ClumsyMonkey.net

New Album news!!

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: New Album news!!

Postby xjsb125 » 10/31/2021, 4:10 am

No, the NFT of the album isn't out until late November. It will be out on streaming services and physical copies in January.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Illusion » 11/26/2021, 1:57 pm

Heavy Alibi wrote:Thoughts on "Spiritual Machines Acoustic Live"? I love the ethereal feel, the atmosphere of the music, the production of the instrumental track... but I gotta say Raine's frankly shoddy vocal work almost ruins the songs for me. Maybe I'm being harsh, but it feels like he's either not trying or has just lost that spark. He's lost a lot of the natural flow in his singing voice, it sounds so awkwardly staccato. I'm assuming he picked this up from doing spoken-word. And except for a few select moments, he also seems afraid to embrace the falsetto, an obstacle I thought he was past by now. But it isn't the falsetto I need - his Gravity voice would also sound great on this.

It used to be the opposite, his original voice MADE these songs! Especially on SM, so it's really apparent when it's not up to snuff performing the songs on SM.

You know I have been thinking about this for a while now and I want to comment on it. I know that this has been a heated topic in the past and I want to emphasize that I want this analysis to be taken in the most respectful way that it possibly can with regards to Raine and OLP.

I have tried singing the way Raine did back in Clumsy-SM era using my throat to reach upper registers that allows a very seamless transition between falsetto and the normal voice. I can get most of the way through Automatic Flowers before I start hacking up my lungs. Now, obviously Raine is a million times better singer than I will ever be, but that style of singing has got to take a toll over time even on somebody like him. I mean imagine 3-4 20+ song concerts each week plus intensive recording sessions where you are singing for hours each day when you are not touring. Also, I just don't think that there is any type of "proper vocal technique" for that style of singing. It's just going turn your throat into sand paper eventually. Eventually your voice is just not going to be able to sustain the same sharp sound that it once had and it will probably start to hurt a lot when making yourself sing that way.

This is probably mainly what happened to Raine. I remember hearing him complaining after singing Life in 2001 how badly his throat hurt during concerts. My guess is that he probably saw a doctor after the SM era and was told that his voice was going to naturally decline from that point on. This might have been part of why OLP had such a significant vocal style-shift in Gravity that focused on a more natural singing style. The vocal style change probably helped to slow down the damage and gave us a really normal, mature-sounding OLP during Gravity, Live and HIPT where the older songs could still be sung without too much difficulty. Burn Burn and onward, though, we are probably at a point where the damage started to become more substantial. I do not believe that Raine's singing is the result of laziness, any kind of lasting influence from Bob or even his spoken-word solo work: it's probably just the style of singing that he needs to use to feel comfortable nowadays.

And I am not criticizing the band or OLP with this analysis. Most heavy rock bands do have this problem as they age. I mean, even Rod Stewart who's not even heavy rock cannot sing anywhere nearly the way he did in his younger years. You can probably attribute this to improper vocal techniques but the fact is that unless you have Elton John's voice, "proper vocal techniques" alone gets you a minimum wage job with a singing gig at your local bar. You need some other angle to make you unique to stand-out in that industry. Raine's extremely unique voice gave us Clumsy which gave the band the popularity that was needed for many of us to come to know OLP. I am grateful to have those incredible albums and will always cherish them. I also still enjoy listening to OLP's performances today because it takes me back to those amazing days and I still want to hear what the band has to share with us in their music.
Illusion

Postby matt292 » 12/7/2021, 4:08 am

The snippet of the next single, 'Holes', sounds GREAT!

Excites me more than the previews of the first 2 singles did.

Comes out on the 10th.
matt292

Postby Flynner » 12/8/2021, 7:30 am

matt292 wrote:The snippet of the next single, 'Holes', sounds GREAT!

Excites me more than the previews of the first 2 singles did.

Comes out on the 10th.

Same here, we have heard a couple previews of it in the last year and I have been really excited to hear the whole song. I really hope there are a lot of lyrics, I feel like future disease could have been so much better if it wasn't the same opening lyric repeated
Flynner

Postby todddowney » 12/8/2021, 1:59 pm

Yes, already quite a bit of repetition in most of the songs heard so far. The music and production in future disease is great, though I feel they missed out on making it more interesting. At least one different/additional verse and/or changing up the cadence. The one small difference is the emphasis on disease in the finale and while not enough, even that slight deviation adds new intrigue.
todddowney

Postby paintedbynumbers » 12/8/2021, 5:50 pm

Both songs have grown on me. I think it would be different if the album wasn't titled Spiritual Machines II. That's honestly my biggest gripe, but maybe the rest of the album has a more Spiritual Machines vibe to it. Stop Making Stupid People Famous sounds nothing like Spiritual Machines but would have been a good song on it's own. Future Disease I like and could have fit in on Somethingness or on it's own also.
paintedbynumbers

Postby Heavy Alibi » 12/10/2021, 1:47 pm

Full "Holes" song... thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02fKbatDbQ
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby xjsb125 » 12/10/2021, 10:29 pm

Pretty solid. It's definitely a headphones on/earbuds in song to fully appreciate it. I liked it much better than Future Disease.
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 12/11/2021, 2:54 am

I love it...for me better than both singles...also lyrically finally we got something a little bit less simple.
Outro is amazing...maybe too short but to be honest with you the song flows perfectly so nothing really to complain about
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby ivewaited » 12/21/2021, 4:52 pm

The NFT is out for all who went to toronto show!

Anyone go to the toronto show?!?
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby Locobone » 12/23/2021, 12:27 am

Unfortunately no.

But what I do have is a very particular set of skills.
Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for exclusives.

If you let my NFT go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for SMII. I will not pursue SMII.

But if you don't, I will look for SMII.
I will find SMII.

And I will acquire it.

ivewaited wrote:The NFT is out for all who went to toronto show!

Anyone go to the toronto show?!?
Locobone

Postby xjsb125 » 12/24/2021, 7:17 am

Yesterday on OLP's official Discord, Raine announced that the NFT for SMII will be made available on December 27 at 12 noon Eastern time/9AM Pacific. The NFT will be made available for purchase through the S!NG app for Apple users, or the S!NG Marketplace website for Android and PC users. The NFT will be available for $29.99 and includes:

High Definition audio, MP3's, and album artwork all available for download immediately.

Demos for songs, stems (individualized tracks for remixing), a signed physical cover of the album, and a personalized video greeting from the band to come in early 2022.

There is a limit of 100 copies of this first run of NFT's, so interested persons should already have their account created on S!NG to avoid hangups.

Spiritual Machines II will be released via streaming services and physical copies on January 28, 2022.
xjsb125

Previous