ClumsyMonkey.net

I'm just gonna say it HIPT was one of their stronger albums

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: I'm just gonna say it HIPT was one of their stronger alb

Postby Tinman » 10/1/2020, 11:57 am

Driven wrote:Picture - A fan favorite that I never got into. I find that Picture, along with many songs from this album, have solid versus but choruses that are bland and lacking.

This is my exact gripe with HIPT. The verses are great, and the songs transition into very poppy radio friendly choruses. I believe there were great original versions that were shredded by bob and sony and redone to be safer to catch a larger listening crowd.

I'm surprised to see the Curve hate. I loved Curve. It was a return to a lot of things about the band I missed. I was hoping Somethingness would be an evolution of the aspects i like with curve; the band trying to challenge themselves and not allow the songs to go in the direction the ear expected, the experimental layers, the falsetto creeping back in.I was expecting the band to start to go in more of a radiohead direction

Somethingness is an evolution of curve, but didn't land in the same genre, which ultimately was not the direction i hoped they've build towards.
Tinman

Postby Tinman » 10/2/2020, 6:29 am

carleiu wrote:Although, I've heard many people say over the years that his previous falsetto was harmful and likely painful to his vocal cords--as a person who can sing in a similar falsetto range myself, I can attest to the fact that it is not painful and is actually easier on the vocal cords than most forms of singing due to slower air flow through the vocal procedure. The gritty, grungy singing style would've definitely been more painful, though.

I wonder if he's uses cannabis. It would explain his tonal change. I know some folks say age doesn't effect vocal tone, and I don't understand that. I can pull up videos of pretty much anyone 20 years apart at any point in their life and their voice will sound different.
Tinman

Postby carleiu » 10/4/2020, 12:07 am

Tinman wrote:
carleiu wrote:Although, I've heard many people say over the years that his previous falsetto was harmful and likely painful to his vocal cords--as a person who can sing in a similar falsetto range myself, I can attest to the fact that it is not painful and is actually easier on the vocal cords than most forms of singing due to slower air flow through the vocal procedure. The gritty, grungy singing style would've definitely been more painful, though.

I wonder if he's uses cannabis. It would explain his tonal change. I know some folks say age doesn't effect vocal tone, and I don't understand that. I can pull up videos of pretty much anyone 20 years apart at any point in their life and their voice will sound different.

Whether or not he smokes weed (which I don't care if he does--I don't myself but I have no problem with it), I think that the timing of his change in singing style during the Bob Rock era, combined with his change in approach to how he wrote lyrics, indicated that he was attempting to write and sing like a more traditional rock singer. Gravity is a very straightforward "rock singer" approach to lyrics and singing, and while I think it's a great album, it was a very generic singing style.

Personally, I feel that the pressure Bob Rock put on Raine, combined with the self-conciousness that Raine acknowledged feeling about his previous approach to singing, indicates that it was an intentional change. I don't think it was a lazy approach to singing, but nevertheless an intentional approach that simply led to his singing style being much lazier, much less gritty/grungy, and that the neglect of failing to practice his previous style of singing led to him no longer being capable of producing the voice he once could. All singers evolve over time, for better or for worse. I can accept the difference in singing style, but I do wish he'd return to the previously irregular song structure and lyricism that was the identity of OLP in the first four albums, as it was a much more creative approach. Other bands, such as Silverchair, evolved their singing style, but continued to complicate their song structure in a way that was creatively fulfilling, as opposed to becoming more simplistic, which is my main criticism of OLP since Spiritual Machines. Hopefully, Spiritual Machines II will return to that level of complexity...<fingers crossed>
carleiu

Postby astute_99 » 10/4/2020, 10:47 am

Regarding Raine's vocals on HIPT, I think Bob Rock's influence on the vocals was as much to do with his recording and production of the album material itself as the change in style. Yes Raine's voice and style were changing, but Rock was also trying to develop a fuller sound for the band, like he had previously with Metallica, but OLP just isn't that band. So I think that really affected how the vocals turned out here, and to a lesser extent on Gravity.

I think Arnold Lanni was the opposite, playing to the band's strengths, which is why we all fell in love with them. So that's part of why it was so poorly received. It has to be recalled that at the time, many of us were apprehensive after Gravity about what kind of band OLP was going to be, and then when HIPT was underwhelming a lot of fans left.

As for the album itself, it might have been more well received if the final product was closer to what we heard on the demos (they killed my WTSOYF so bad). I think that was also Rock's influence, as the edge and tension of the demos got replaced with something much more straightforward and, to many OLP fans, uninteresting. I admire what Rock was trying to do sonically to break OLP as a mainstream act, but again it didn't play to their strengths.

Additionally, I think the behind the scenes videos didn't help much, seeing how much tension and frustration and confusion they were going through as they were making HIPT. It could really be heard on the album.

All that said, I still listen to HIPT fairly frequently, with Picture and Love and Trust are playlist regulars. It's certainly grown on me over the years!
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Previous