ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 4/14/2016, 10:46 pm

Personally, I prefer the final track on Gravity. The drums on this just sound fake and drum-machine-ish.
Forky Meets Porky

Postby Hugh23 » 4/15/2016, 12:10 pm

I enjoyed this Vault release the most because Made of Steel is one of my favorite OLP songs. The Vault in general has been great for me as a newer fan because I don't know all the history about the band and how the music developed. So it is a fun learning experience to hear different versions of songs. I found Raine's notes with this release fascinating.

I always wonder how songwriters come up with their inspiration for their lyrics and I think it is common they draw on personal experiences and observations when writing. I'm glad Raine shared his fascination with Superman when he was a young boy and how later in life as a young adult, he analyzed the Superman persona in philosophy classes at university. I can see how Raine developed his theme of Superman/Man of Steel/Superman's Dead/Hero's are not invincible (vulnerability).

I did not see the Superman connection to Made of Steel/Hero until Raine explained it, (but I did hear his message of vulnerability). Superman's Dead and Made of Steel are more meaningful to me as a fan now, then before, because I understand the root of Raine's connection with Superman and comic book heroes.
Hugh23

Postby faninor » 4/15/2016, 4:35 pm

OLPManiac wrote:do you think that this demo was written (and maybe recorded) entirely by Raine?

From Raine's notes for the Vault release, it sounds like he recorded a version on his own but this is one of three versions that were recorded with the band.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby myownsatellite » 4/15/2016, 8:39 pm

It was a bit of an underwhelming release considering how long it's been since the last one, and I prefer the album version myself. But it was an interesting and different take on the song. Alt versions are always fun to hear, even if I liked the final one better.

OT: Does anyone remember when Fiona Apple released Extraordinary Machine? I feel like there was a leaked "alt" version of the album that wasn't supposed to be released. The songs were the same but were all different versions. I remember I really liked that alt album. Or maybe I'm just imagining things.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby faninor » 4/16/2016, 11:11 pm

That's right - I have MP3s if you need them. The leaked album was produced by Jon Brion so his name is usually attached to it to differentiate from the final version (which was produced by Brian Kehew and -- OLP crossover -- Mike Elizondo).
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby myownsatellite » 4/17/2016, 9:32 am

That would be awesome! Both versions were fantastic, but for some reason I really connected more with the leaked one. Sometimes when I listen to the final version I hear the originals in my head. Haha :)
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby ivewaited » 5/3/2016, 6:04 pm

Is this the same vocal take as the original? It sure sounds like it otherwise that's damn impressive.

Whats up with OLP? Are they coming out with a new cd or did they just do a song with Lanni?

More vault.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby xjsb125 » 5/3/2016, 6:45 pm

I think some of the vocals are the same, but not all. No word on anything else. They have recorded a lot together, as in the band. As far as with Lanni, no completed songs to my knowledge.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Flynner » 5/11/2016, 8:01 pm

What is going on with new music?? They released a snippet of a new song so long ago and then nothing for months
Flynner

Postby MindsOnLoan » 5/11/2016, 8:10 pm

Flynner wrote:What is going on with new music?? They released a snippet of a new song so long ago and then nothing for months

You sound surprised lol
MindsOnLoan

Postby RileyLewis » 5/13/2016, 11:40 am

OLP: The band that starts 10 things, and finishes 2...12 months after promised. We shouldn't be too surprised at them moving slowly on anything, really. Remember the cover contest from 10 years ago where they never awarded prizes? Or the special tour DVD they were going to make for the Evening With OLP vip ticket holders? They start a lot of things but usually don't follow through. Usually best not to get your hopes up.
RileyLewis

Postby OLPManiac » 5/13/2016, 12:36 pm

My greatest regret is the live DVD of Clumsy Spiritual Machines tour .. What a shame!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby titanMAX » 12/7/2016, 12:40 pm

It's been a while since the last Transparent Humans release. I've been hoping to get some cuts from Curve like Moth or Warnings. Hopefully we see more frequent releases soon.
titanMAX

Postby xjsb125 » 12/7/2016, 8:35 pm

I don't think they are done yet.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 12/8/2016, 5:26 am

Well let's see what happens...maybe for 2017 they're focusing with new music...at least i hope :)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Previous