ClumsyMonkey.net

Turtle Music Fest August 1 Parry Sound, ON

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Turtle Music Fest August 1 Parry Sound, ON

Postby MattCTUSA » 6/15/2015, 8:01 pm

In case you missed the FB post earlier today, OLP headlining this Music Festival. Looks to be halfway between T.O. and Sudbury. West Coast is jealous :freak:

http://www.turtlemusicfestival.com/tickets.html

I would bet that IME are the headliners the 2nd night. Also, Limblifter, Hollerado and others.
MattCTUSA

Re: Turtle Music Fest August 1 Parry Sound, ON

Postby blueseeka » 7/26/2015, 6:56 pm

blueseeka

Postby titanMAX » 7/31/2015, 10:54 pm

So what do you guys make of the band deciding not to do the show?
titanMAX

Postby Adorably Nuts » 8/1/2015, 2:18 am

titanMAX wrote:So what do you guys make of the band deciding not to do the show?

Makes total sense. The stage looks shoddy and if they can't get basic answers from the promoter about safety- sounds like there was little to no choice for them Nobody needs accidents! Between Raine climbing things and the way the guys use the stage in general - I'd be concerned too. They seemed to spare no time taking them off their site ( well mostly anyhow ) ...the whole thing just sucks for the people who were so excited to see them! The venue will def. be taking heat over this one! The last venue they were playing at - a security guard was seriously injured. Doubtful they have much patience for unorganized events like they clearly are putting together...nor should they.
"I'm Not Done Yet"
Adorably Nuts

Postby xjsb125 » 8/1/2015, 9:15 am

Looks like a major communication breakdown. I'd be interested to hear both sides of the story. The stage looks a little ghetto, but it looks no worse than the one they played on at Corn Fest a few years ago. I feel bad for the people who were coming a long way to go see them. Glad I wasn't coming from Tennessee.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Adorably Nuts » 8/1/2015, 12:28 pm

xjsb125 wrote:I'd be interested to hear both sides of the story. The stage looks a little ghetto, but it looks no worse than the one they played on at Corn Fest a few years ago.

Something tells me the venue won't say a word about these bands pulling out. Their page & social media efforts surrounding this announcement have been pretty shady. When I saw them in PEI in the pouring rain , Metric pulled out due to "safety" and I remember being so thankful OLP didn't. That stage WAS pretty small and seemed underwhelmingly bare compared to other festivals..Even our meet and greet was in a tiny older camper that seemed to make the guys a little uneasy about having their space invaded..at the end of the day - there's clearly more to this story and they took the high road and addressed their fans that bought tickets, which is something TMF has yet failed to do.

As a sidenote: Metric never bothered to even step foot out and apologize to those waiting hours in the cold rain..it's all about class - and we know OLP has it in spades.
"I'm Not Done Yet"
Adorably Nuts

Postby xjsb125 » 8/1/2015, 3:29 pm

Saw a couple other stage pics, it's pretty janky looking. Hate that the band is getting flamed by non fans, but if the damn stage falls over on them during someone else's set, they'll understand.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 8/1/2015, 10:24 pm

xjsb125 wrote:Saw a couple other stage pics, it's pretty janky looking. Hate that the band is getting flamed by non fans, but if the damn stage falls over on them during someone else's set, they'll understand.

Funny you should say that Matt because Trusty said that the side stage did partially collapse and all remaining acts had to be moved to the "main" stage. I think they made the right decision. Safety first. It's unfortunate they're getting all this backlash. These people haven't had the same circumstances as we have. The aren't lucky enough to know the guys and know they'd never do anything to hurt thr fans.... And most of them are just trolls who love to bitch and create drama. :nod:
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby myownsatellite » 8/2/2015, 6:10 am

Anyone who claims to have been a fan for 20 years (or however long) and then says they're no longer a fan because of this was never really a fan to begin with. A bunch of whiny asshole trolls.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby faninor » 8/4/2015, 11:33 pm

Agreed. They very rarely cancel shows. Except for those due to injury and illness, the only other canceled shows I can think of there were one or two on the Clumsy/SM tour that were cancelled due to poor ticket sales... and way back in 2002 I think they cancelled or postponed a couple shows to fly out to LA for TV appearances. And a Y2K new year show also due to poor ticket sales. And of course when Jeremy quit.

They've played plenty of festivals, they're professional. It's pretty clear to me that something was very off with this festival. I feel for the fans who wanted to see them play, but I trust OLP and their crew's evaluation of the situation.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby RileyLewis » 8/5/2015, 1:02 pm

I still hold a grudge with Trusty over the cancelled SM show in Regina, haha. Right up until right before it was cancelled I asked him here if he was sure it wasn't going to get cancelled, and he said he was sure it was still going, and the worst case was that they would just book a smaller venue. Then it was cancelled and it was too late to get time off work to see the next-closest SM show in Winnipeg (since both Regina and Saskatoon only got Clumsy shows). Then afterwards Trusty insisted he never made promises, even though it's right here on the forum to see. Lost a lot of respect for him after that. Not the band, but him for making promises he was in no position to keep.
RileyLewis

Postby PaperMoon » 8/6/2015, 5:50 pm

If I were the promoter of a festival, I would make damn sure that I was on call, 24 hours a day, for several days leading up to the event. Not go MIA at such a crucial time. I'm sure OLP and their crew have had enough experience over the past 20 years to know when something is not right. It's not their first kick at the can. When bands have to resort to social media to reach out to the promoter because their emails and phone calls are going unanswered, that's completely unprofessional and unacceptable from a business standpoint. Mentioning their fear of not getting paid seemed to chap a lot of people's asses but what people seem to forget is that not only is OLP a band, they are also a business and with any business comes a long list of expenses that has to be covered somehow. I appreciate that they shared that as a legitimate concern and that they can be honest with their fans. Can't blame them for backing out due to numerous uncertainties.

Also, seeing how distraught the band was at their last show after the security guard was injured made it clear how much they genuinely care about the safety of everyone in attendance. How horrible would it be if someone died at their show due to improper safeguards? How could anyone live with that? How many more red flags did there have to be? Cudos to them for erring on the side of caution. They can get a crowd going pretty crazy sometimes. Hopefully all of the fans that missed out will get another chance to see OLP under better circumstances.
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby Long Jonny » 8/11/2015, 3:39 pm

RileyLewis wrote:I still hold a grudge with Trusty over the cancelled SM show in Regina, haha. Right up until right before it was cancelled I asked him here if he was sure it wasn't going to get cancelled, and he said he was sure it was still going, and the worst case was that they would just book a smaller venue. Then it was cancelled and it was too late to get time off work to see the next-closest SM show in Winnipeg (since both Regina and Saskatoon only got Clumsy shows). Then afterwards Trusty insisted he never made promises, even though it's right here on the forum to see. Lost a lot of respect for him after that. Not the band, but him for making promises he was in no position to keep.

You sir, are the worst. Glad I had no respect for you to begin with.

Trusty, along with others on this forum (Matt & Josh in particular) have worked their asses off over the past several years to connect us fans with the band and are responsible for the 300+ uploads on their YouTube page (including the clumsymonkeydotnet channel). I find it really sad and pathetic that you blame those who work with the band (and are a voice for us fans) for OLP canceling their show in Regina, 5+ years ago. Get over it. Stop acting like a child and take some responsibility for your own decisions. If you really wanted to, you could've figured out a way to get to one of the other shows.

You are the kind of person that I suspect blames others for everything that is wrong in your life. I feel bad for you that you lead a life like that.

To everyone else, I apologize for the rant. I try not to be as demeaning in my everyday life as I probably came off in this post. This guy frustrates the hell out of me though.
Long Jonny
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby RileyLewis » 8/12/2015, 4:21 pm

I don't blame Trusty for the cancellation, nor the band. Ticket sales were low on the show and they had to cancel. What I don't respect is being told that it would not be cancelled (after a few inquiries, knowing it wasn't selling well), when they knew it was headed in that direction. It would have been like the band telling fans that the Parry Sound show was going ahead knowing that there were issues behind the scene. I congratulate them for being open and honest in this current case, but in the case of the 2nd Regina show they weren't. And I shouldn't even say "they" since the band wasn't directly involved, it was Trusty. He did a lot for fans and I thank him for that. But he was arrogant about that situation and made promises that everything was fine and that the show was going ahead, even in the face of poor sales and the fairly obvious case it was going to be cancelled. But being that he was an insider, I trusted him and I regret that.

Why else would you not respect me? Because I don't brown-nose to the band about how each release was better than the last? The band hasn't put out a 4 or 5-star album in 15 years, and we can't blame Bob Rock any more. Sure Curve made some improvements (and was a decent 3-star release, I'd say), but they are nowhere near the level of creativity they were in their prime. Most bands don't even make it past 2 or 3 albums (if that) so I am grateful for their music even if it's not as good as it was in the past, but it's disingenuous to believe they still have the creative juices they once did. And if the new album goes even further out there (Can't Stop Now-style) then it's even more reinforced. Hopefully Arnold Lanni will rein them back in and bring back some complexity and atmosphere into it.

I still love OLP for their live performances, they are one of the best bands out there for that. But my criticisms are valid, I think, of their newer releases. Curve was an improvement, but not a full return to form. Some of the recent demos have been outstanding though (Grocery List, Wolf (original one we heard, not the recent slower and quieter one), Warnings, etc. For some reason they keep neutering their songs in production though, or cutting really great tracks. That's a production decision, but one I think that hurts them.

So yeah, I'm critical, but I'm not just making up my criticisms, I think they came from a well-reasoned position. If you are capable of losing respect for someone based on their reasoned-opinions (even if they disagree with your own tastes) then you're the one who has issues, not me.

Just because I don't like the recent albums doesn't make me a monster, it makes me a reasonable person who can see the band has lost some of what made it great, and now second-guesses itself so much in production that it release shells of what the original songs were when conceived.
RileyLewis