ClumsyMonkey.net

General OLP News

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: General OLP News

Postby xjsb125 » 6/5/2021, 8:38 pm

Furious George wrote:To further complement the excellent interview with Mike, I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this already, but there's this very similarly in-depth interview with Jeremy that was done last month:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/e ... 0519745785

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/e ... 0521885433

Thanks for sharing those links! You're right, another must listen for the die-hard OLP fan. Finally some insight from Jeremy on why he left. Also good to hear that he at least still keeps in contact with everyone, except Raine.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Teedus » 6/7/2021, 11:15 am

First single is Stop Making Stupid People Famous. While I expected this, wish they were more original in what to release first. Feel like this song is old and has been heard so many times. But maybe that’s just fan syndrome.
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby xjsb125 » 6/7/2021, 2:52 pm

Probably so. In the die hard community it's aged a bit, but there is no full release of it that has been put out. There was a lengthy clip played on an interview with Raine, but not a full song. On top of that, there are more people out there that have never heard it than those that have. If it gets them some radio, then it's a smart decision. I think some people in the community are building this album up in their minds to be just like SM 1. It won't be.
xjsb125

Postby titanMAX » 6/7/2021, 3:15 pm

I thought that both interviews were really wonderful. Liked Jeremy's a bit more. It was nice to hear some new insight about the old era specifically. I became a fan in about 2010. So insight about the first peak of popularity is pretty gold to my ears.

I'd love to hear Mike's insight on some more specific songs. Being the guitar player he could really speak to some things and I'd watch that for 2.5 hours easy.
titanMAX

Postby StraightEdge » 6/14/2021, 10:21 am

“Stop making stupid people famous” is out next Friday and features Pussy Riot. Interesting.
StraightEdge

Postby Furious George » 6/16/2021, 7:11 pm

The Pussy Riot news is definitely a surprise. Between this and Mike showing up on a song, the album could have a bunch of cameos. Interesting indeed and definitely a new direction.
Furious George

Postby Illusion » 6/17/2021, 4:54 pm

xjsb125 wrote:As requested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0k6uHXjWKU

Fair warning, this is about 2.5 hours long. However, it is a great abridged version of Mike's life and his times with OLP, Fair Ground, Crash Karma, as well as his endeavors at Pocket Studios, and his current role in mixing live recordings.

Thanks for sharing this, Matt. This was an exceptional interview.

I found it really interesting to hear Mike talk about how Arnold Lanni pushed the band members to focus on the qualities that made them unique. You can definitely see the fruits of this from Clumsy to SM. It also helps to explain the course-correction that occurred with Bob. It just reinforces how Bob and Arnold were polar opposites as far being producers went.
Illusion

Postby xjsb125 » 6/17/2021, 5:14 pm

Jeremy's take on working with Arnold is very much in the other direction, haha. From Jeremy's interview, my take away on Arnold was that he was too involved, which Jeremy didn't seem to like. But it also sounded like he pushed Jeremy into finding his own style when his playing sounded like other people. I guess it's like when you hate the one boss everybody else likes, haha.
xjsb125

Postby faninor » 6/21/2021, 12:08 pm

I will have to listen to both of these... I never really followed either Mike or Jeremy in too much detail after their departures.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 7/15/2021, 2:06 pm

Is someone able to give an overview of Jeremy’s side of things. With his behaviour on Twitter, I don’t know if I want to sit through two podcast episodes on the matter, but would still like to know what he has to say
Forky Meets Porky

Postby OLPManiac » 11/18/2021, 8:44 am

Just sharing this here ( I'll do also on Discord):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77cUM240Uw
Acoustic show in Buffalo before the live show... it features Clumsy, Wish You Well (man how amazing it sounds acoustically), Innocent and SMSPF, along with a little chat with the band, a bit of a shame that sometimes audio "skips" but is good in every case.
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Previous