ClumsyMonkey.net

Rochester, NY - Oct. 4, 2018

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Rochester, NY - Oct. 4, 2018

Postby Hugh23 » 9/13/2018, 1:26 pm

Anthology - a previous auto parts warehouse converted into a concert hall. It holds about 1000 fans.

I'm going. Anyone else??
Hugh23

Re: Rochester, NY - Oct. 4, 2018

Postby myownsatellite » 9/14/2018, 5:15 pm

The husband and I will be there! It's a rare night "alone" and it's the weekend of my birthday so works out great!
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Hugh23 » 9/14/2018, 7:05 pm

Great! I'll see you guys there.
Hugh23

Re: General OLP News

Postby Driven » 10/4/2018, 9:29 pm

Any qualms or concerns that I had about the set list for tonight have been forgotten. They’ve been playing about 14 songs on each of the first three nights of this mini tour... tonight they played at least 19 that I can remember. Great set list tonight.
Driven

Postby Driven » 10/5/2018, 11:42 am

I was happy that I attended the show last night. The tickets were pricey compared to most acts they get at the club, $40 day-of. They get some decent acts there, too. I ended up finding someone trying to give away a couple of tickets, bought the pair for $40 total. Well worth that price.

The venue itself is very cool. It's only been open a couple of years now. It used to be a combination of two or three bars. One was a small concert venue, one was a Nashville themed ride-the-bull kind of a bar, and the other was an 18+ night club. All were dives. Whoever owns the spaces now opened up all three spaces into one, and created this music club. It's essentially two sections. Half of it is a stage/pit area, and then there is an elevated level on the other half of the club that has a long bar, some tables and some seating.

The crowd seemed pretty large. The space holds upwards of 1,000 people. The lower level was packed, and the upper level was pretty full as well. They had some stadium seating type of deal in between the two levels. We stood there and had a fantastic view all night.

Oak and Ash were an awesome opener. Sounded like a cross between the 1975 and Kings of Leon. Really impressed by them.

OLP sounded great, but I will say that I don't think that the instruments were mixed well. For the first three songs, I could barely hear Steve's guitar and even Raine's vocals at times. The whole thing just sounded like Duncan's bass and Jason's bass drum. It seemed to get somewhat better as the night went on, but if I didn't know the songs, I don't know if I would have enjoyed it. They opened with Hiding Place for Hearts, which I think was their worst live song of the night, possibly due to the sound issues.

I thought Raine sounded very good, the crowd was very good, and the band's music had a lot of energy live. Jason's inclusion into the band really gave me more interest in OLP. I always thought Jeremy was the most talented musician of the bunch, and he was, but Jason is a crazy good and charismatic drummer who fits the group better at the moment.

The setlist went something like this. Definitely messed up the order, not even sure what songs they played in each encore, or what order they were really in. Starseed went on last, Rabbits was also in the last encore.

Hiding Place for Hearts
Angels/Losing/Sleep
Superman's Dead
Innocent
Drop Me in the Water
Is Anybody Home?/Maps
In Repair
Somewhere Out There
Naveed
Thief
Clumsy
Right Behind You
4am

One Man Army
Head Down
Ballad of a Poet
Not Enough

Rabbits
Starseed

Also a side note. They were doing a soundcheck around 5:30PM or so according to their instagram. I was driving about a mile down the street and I think I saw Raine going for a run. 95% sure it was him but I'm not sure why he wasn't at the sound check lol.
Driven

Postby myownsatellite » 10/5/2018, 6:06 pm

I thought it was a great show and I'm glad we made the trip out for it. Definitely in my top shows (although I feel like every OLP show I've been to has been up top). When they came out and started Hiding Place for Hearts I was a little disappointed - I thought Raine would be phoning it in. My husband later pointed out that he looked like he was having sound issues, and then he noticed that the sound guys were making some adjustments. Raine got much more into it after that song. The energy in the room was incredible.

Raine said something about this being the last tour for a [something] time and then something I couldn't quite catch, and that they were going to play for a "fucking long time." Did anyone hear what he said?
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Locobone » 10/5/2018, 10:12 pm

He said this was the last official show touring in support of Somethingness so they were going to play a long time.
Locobone
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby myownsatellite » 10/6/2018, 7:36 am

Thanks Tom, I was very confused and a little worried :P
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Hugh23 » 10/6/2018, 1:57 pm

9:05pm

1. Hiding Place for Hearts
2. Angels/Losing/Sleep
3. Superman's Dead
4. Innocent
5. Drop Me in the Water
6. Is Anybody Home?
7. Maps (cover by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
8. In Repair - acoustic
9. Life - acoustic
10. Somewhere Out There - acoustic
11. Right Behind You (Mafia)
12. Thief
13. Naveed
14. Clumsy
15. 4am

Encore 1
1. Head Down
2. Not Enough
3. One Man Army
4. Ballad of a Poet

Encore 2
1.Rabbits
2. Starseed

10:50pm

Here I am writing my review of this concert a day and a half after it occurred and I still have a warm, excited glow inside me. I have seen some awesome OLP concerts, but I would have to rank this the best one I've seen for many reasons. First of all, this crowd was an intense group of fans. I have a very loud voice. No one can out cheer me or out sing me. My voice was drowned out from the moment OLP stepped on stage. The fans knew all the lyrics and sung along with Raine. The venue capacity is 1000 people. There was about 850-900 rabid fans cheering and singing along. It was good to see Tom (locobone) standing a few feet from me.

This was one of those concerts where the band fed off the energy from the crowd. Each of the four guys in the band gave a special performance. As I mentioned, I love to sing along and imitate Raine. I know all the lyrics and I've tried to learn his vocal and stage mannerisms, but he's almost impossible to imitate because he sings the songs slightly different each concert (and I don't mean he changes the lyrics). Sometimes he will sing exactly like the album and hit each falsetto note perfectly. Other times he will sing and hit the falsetto notes softly. Most of the time he will stand at his mic, strumming his acoustic while singing with heartfelt emotion. If Raine's really pumped up he will dart back and forth on the stage between Steve and Duncan while alternating his vocals between his mic and the bullhorn. This night Raine sang as loud and clearly as he could. He had to because if he didn't no one would've been able to hear him even through the loud speakers. Everyone was singing along with him. I loved it because Raine let the fans sing his falsetto parts. He would go mute when they came up and the crowd would fill in. As I said, Raine was singing as loud as he could. Occasionally, he would rock back and forth on purpose and his vocals would fade in and out perfectly with the song.

Steve was on fire all night, matching Raine's energy. By the 2nd song he began to sweat as he poured his heart into each song he played. Duncan was into it, too! He played both his bass and keyboards in a number of songs. During Starseed Duncan would slap his bass with his right hand and hold the notes with his left hand on the neck. He would then use his right hand to play some notes on his keyboard. He kept alternating back and forth. Very cool. Steve and Duncan have a number of cool back up vocals to Raine's searing lyrical delivery.

Jason is a great drummer and good fit for this band. I love how he attacks his drum kit while playing. He plays so loud. I love his energetic facial expressions during the songs with the hard and heavy beat. He looks how I feel inside when I hear live OLP music.

This show was special to me because it was the 1st time I heard Right Behind You (Mafia) live in concert. It was also the longest OLP concert I've been too! A full set with 2 encores for a total of 21 songs. Awesome!!!

The OLP band members and their tour manager have been so cool to me. The tour manager gave me an after show "meet & greet" pass. He also gave me two drum sticks Jason used during the show. I'm so thankful to him. I was only able to speak with each band member for a moment because there were others waiting to speak with them also. I enjoyed hanging out and watching them interact with their friends and fans.

Bands always write a set list before they perform. Raine told me after the main set the band discarded their plans for the encore and began picking songs to play off the top of their heads because they were so energized by the fans. When I met Jason I saw proof of this. He had taken a marker and wrote 6 OLP songs on his forearm so he could remember which song to play next. I showed him his used drumsticks the tour manager gave me (one stick was cracked because Jason was hitting them so hard). Jason laughingly pointed out his face was embossed on each stick. I love it!

Duncan treats me like his brother. He always gives me a big hug. Steve told me he played these last 4 shows with a painful leg injury. I couldn't tell he was injured when he was on stage. His performance was top notch. The fans, the energy of OLP and a fantastic, extended set list have burned this Rochester, NY show into my memory.

Hugh23

Postby Hugh23 » 10/7/2018, 8:30 am

I forgot to mention Trustytruster (Rich) was there at these past 4 shows. :dance:
Hugh23

Postby Driven » 10/8/2018, 1:37 pm

Did you guys spend the night in Rochester? Did you check out any places while you were here?
Driven

Postby myownsatellite » 10/10/2018, 7:29 pm

My husband and I stayed the night but we spent most of our free time at Wegman's because we don't have one at home and I needed my fix. We tried out a restaurant, McArdle's, which was good, but nothing spectacular. It was kind of an out-and-back trip, so we didn't really have a ton of time to check out local stuff. We did go about an hour out of our way to get Brook's on our way back home, though.......I mean, why not?
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Driven » 10/11/2018, 12:28 pm

Hmm... I've never heard of Brook's. What is that?

I grew up in Farport, where McArdles in. It's a decent place, pretty pricey. I love the high booths there.

Wegmans is amazing!
Driven

Postby myownsatellite » 10/11/2018, 8:04 pm

Brook's BBQ in Oneonta. We stop in whenever we're even remotely driving by...so like...within two hours...maybe once a year haha
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Neil » 10/26/2018, 1:07 am

Wegmans blows goat scrotes.
Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Niccoló Machiavelli
Neil