ClumsyMonkey.net

Detroit, MI - Fillmore Detroit - Nov. 1, 2017

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Detroit, MI - Fillmore Detroit - Nov. 1, 2017

Postby Hugh23 » 10/6/2017, 12:03 am

Concert Night 2 of 3. Say hello if you see us on the GA main floor. (Our home town). :D
Hugh23

Re: Detroit, MI - Fillmore Detroit - Nov. 1, 2017

Postby Hugh23 » 11/2/2017, 2:03 am

8:34pm

1. Superman
2. Automatic Flowers
3. Big Dumb Rocket
4. Car Crash
5. Innocent
6. Rabbits
7. Head Down
8. Is Anybody Home?
9. Somewhere Out There
10. Paper Moon / Life
11. Drop Me in the Water
12. R.K. 2029 / In Repair
13. Clumsy

9:43pm

Encore (9:46pm)

1. 4AM
2. Not Enough
3. Ballad of a Poet
4. Starseed

10:08pm

It was a busy Wednesday evening on Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit. The OLP concert I had been anticipating was about to take place at the Fillmore Detroit. Why were so many people out on a work night? (Many more than the Fillmore could hold). We were in the heart of the entertainment district Mike Ilitch envisioned when he bought the dilapidated gem, the Fox Theater in 1982. He spent millions to renovate the Fox to its original glory and he turned the unoccupied office building above it into the headquarters of his soon to be billion dollar company, Little Caesars Pizza. Ilitch did this at a time when other families and businesses were still fleeing Detroit.

The Fox Theater and the Fillmore Detroit sit side by side each other on seperate city blocks. Across from these concert venues sit Comerica Park (home of the Detroit Tigers) and Ford Field (home of the Detroit Lions). Just north of all this is the Detroit Red Wings / Detroit Pistons new home, Little Caesars Arena (LCA) which just opened in time for the start of the NHL / NBA season. All of these sports and entertainment venues are located in less than a one mile radius. Actually three city blocks or less in any direction with tons of old and new bars and restaurants everywhere. Lots of people, lots of police. A very fun and safe area.

I knew there were no sporting events taking place tonight, so why all the people? I glanced over to the brightly lit marque over the Fox Theater entrance and saw Bob Dylan was playing. I thought it was a nice coincidence that two legendary singer/song writers were playing my home town on the same night. The Fillmore was near its 2200 person capacity as the lights dimmed and a thunderous roar came from the fans as OLP took the stage and began to play Superman. Everyone released their pent up energy and sang along with Raine. The whole crowd seemed to really enjoy the entire concert. Even the four new songs from Somethingness Vol. I & II were popular among the fans, many of whom heard these songs for the first time tonight. I really enjoyed that Car Crash made the set list!

Raine's vocal delivery was wonderful and his on stage performance was more emotional then two nights before at the HOB Cleveland. In the 14 OLP shows I've seen since 2010, Steve always delivers memorable guitar solos in each concert. He did it again tonight. Steve can be so mezmerizing I forget to watch Duncan play. Duncan's bass always compliments the beat. Duncan has a quiet flair which was especially on display during Rabbits. Duncan has also taken on the role of keybordist for OLP. There are a few songs in which Duncan plays two instruments alternatively in the same song. Watch Duncan do this during the closer, Starseed. Jason continues to play hard and with heart as he forges his persona within the band.

I liked the fact we got a slightly different setlist from my OLP show in Cleveland. I hope this trend continues! I thought it was so cool when the band came out for the encore and Raine stepped up to the mic and said Detroit was one of his favorite cities to play in. He was giving us a little praise because of the love we showed for the band and their songs. OLP has been holding "meet & greet" sessions before each US concert. Raine told a story of meeting a woman named Keri at today's meet & greet and she told Raine of her struggle to beat addiction. Raine mentioned how touched he was by her story of downfall and redemption. Raine dedicated 4AM to her. During the musical interlude of 4AM, Raine jumped down from the stage and gave her a big hug.

I mentioned how good Raine's vocal delivery was. In many OLP songs the band will really rock the outro as Raine sings broken lyrics from that song to compliment the music. At the end of Not Enough, instead of singing the ending lyrics as they are on the album, Raine sang them using his falsetto. It surprised me. He did this in one other song tonight, too. I can't remember which.

After the show I was able to meet Duncan, Steve and Jason. Those guys are so cool and interesting. I didn't meet Raine. I got a photo with Duncan, but like a dumb ass I forgot to get one with Steve and Jason. Well the night was almost perfect (lol). I'm going to chase the band to the HOB Chicago tomorrow night for one more show.

P.S. If you go to a US concert this tour, show up early to see the warm up band, Smshng Hrts (Smashing Hearts, no vowels).They are a really good alt rock band.

Keri & Raine

Hugh23

Postby myownsatellite » 11/2/2017, 6:18 pm

I'll be honest, I was not impressed with Smshng Hrts. They sounded like a bunch of noise to me at the Clifton Park show. But for some reason I don't normally like OLP's openers. I think the last time I did was when they had Joel opening for them 12 years ago...at Clifton Park. Haha
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby xjsb125 » 11/2/2017, 6:45 pm

I will second that, and Tom will too. Props for getting on a decent US tour, but there is room to improve for sure.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Tinman » 11/3/2017, 6:59 am

Pack AD opened for them in chicago during the curve tour. I quite liked them.
Tinman

Postby JabsTinyMusic » 11/3/2017, 7:09 am

Audiovent and Greenwheel where great openers back in 2002.
JabsTinyMusic

Postby xjsb125 » 11/3/2017, 8:16 am

Pack AD weren't bad. The Pedestrian/Jets Overhead/Neverending White Lights openers were really great.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125