ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

Postby MindsOnLoan » 12/30/2015, 8:09 pm

paintedbynumbers wrote:Guys this is a message board. A message board for a band. Not everyone is going to love everything they do and one of the great things about 2015 America/Canada is that we have the forum to express opinions and debate them openly. To jump down somebodies throat because they dislike a song or comment isn't going to change that persons opinion. Some of the demo's I have loved a couple I haven't. It is great that the band gives us these songs and I think we all can agree we are lucky to have them. The bickering though is really un-needed. MindsOnLoan has been on here for a long time and has had some great comments. Sometimes I have to wonder about the people who defend every single thing the band does.
Rant over Everyone please have a happy and safe new year!!

Thanks man. And agreed, any hostility on either end of the argument is unnecessary and kinda stupid lol. It's a non-issue, and arguments over opinions on the vault are just going to perpetuate the negativity the argument hoped to end to begin with.

Some people are going to be cool with whatever, and others will hope for something else. Nothing's gonna change that so let people say their piece and move on. Not everyone's gonna be over the moon about everything OLP. Coexist.
MindsOnLoan

Postby myownsatellite » 12/30/2015, 8:57 pm

paintedbynumbers wrote:Guys this is a message board. A message board for a band. Not everyone is going to love everything they do and one of the great things about 2015 America/Canada is that we have the forum to express opinions and debate them openly. To jump down somebodies throat because they dislike a song or comment isn't going to change that persons opinion. Some of the demo's I have loved a couple I haven't. It is great that the band gives us these songs and I think we all can agree we are lucky to have them. The bickering though is really un-needed. MindsOnLoan has been on here for a long time and has had some great comments. Sometimes I have to wonder about the people who defend every single thing the band does.
Rant over Everyone please have a happy and safe new year!!

As has been stated, we don't care if they don't like the song. People are welcome to comment on whether they like the music or not. Complaining because they aren't getting what they want is childish. For the record, many of us have been here a lot longer than MindsOnLoan, but time on the board really doesn't mean anything. My comment was directed at the people who are complaining about the notes being "lame," or acting like the band owes them. I certainly don't like everything OLP does/did, but I'm not going to sit here and bitch because we're getting free music they've never released before and it's not the material I wanted to hear.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby xjsb125 » 12/31/2015, 1:25 am

Zach, I would hope you always feel welcome here. I am generally very reserved on what I have to say. Agreed we all won't always be thrilled with all things OLP, I just hope for people to be able to communicate it in a way that isn't so awfully negative. There's a difference between "these notes are lame" and "I wish the notes had told more of the background of the song, I think that is just as interesting as the music." I'm sorry to continue to revert back to that example, but that's what gripped me in the first place. Regardless, carry on, carry on. If we get some more HIPT stuff, I still really want to hear those early versions of WTSOYF, Walking In Circles, and Picture.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/11/2016, 8:55 pm

Yeah I know. No hard feelings.
MindsOnLoan

Postby m2 » 1/16/2016, 11:11 pm

first off I feel I should preface with saying I am gravely sorry for all cringe worthy posts my middle schooler self left on this forum back in the day (that being said, can you believe burn burn came out over half a decade ago?)

Haha, Anyway! Rediscovered this band a bit recently and I must say, Happiness is a criminally underrated album and is up for some reappraisal. and with THAT being said, I'd love to see some '98-'00 stuff pop out of this stuff.

haven't listened to much from the vault, excuse me while I go catch up...
m2

Postby xjsb125 » 1/17/2016, 9:31 am

Welcome back!
xjsb125

Postby Flynner » 1/17/2016, 1:09 pm

I really enjoy the Vault releases and hope a new release is coming soon, but I really think its time for a new album it gets longer and longer between each album
Flynner

Postby OLPManiac » 1/17/2016, 3:35 pm

Flynner wrote:I really enjoy the Vault releases and hope a new release is coming soon, but I really think its time for a new album it gets longer and longer between each album

On this i agree with you...now we are 4 years after Curve (that was released 3 years after Burn Burn) this is a shame but unfortunately we can't do nothing...it seems that the band is fine with this new rhythms...however i wish that 2016 will be the right year for a new album :)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby PaperMoon » 1/17/2016, 3:52 pm

4 years feels like an eternity! I can't wait for a proper tour assuming there is actually a new album coming.
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby astute_99 » 1/20/2016, 3:10 am

I was content to stay quiet on this debate, but I do respectfully want to throw my two cents in.

I think we're all obviously anticipating a few tracks from the Clumsy/Happiness/SM sessions (and, to be fair, we've gotten some of those in Immune and Are You Sad), but I also think it's really cool to hear some of the things they were working on in the last decade, particularly HIPT. Adding Street Fight, Save Yourself, Vampires etc, onto my HIPT playlist almost makes it into a double album with a richer, fuller feel.

Could this entire promotion have been organized a bit better? Could it be more rewarding to the fans by giving us more frequent releases or at least consistent release dates? The answer is "probably yes" to both of those questions, but that in no way means I'm disappointed. In fact, I'm ecstatic. For more than a decade the fans and this forum were screaming for demos/bsides, and now over the past several months they've delivered an album worth of them after we thought it would never happen. I couldn't be happier with some of the surprises they've offered up, and some of the interesting takes on old classics which show the songcrafting process.

Additionally, it seems as though, based on our current knowledge (and let's be honest, if anything this promotion has proved there are many songs we didn't even know existed), there are still many releases to come. I suppose it's possible they give up on it for a while to really get down to the new album, but I don't mind waiting 2, 5, 10 years to get all those hidden gems and longed for lost classics (honestly, if i have to wait til 2025 for a studio version of Trapeze, with new releases in the interim, that's just fine by me).
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/2/2016, 12:14 pm

They were on Facebook yesterday asking for suggestions. Got me thinking, I really hope Trapeze hung around long enough to get properly mixed/mastered during the Clumsy sessions.
MindsOnLoan

Postby xjsb125 » 3/2/2016, 3:08 pm

Trapeze is what I'm holding out for in any release. That would be the ultimate for me. If they aren't going to continue breathing life into anything leftover from Curve, I'm also very interested in those tracks. That Trapeze tho...
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 3/2/2016, 5:11 pm

I wish in Warnings...the demo that we have is simply amazing and i need the full song...also Trapeze will be good however :)

OLPManiac

Postby titanMAX » 4/13/2016, 3:20 pm

Hero might be my least favorite release. Nice vocal but just don't really care to listen a second time.
titanMAX

Postby OLPManiac » 4/13/2016, 3:59 pm

Well initially when i read the mail and saw Made i was thinking to "Made To Heal", then i read better and it was "Made Of Steel", however i like this release...at least for me it's better than cd version...this is my point of view of course...for me is really better than the final version..i was hoping for Warnings but well i'm happy with every release...i'm one of the guys that when we're talking about Transparent Humans i'm always with the band...after all they weren't obliged to share this goodies with us...then i can't be grateful enough with the band!

OLPManiac

Postby ShatsBassoon » 4/13/2016, 5:31 pm

OLPManiac wrote:Well initially when i read the mail and saw Made i was thinking to "Made To Heal", then i read better and it was "Made Of Steel", however i like this release...at least for me it's better than cd version...this is my point of view of course...for me is really better than the final version..i was hoping for Warnings but well i'm happy with every release...i'm one of the guys that when we're talking about Transparent Humans i'm always with the band...after all they weren't obliged to share this goodies with us...then i can't be grateful enough with the band!

I liked it more than the original as well. I think it's the perfect example of messing around too much with a good thing.

This new recording sounds far more simpler than the album recording, as far as structure and melody goes but that's what makes it so much better. Although it still sounds a little pop as opposed to rock, which was a common trend on the gravity album, this song could've easily been complete on this take.
ShatsBassoon

Postby xjsb125 » 4/13/2016, 5:49 pm

I really liked the vocals on this track, and the guitar and bass. Didn't care for the drums, but enjoyed the track on the whole. Interesting insight into how Superman worked into OLP lore.
xjsb125

Postby faninor » 4/13/2016, 6:29 pm

Not sure, but it sounds perhaps 90% of the vocals could possibly be the same takes that were used for the album's main vocals. Nothing wrong with that though, it's a good performance.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby OLPManiac » 4/14/2016, 2:25 am

I agree with farinor...i think that except with some parts the vocal are pretty much the same of the final version...and i agree also with Matt...guitar and bass are really really better than the final version...i enjoy this release...this is yet my new alarm's ringtone in the morning :D

PS According to wikipedia's page for Gravity "Three songs written by the band made the record but most were written by Maida during the 2001 holiday season", and we know (also thanks to wiki) that the 3 songs were All For You, Bring Back The Sun and A Story About A Girl (and we know also Innocent), do you think that this demo was written (and maybe recorded) entirely by Raine?

OLPManiac

Postby MindsOnLoan » 4/14/2016, 8:47 am

A guilty pleasure made a little less guilty
MindsOnLoan