ClumsyMonkey.net

OCCUPY WALL STREET - October 15th 2011

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

OCCUPY WALL STREET - October 15th 2011

Postby Trustworthy » 10/12/2011, 3:58 pm

So I am sure you have all heard the band talking about the Occupy movement.

Out of curiosity are any of you crazy monkey people going out to show support in your city?

8-)
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: OCCUPY WALL STREET - October 15th 2011

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 10/12/2011, 4:29 pm

Trustworthy wrote:So I am sure you have all heard the band talking about the Occupy movement.

Out of curiosity are any of you crazy monkey people going out to show support in your city?

8-)

There isn't one happening anywhere close to me yet. They're organizing one in Erie but I' haven't seen a date yet.

Do you know who is going to be in what city?
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby Trustworthy » 10/12/2011, 4:34 pm

yes I know who is going to be where but you don't and it is irrelevant at this current juncture in time :P

support the cause!
Trustworthy

Postby Trustworthy » 10/12/2011, 4:44 pm

anyways if anyone is going then let me know ;)
Trustworthy

Postby DG » 10/12/2011, 7:58 pm

I'm probably gonna go to the one in Minneapolis. But we'll see.
DG

Postby LifeRiot » 10/12/2011, 9:11 pm

I'm for sure going. Who is going to be in Detroit? I know there is a protest beginning on the 14th beginning at 4pm at the Spirit of Detroit Statue then progressing to Grand Circus Park at 6pm for permanent occupation. Solidarity Forever!
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby DG » 10/12/2011, 9:16 pm

I assume Steve will be in Detroit, since he's from Michigan. Raine in LA. Jeremy in Toronto and Duncan in NY?
DG

Postby xjsb125 » 10/13/2011, 8:32 am

I'm going to be going to the Occupy Matt's Living Room While Watching The Disney Channel With Owen. It's in Dandridge, TN if anyone is interested in joining me.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Trustworthy » 10/13/2011, 11:23 am

Liferiot - PM me please got a proposal for you

dylan - same thing please! you gonna like this one ;)
Trustworthy

Postby Trustworthy » 10/13/2011, 11:31 am

#FightTheGoodFight
Trustworthy

Postby LifeRiot » 10/13/2011, 12:15 pm

I'm psyched. Just hope I don't get arrested. That would suck.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby DG » 10/13/2011, 1:37 pm

PMd
DG

Postby Trustworthy » 10/14/2011, 5:10 pm

http://dropbox.yousendit.com/FightTheGoodFight

is the place to dump your footage if anyone is attending.
Trustworthy

Postby Trustworthy » 10/14/2011, 6:41 pm

"Boogeyman Jive"
"Revolution's in the air"
"get back to square"
"we're fighting for what we have"
"Fight the good fight"
Trustworthy

Postby Trustworthy » 10/14/2011, 6:49 pm

Those are a few of the messages from OLP in regards to this movement and the Oct15h global change initiative.

If you are attending and feel like being part of OLP's small little contribution to this global movement, by all means feel free to spread these messages in anyway you feel comfortable and think would represent YOU best.

#fightthegoodfight #occupywallstreet #globalchange
Trustworthy

Postby xjsb125 » 10/14/2011, 6:54 pm

My cat is currently occupying my lap. Blue is demanding a clean litter box for his peoples.
xjsb125

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 10/15/2011, 9:23 am

OK friends. Here's the deal. The OLP FB account is asking for our opinion:

OLP wants to know what are your thoughts and comments on the Occupy Wall Street movement are. Share them here! #FightTheGoodFight

However, MANY of the fans on FB are ignorant like this: Brian Jessee "Support it OLP, and I won't support you. Your choice"

There really isn't a place there for real fans to post serious responses so I say we boycott it and post our thoughts in this thread. I'm sure Trusty won't mind passing along thoughts from the true fans.

So, I'll start by saying this. I support the movement. We live in this country, pay taxes, and elect officials because we believe they will make good choices for us, but that hasn't been the case.

If the rich are going to get tax breaks, so should everyone else. If Bank of America can receive millions of dollars in bailout money, can I get $18,000 to pay off my student loans? I'm a teacher and my husband is an officer in the Air Force but even the military is making cutbacks. If my husband lost his job, we'd be in the same boat as the people out in the streets protesting. We'd be two college graduates close to completing masters degree's with low paying jobs. These people aren't asking for handouts. They're asking for change because every year our economy is only getting worse and our country is becoming more and more corrupt.

As long as people are being peaceful, it's our first amendment right to gather and protest. As for people that don't support it, that's their choice too. They have the right to say what they think but I think they could say it more respectfully than some of these people on FB. They don't need to get bent out of shape over it... just go on with your life... it's not hurting you. There's no reason for childish name calling. We are all the 99% This particular story from a guy on the Tumblr blog kind of puts that into perspective: http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/pos ... ed-working

#FightTheGoodFight
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby xjsb125 » 10/15/2011, 11:37 am

I like the fact that people are out using their freedom. There are a lot of good things that people are standing up for. There is the job issue, however, that strikes a chord with me.

The utter laziness of the American population on the whole disgusts me to no end. I've held a job since I was 16, for the same company no less, and bought and paid for 3 vehicles, a 4 year college education, and now have a wife, baby, and house to take care of and I'm still doing it. Yet every day, I see people come in to work with me and do all they can to lose their job because they won't show up, or half ass it, or just quit altogether. I see in this part of Tennessee thousands of migrant workers putting roofs on homes, working fields, cleaning businesses, and doing jobs that many just aren't willing to do. That is what people protesting about wanting jobs are doing that pisses me off. Sure, who doesn't want a high paying job where you twitter all day? In the end, if you want to get what you need in life, you may just have to work your ass off for it. Too many people today aren't willing to do that.

Yes, there does need to be some accountability in the corporate world too. I fully support that. However, in order to do that the government is going to have stretch their regulation and control beyond it's current scope. People want less government, but more control. Control being another word for accountability in this. The accountability piece needs to be upheld by those in control of the business. Most of these companies are publicly traded, and have a board of directors and shareholders to report to. If that board and it's shareholders don't swoop in to say "no bonus for you, you didn't perform" that isn't the government's fault. That is the fault of those who oversee the operations of the business.

On the whole, I like the idea and am proud of those who are intelligently and peacefully going out and making their voices heard. However, there are pieces that I don't like or agree with, and feel the public in those instances need to get out and get their hands dirty and stop waiting for a handout.
xjsb125

Postby faninor » 10/15/2011, 12:11 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer Douchebag, :evil: but...

I don't know. I think a lot of the people who support the Occupy Wall Street movement are just as ignorant as the people who don't support it. I've heard so many different things from supposed supporters such as:

Rage that the richest people get tax breaks. Okay, agreed, not fair.

Rage about unemployment and outsourcing. But wait, we are supposed to... bring more jobs back to America... by making America less profitable for investors and businesses to bring their money and jobs here through increasing their taxes and getting rid of the breaks they take advantage of? Now I'm confused.

Rage that their own retirements / investments are ruined or unstable due to the current economy. Sorry. That's part of the game if you choose to invest though.

I don't know about any of that.

I support what I think the central demand of Occupy Wall Street is -- the basic idea that corporate special interest groups shouldn't control government policy, sure. That's pretty reasonable to me.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 10/15/2011, 1:07 pm

faninor wrote:Not to be a Debbie Downer Douchebag, :evil: but...

I don't know. I think a lot of the people who support the Occupy Wall Street movement are just as ignorant as the people who don't support it. I've heard so many different things from supposed supporters such as:

Rage that the richest people get tax breaks. Okay, agreed, not fair.

Rage about unemployment and outsourcing. But wait, we are supposed to... bring more jobs back to America... by making America less profitable for investors and businesses to bring their money and jobs here through increasing their taxes and getting rid of the breaks they take advantage of? Now I'm confused.

Rage that their own retirements / investments are ruined or unstable due to the current economy. Sorry. That's part of the game if you choose to invest though.

I don't know about any of that.

I support what I think the central demand of Occupy Wall Street is -- the basic idea that corporate special interest groups shouldn't control government policy, sure. That's pretty reasonable to me.

Sorry. Let me clarify Josh. I wasn't targeting those who were against it. I just mean that a lot of those people are sharing their opinions in immature ways. Calling each other names and jumping down each other's throats because someone disagrees with them. Things are just a mess on that page and I think it makes it difficult for people to have rational discussions like we're having here. Not that the CM is always about rationality and calm disagreement! :lol: but it seems to be right now..

ClumsyGirl618

Next