ClumsyMonkey.net

Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

Postby shadowraven » 11/6/2019, 12:23 am

I love OLP live still, but ever since Mike Turner was fired and Bob Rock was hired, I've really hated their albums. Arnold Lanni needs to come back. But I think Raine got too big for his britches long ago and would never go back to how things were.
shadowraven

Postby xjsb125 » 11/6/2019, 4:57 am

shadowraven wrote:I love OLP live still, but ever since Mike Turner was fired and Bob Rock was hired, I've really hated their albums. Arnold Lanni needs to come back. But I think Raine got too big for his britches long ago and would never go back to how things were.

:wall: :wall: :wall:

At least you have those 4 albums to enjoy. Mike has been gone for 18 years, and Arnold has been gone for 19. Fucking let it go. Lort.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby myownsatellite » 11/6/2019, 11:39 am

xjsb125 wrote:
shadowraven wrote:I love OLP live still, but ever since Mike Turner was fired and Bob Rock was hired, I've really hated their albums. Arnold Lanni needs to come back. But I think Raine got too big for his britches long ago and would never go back to how things were.

At least you have those 4 albums to enjoy. Mike has been gone for 18 years, and Arnold has been gone for 19. Fucking let it go. Lort.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Driven » 11/6/2019, 12:48 pm

xjsb125 wrote:

That's a nice way to welcome somebody who hasn't posted in 7 years back to the forum.
Driven

Postby xjsb125 » 11/6/2019, 4:22 pm

I'm not going to pull punches on a topic that has been beat to fucking death here. 7 years ago people were still beating that horse. Mike and Arnold moved on. And I guarantee they are happier now than they've ever been. What would someone expect coming in here and dropping that statement? "Oh man, great point! Let's discuss it even more!" Hell no. Maybe walk back in the door with something more positive to say or at least some constructive criticism besides marching in and saying they need to keep making the same stuff they made 2 decades ago.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby SpiritualJunkie » 11/10/2019, 7:45 am

I can understand some people's preference and nostalgia to music they strongly resonate with. There are many bands and singers that I loved to death at one point and just felt 'meh' about their earlier or later work (few have reached the level of longterm love like I have for OLP, though). As I've gotten older and having done creative work myself, I've also come to realize that people have high and unfair expectations of artists. I know I would be dead bored of doing the same type of work over and over again, even if what I did previously was great and impacted a lot of people. So I greatly appreciate OLP's experimentation and attempts to work with different people - and yes, those experimentations can result in work I'm not super into, but that is one of the great risks of being an artist, too.

That said, I listened to Somethingness twice this week, and it's a great album. "Hiding Place for Hearts" and "Nice to Meet You" are songs that stand out - they have an ethereal quality and I have my own interpretations of those songs. Like the latter's verse reminds me of Flora Cash's "Somebody Else," (seeing someone for who they could be, but currently are not) but way more hopeful.

I just don't like the music videos that were done for the singles. And I haven't quite been following where OLP is in terms of management and record labels, but they don't have the same marketing team they used to like they did in the 90s and 2000s. More songs from Somethingness could have easily been on the radio (ie. the songs I just mentioned, "Head Down", "Ballad of a Poet").
And if I don't make it known that
I've loved you all along
Just like sunny days that
We ignore because
We're all dumb and jaded
And I hope to God I figure out
What's wrong

~4am~
SpiritualJunkie

Previous