ClumsyMonkey.net

An Arty Abstract

Show off your art.
A pop-up book of flowers from grade 4 are driving her insane...

An Arty Abstract

Postby beautiful liar » 1/24/2010, 12:43 am

Not really art, but I need some feedback!

Language Split in Two: A sociolinguistic approach to Dionne Brand’s No Language is Neutral

Canadian English-language poetry has been dominated by standard Canadian English. Nonstandard varieties, or dialects, of English spoken within Canada, and around the world are considered appropriate for regional literature, but are not often utilized for literary purposes outside of their countries of origin. Dionne Brand’s book of poetry, No Language is Neutral, challenges that norm, combining Trinidad English Creole with standard Canadian English, to create a text that confronts Canadian assumptions about “proper” language. Linguist Braj Kachru proposes that native English speakers from certain “inner circle” countries establish the standards of English for the rest of the world; these inner circle countries, which include Canada, are the traditional centres of English. Scholar David Crystal suggests that it is necessary for artists and writers to champion the cause of non-standard varieties of English to disrupt negative language attitudes common in inner circle countries, where nonstandard varieties are often misinterpreted as improper, uneducated English. In a cross-disciplinary approach, I will juxtapose the use of Trinidad English Creole in No Language is Neutral with Krachu’s model of world Englishes to illustrate the equalizing function of nonstandard varieties of English in international literature. This sociolinguistic reading of No Language is Neutral examines the effects of linguistic identity on the politics of belonging, and considers the rich possibilities that diverse varieties of English provide for artistic expression.
beautiful liar

Postby saman » 1/24/2010, 1:10 am

hmm. i don't have any major feedback; just some minor grammar things.

You could get rid of most of the unnecessary commas in the sentence "Dionne Brand’s book of poetry ... assumptions about “proper” language." by changing it to "Dionne Brand’s book of poetry, No Language is Neutral, challenges that norm by combining Trinidad English Creole with standard Canadian English to create a text that confronts Canadian assumptions about “proper” language."

Also, in the sentence, "Linguist Braj Kachru proposes ... the traditional centres of English.", i don't know if you really need that last part about the inner circle countries. you could just say "Linguist Braj Kachru proposes that native English speakers from certain “inner circle” countries, which include Canada, establish the standards of English for the rest of the world." or, if you really want the "traditional centres" part, you could say "...countries, which include traditional centres of English such as Canada, establish..."

Lastly, are you supposed to format book titles in a certain format? underlines or quotation marks or something?

other than that, it's pretty well written, and the paper sounds really interesting. good luck!!
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby beautiful liar » 1/24/2010, 1:42 am

Thanks Saman, you rock!

I lost my formatting when I copied & pasted on the forum. Should've checked that, but yeah, titles are italicized. :D
beautiful liar