ClumsyMonkey.net

i love college dont make fun of my paper tho!

Chat area.
Did you want to escape, try to escape the population?

Good or Bad?

Good
78%
Bad
22%

Total votes : 9

i love college dont make fun of my paper tho!

Postby gravity » 9/15/2002, 12:33 pm

Though the styles of Our Lady Peace have changed over all of their albums, the most evident changes have been made within the last two albums; Spiritual Machines and Gravity. Though Spiritual Machines is considered the “break-through” album, Gravity is the actual break-through. Through changes in the roles and actual members of Our Lady Peace, and changes in lyrical focus; they have become a stronger band.

Our Lady Peace went through some major changes over the last two albums; the biggest is the change from Arnold Lanni to Bob Rock as a producer. Bob Rock was chosen as the producer for Gravity, which is a big change from the Canadian based Arnold Lanni. Rock focused more on simple “get your point across” lyrics, where as Arnold supported lyricist/lead singer Raine Maida’s cryptic and deep lines to add personality to the songs.

Another major change is the line-up. Mike Turner (Lead Guitar) left the band in the middle of Gravity. Mike was replaced with a Michigan native Steve Mazur at the very end of the album. Also Jamie Edwards left after the completion of Gravity to be replaced by Mike Eisenstein (married to female artist Kay Hanley).

The change in guitar players made a major impact in the style of the guitar. Mike Turner preferred the guitar to be in the background, and Steve brings it out to the front of the band with his added improvised solos.

Raine Maida’s style for writing lyrics involved being very cryptic with his lyrics with Arnold Lanni; Bob Rock insisted that Raine use more simple and straightforward lyrics in his later work. This simplicity is most evident in the song “Innocent”, from Gravity, the entire refrain is “We are, we are all innocent/ We are all innocent/ We are we are”. Raine’s refrains usually are deeper like in “The Wonderful Future” (Spiritual Machines) “If you believe in the world I'm calling/You'd be strong/So you wasted your time/You willed it good-bye/Time to be scared/You thought you could buy/Your last piece of mind/Time to beware”.

Another trademark of OLP is Raine’s “falsetto”. In all of OLP’s songs in previous albums, Raine would raise his voice into a high-pitched “wail”. This “falsetto” is not recognizable in Gravity at all, it was totally removed from Raine’s voice styling (due to Bob Rock’s influence). In my previous example of “The Wonderful Future”, the entire refrain is sung in the “falsetto”, whereas the innocent refrain is actually sung by children and not Raine.

The Bass and Drum lines in the two albums are very similar between the two albums. The two have always been an important and evident piece of the music put forth by OLP. Duncan Coutts (Bass/Keyboard) and Jeremy Taggart (Drums/Percussion) have managed to keep their style not just in these two albums but also in all of the albums.

Our Lady Peace’s changes have made them stronger musically, and they continue to change and evolve with the fans’ tastes. OLP will continue to change and make themselves more appealing to the current fans and also gain more fans. To leave you with a classic quote from Mike Turner "We're all in the gutter, but some of us look up to the stars, and you can be happy in the gutter if you don't know to look up. So the people who can become addicted and driven and sort of obsessed by music are the ones who look up and see the heights they can try to get to. But that drive never lets them be happy where they are”
<center><p><center>:brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: </center>

<center>Image</center>
gravity

Postby Axtech » 9/15/2002, 12:41 pm

:nod: Good.
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby superboots » 9/15/2002, 12:46 pm

very well written, but watch out for the passive tense! :nod:

Passive tense = the devil (in terms of academic writing)
HARDCORE!!!

OMG. I can't believe I din't think fo you
until now because when I think on
a scale of one to ten you're like YWELVE.
No, seriously?

I <3 my HLP!!!!!
superboots
EMO GIRL
EMO GIRL

Postby Joey » 9/15/2002, 12:51 pm

That was very good :nod:
Joey

Postby megxyz128 » 9/15/2002, 12:59 pm

Good paper, but don't you mean "If You Believe" instead of "The Wonderful Future"?
- megan.
megxyz128

Postby Axtech » 9/15/2002, 1:04 pm

I noticed that too. lol. :P
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech

Postby gravity » 9/15/2002, 8:43 pm

damn! lol yeah.....shit.
<center><p><center>:brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: :brad: </center>

<center>Image</center>
gravity

Postby gravity » 9/23/2002, 12:26 pm

i got 36/50 grrr. did you know that mike quote is a quote from oscar wilde? well the first part is....i lost points for that and not double spacing and didnt get specific enuff and stupid mla format stuff

<center>Image</center>
gravity