintedbynumbers » 12/27/2021, 11:45 am

I;'ve been trying to get this since noon and am getting server errors and other error messages. Just looked on IG and it seems others are having the same issue. Any work around? Shit, at this rate I'd paypal someone $30 just for the audio.
paintedbynumbers

Postby astute_99 » 12/27/2021, 12:32 pm

I got the NFT, and seems I'm the first to fully digest the album and post about it! Cool! Here's my quick thoughts, will do a longer write-up later...

Overall, amazing! I have heard OLP make versions of this kind of music before and it always seemed a bit restrained, but they're really going for it here. Anti-rock indeed. There is tons of guitar, great vocal deliveries, and a really, really groovy bottom end with Duncan and Jason, yet its the way they all weave together which makes this album special. I wasn't so much headbanging as dancing in my chair, which was great!

Those fearing the album wouldn't fit the theme or be worthy of a sequel can be relieved. This new record in unequivocally and obviously SM II, and there are many musical and lyrical allusions to the previous record, while still being fresh, exciting, and with a more modern and optimistic presentation (at least to me).

Early song favorites (non singles) include Wish You Well, 19 Days, and Temporary Healing, with some amazing singing on Good Die Young.

Honestly, the only disappointments are the whole NFT drop thing, and that I wish Mike had been a bit more prominent in the mix on his feature, but maybe that is just my speakers. It was obviously him though, and his part fit in really well and helped tie the two records together IMO.

Lastly, while I'm excited to be one of the first to listen to it in full, I'm even more excited for everyone else to listen to it!! Let's go! :D
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby natejc » 12/27/2021, 12:51 pm

Great Album indeed! Might even say the 2nd half tops the 1st half.
Well I promised you I would change, but I'm an asshole and I'm ashamed
natejc

Postby ivewaited » 12/27/2021, 3:14 pm

I got #20 something. I was getting errors until I used my debit card with an American bank. Think it had something to do with the currency. Haven’t listened yet!
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby xjsb125 » 12/27/2021, 5:44 pm

It's a very enjoyable listen. I just went through the album in the hi-res files. It's a really good companion piece to Spiritual Machines. I love all the new sounds, tones, and experiments. As much as Curve, and Somethingness really showcased Steve as a guitar player, SMII is a showcase to the rhythm between Jason and Duncan. I don't know that Duncan has ever shined more than on this album. Not to detract from Steve, because there is so much new sound from him on this album. I love that his pallet expands with every album. I really love SMSPF as a lead off track. There is so much good happening on this album. I wish Future Disease was just one verse and chorus, and then lead out. 19 Days is the sleeper track on this album, in that it just comes out of nowhere and has you hooked. It could be the deep-cut live track fans hope for down the road. I am also absolutely hooked on the brass kicking in on Run. Who knew that horns on an OLP track would be amazing? All in all, I'm really digging the album. It's got touches of the things we all love about OLP, and drops a brand new sound in to make it unique.
xjsb125

Postby paintedbynumbers » 12/27/2021, 8:15 pm

Piggybacking on what Matt mentioned about deep cut live tracks. I'm very curious as to why OLP didn't play holes or Future Disease on the mini US tour. Both songs are great. Strange they would release them but not play them even once.
paintedbynumbers

Postby astute_99 » 12/27/2021, 9:15 pm

Great analysis Matt, I second everything you said. Duncan and Jason are incredibly dynamic together, it's completely reinvigorated the band's sound, imo. I love the layers of guitar Steve has put down here, showcasing his experimentation with melody. On repeated listens 19 Days continues to groove and should be the next single. The brass was dope, had an Arkells vibe.

I think ultimately what I'm most excited about is that my favorite band has really come together here as a progressive, dynamic, engaging and groovy modern rock group at the height of it's powers making genre-expanding music and with seemingly a bright future. There have been many times we couldn't say this about OLP, so I couldn't be happier!
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby Furious George » 12/28/2021, 8:49 am

Can't wait to check it out! I am MAJORLY BUMMED I wasn't able to get the NFT. As a someone who likes to makes music, I would've loved to check out those stems.

EDIT: Got a copy! Been in heavy rotation this whole week. Will probably elaborate further below, but in short: very very impressed in a way I haven't been in a while.
Last edited by Furious George on 1/9/2022, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furious George

Postby natejc » 12/30/2021, 9:44 pm

Not a stretch to say this is the best album since HIPT. Only complaints being the lack luster ending of The Message and SMSPF not fitting with the overall theme of the album. There are several moments of brilliance on this album. The future is bright!
Well I promised you I would change, but I'm an asshole and I'm ashamed
natejc

Postby titanMAX » 12/30/2021, 10:52 pm

I've been able to sit on this album for a couple days now. And all I have to say is that I love this album. It is so so so inspired.

Like others have said, Duncan and Jason are the stars here. It's FUN. I feel like Steve really shines on some songs no doubt. 19 Days, The Message, Future Disease.

Speaking of Future Disease, that song absolutely has done a 180 for me with how perfectly it fits in its spot on the album. One of my favorites now.

Raine really really gave a great effort on this album. He really stepped out of his comfort zone in a lot of spots. Take a song like Simulation, where the verses are done falsetto.

He straight up cannot do it like he used to. And I think he has shyed away from doing it for a long time. Which is such a shame, because these verses are so charming and really stand out. I admit I forgot that this man can write tf out of a song.

Good Die Young is going to be a classic OLP song. Every band member is at their best. I genuinely cannot wait for everyone to be able to hear it. Just perfect track sequencing on this thing. Every song feels like it belongs.

I don't want to rank songs quite yet, I want everyone to be able to experience it first. But I can promise anyone that reads this that atm I feel it is the best album since the first Spiritual Machines. And I love Curve.

It's been worth the long wait.
titanMAX

Postby paintedbynumbers » 12/31/2021, 9:56 am

I bought the album yesterday via the social media link but still haven't received the songs? I registered with the SING app and it's not showing up under my collection. Anyone know how long it takes to get the songs and what else I may need to do?
paintedbynumbers

Postby Flynner » 1/3/2022, 12:15 pm

Loving the new album, really only songs I'm not a huge fan of are stupid people and future disease. Second half of the album really does it for me. Loving good die young, temporary healing, and simulation! And I am curious to hear the demo to future disease to see if it originally had more versus which for me would have been great
Flynner

Postby OLPManiac » 1/3/2022, 4:03 pm

paintedbynumbers wrote:I bought the album yesterday via the social media link but still haven't received the songs? I registered with the SING app and it's not showing up under my collection. Anyone know how long it takes to get the songs and what else I may need to do?

You should have it already...are you on Discord? There a few emails addresses to contact for this type of problem

OLPManiac

Postby paintedbynumbers » 1/4/2022, 7:53 pm

Hello,

Not on the discord but I did get the songs, except for the demo's. Were the demo's released yet?
paintedbynumbers

Postby OLPManiac » 1/5/2022, 3:25 am

Okay happy for you :) ...as for the demo no one got them yet, I don't know if Raine gave a proper timeline but at this point I believe somewhere after the "physical release".
Hopefully we'll get also a proper digital booklet as the physical cd...although I'm definitely tempted to buy also the physical release :D and I'll probably do it, Last night, I was looking other physical release by OLP that I own (all of them) and honestly I believe that the physical SM II should be there :)

OLPManiac

Next