ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

Postby xjsb125 » 12/25/2015, 1:25 pm

They can't pull anything off those tapes until Duncan gets the appropriate player for them. They're data tapes, not random cassette tapes.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby MindsOnLoan » 12/26/2015, 12:56 am

Finally listened. Eh, definitely prefer Boy but this is alright. I recognize that humming at the beginning from the version in the Healthy DVD.

Another alternate version of something we have though, and from the Healthy sessions. Shocker.
MindsOnLoan

Postby titanMAX » 12/26/2015, 3:29 pm

They really don't have to do this. For years we all thought that this stuff would never reach our ears. Out of the blue they announce the Vault and have given us 14 or so cool tracks in a little over a year. I

It has mostly been Healthy stuff but so what? As Matt has already said Duncan has had trouble finding Happiness and Spiritual Machines stuff and we already know a bunch about Naveed when it comes to demos and songs left off of it. We don't know if any of those songs around Naveed have been done in studio.

I agree that that they should've probably thrown more Curve and Burn Burn(maybe also Clumsy) stuff in between Healthy releases but I don't think that they really pay attention to stuff like that.
titanMAX

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/26/2015, 4:17 pm

titanMAX wrote:They really don't have to do this. For years we all thought that this stuff would never reach our ears. Out of the blue they announce the Vault and have given us 14 or so cool tracks in a little over a year. I

It has mostly been Healthy stuff but so what? As Matt has already said Duncan has had trouble finding Happiness and Spiritual Machines stuff and we already know a bunch about Naveed when it comes to demos and songs left off of it. We don't know if any of those songs around Naveed have been done in studio.

I agree that that they should've probably thrown more Curve and Burn Burn(maybe also Clumsy) stuff in between Healthy releases but I don't think that they really pay attention to stuff like that.

Some people just like to complain. You're absolutely right. We're not entitled to anything. People can have opinions about songs but they really shouldn't complain because the stuff released isn't what they wanted. Guess they never heard the expression "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby xjsb125 » 12/26/2015, 6:24 pm

It's an interesting take on what became Boy. I like Boy, it holds particular meaning as a father of two boys. I like this take, though not my favorite vault release to date. Always interesting to see how some of these songs came to form HIPT. As for the comment about Steve's comments on the track being lame. Really? Only thing lame is that comment itself. Of course there will be more releases from HIPT. 46 songs in multiple variations over a 3 year span. Probably more than any other 3 albums combined. It would be very easy to burn through the back catalog of old and unreleased. The vault could be an ongoing thing, or we could use it up in a year or two. I'd rather it have some staying power.
xjsb125

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/26/2015, 8:43 pm

xjsb125 wrote:It's an interesting take on what became Boy. I like Boy, it holds particular meaning as a father of two boys. I like this take, though not my favorite vault release to date. Always interesting to see how some of these songs came to form HIPT. As for the comment about Steve's comments on the track being lame. Really? Only thing lame is that comment itself. Of course there will be more releases from HIPT. 46 songs in multiple variations over a 3 year span. Probably more than any other 3 albums combined. It would be very easy to burn through the back catalog of old and unreleased. The vault could be an ongoing thing, or we could use it up in a year or two. I'd rather it have some staying power.

Yeah, the comment about Steve was unnecessary... and people should know by now that I don't take kindly to negative comments about the guys... especially when it comes to Steve.....
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby faninor » 12/26/2015, 8:51 pm

I liked this one. Boy is a good song but I'm not really a fan of when they try to arrange their songs to sound like U2 in the studio with unnecessary percussion (Boy and Not Afraid are the most obvious).

Now that we know Boy was once called Street Fight (Weight of the World), I'm wondering again if it may be the last song on the 1st page seen in the 2004 holiday greeting. I've always seen "Weight of the Lord" or "Weight of the Word," but perhaps it is a very sloppy "world?"

-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby myownsatellite » 12/26/2015, 10:13 pm

Everyone who's being a complaineypants might as well just take that negativity elsewhere for all I'm concerned. You don't like the song? Fine. Talk about what you like and don't like about it (some of you are, and that's cool). You don't like what they're releasing? Well that's not your decision. These guys have been absolutely awesome to their fans (and to the CM) for 20 years. They put out great music and treat their fans like we're their friends. I've never been in another community like this one and met such wonderful people, the band included. They definitely do not owe us anything, and we should be happy we're getting what we are.

I'm getting seriously tired of all the selfish complaining going on with every release.

And there's seriously no need to talk crap about Steve, who is one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met!
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby myownsatellite » 12/26/2015, 10:14 pm

faninor wrote:Now that we know Boy was once called Street Fight (Weight of the World), I'm wondering again if it may be the last song on the 1st page seen in the 2004 holiday greeting. I've always seen "Weight of the Lord" or "Weight of the Word," but perhaps it is a very sloppy "world?"

It looks like they wrote "Word" with a very sloppy W. If it was meant to be "World," well someone's got spelling issues ;)
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 12/26/2015, 11:07 pm

Agree with all the opinion stuff. Discussion is great about the songs, but needlessly bitching about what Steve just ruins the whole thing. In any case, Boy has grown to be one of my favourite songs not just from HIPT, but by the band in general. I really like this cut, with the falsetto making it different enough to my ears to like both versions to the point that they might as well be different songs. And speaking of the whole song titles thing, is someone going to update the list of released/unreleased songs?
Forky Meets Porky

Postby xjsb125 » 12/27/2015, 8:14 am

The other thing I liked about this release was the stereo imaging, the way the sounds were panned left and right. Didn't sound overly compressed. Polished, but every instrument didn't sound like it was going to blow out at any moment.
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 12/27/2015, 12:59 pm

I would pay to have all the scrapped songs from HiPT despite the fact that the band told that the album was not their best...look at Save Yourself or Hurt Yourself...they are amazing...really guys...i also like this version of Boy...i really don't know why people it's complaining about the releases...at the beginning I was afraid that maybe we won't hear alternate versions of yet released song...but after The Wolf and Street Fight i'm really happy to see that they're considering also "known" songs...just relax :)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby MindsOnLoan » 12/27/2015, 10:28 pm

A scroll through most of this thread shows that I'm perfectly understanding of the fact there's much more Healthy to work with so naturally there'd be more Healthy. And I love some of these songs. I've also stated numerous times that I recognize they don't have to do this and that I'm thankful they're doing it.

But if I'm kinda disappointed by something, I'm gonna acknowledge that. Not every post is gonna be brimming with positivity but some less than enthusiastic perspectives outside of that are okay. 13 months worth of releases is a decent enough amount of time to have the feeling, "alright, but how about something new from a different era?" I realize that kinda stuff can't drop all the time, but SOMETHING lol. That kind of request isn't out of line.

Everyone chill, it's not that serious lol.
MindsOnLoan

Postby xjsb125 » 12/29/2015, 9:46 am

I think the biggest issue I have with complaints are the ones that don't deal directly with the music itself. I can understand a complaint that says "I didn't like this song because the guitar is too weak/Raine didn't falsetto enough/the lyrics bore me, etc." The complaints I can't understand are the ones that gripe about the accompanying notes, releasing demos and early versions of songs, releasing songs from certain periods, not releasing X unreleased song. That's what gets me, Megs, and a few others. The early versions of Superman's Dead, Are You Sad, and Consequences didn't really do anything for me, because I didn't really feel anything from the music.

Stefano, I agree about the scrapped HIPT songs. It sounds like there were a lot of really great songs that got cut, or got molded into something else.
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 12/29/2015, 6:19 pm

xjsb125 wrote:I think the biggest issue I have with complaints are the ones that don't deal directly with the music itself. I can understand a complaint that says "I didn't like this song because the guitar is too weak/Raine didn't falsetto enough/the lyrics bore me, etc." The complaints I can't understand are the ones that gripe about the accompanying notes, releasing demos and early versions of songs, releasing songs from certain periods, not releasing X unreleased song. That's what gets me, Megs, and a few others. The early versions of Superman's Dead, Are You Sad, and Consequences didn't really do anything for me, because I didn't really feel anything from the music.

Stefano, I agree about the scrapped HIPT songs. It sounds like there were a lot of really great songs that got cut, or got molded into something else.

I agree about Superman's Dead and Are You Sad...but Immune it's amazing for me...but they are personal tastes...in fact Immune is one of the favourites releases here on the forum but you aren't happy about them...and you are an "hard fan".
I wonder if the songs that "won't never see the light of the day" because they were OLP at their darkest side (like Duncan said on official HiPT interviews) will be considered for The Vault...really i'm curious to hear them...i will ask on Twitter in these days..
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Driven » 12/30/2015, 7:47 am

xjsb125 wrote:the ones that gripe about the accompanying notes

Just because you are looking for different things out of the vault than somebody else perhaps, does not make the other person incorrect. The notes are just as interesting as the music for me. Every song is a story, and every song has a story.
Driven

Postby Long Jonny » 12/30/2015, 4:19 pm

Honestly, I'm starting to feel bad for the ones who are complaining in this thread. I just feel bad for them. Something is not right about these guys. I've never heard grown adults act like such children over the fact that they aren't getting what they want. It must be hard to wake up every morning with such a negative attitude, and I really hope they get the help they need. I feel for you guys.
Long Jonny
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/30/2015, 6:37 pm

Long Jonny wrote:Honestly, I'm starting to feel bad for the ones who are complaining in this thread. I just feel bad for them. Something is not right about these guys. I've never heard grown adults act like such children over the fact that they aren't getting what they want. It must be hard to wake up every morning with such a negative attitude, and I really hope they get the help they need. I feel for you guys.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

ClumsyGirl618

Postby MindsOnLoan » 12/30/2015, 7:21 pm

I really need to take a long look in the mirror and start rethinking my monthly posts on a message board. This was the push I needed.
MindsOnLoan

Postby paintedbynumbers » 12/30/2015, 7:43 pm

Guys this is a message board. A message board for a band. Not everyone is going to love everything they do and one of the great things about 2015 America/Canada is that we have the forum to express opinions and debate them openly. To jump down somebodies throat because they dislike a song or comment isn't going to change that persons opinion. Some of the demo's I have loved a couple I haven't. It is great that the band gives us these songs and I think we all can agree we are lucky to have them. The bickering though is really un-needed. MindsOnLoan has been on here for a long time and has had some great comments. Sometimes I have to wonder about the people who defend every single thing the band does.
Rant over Everyone please have a happy and safe new year!!
paintedbynumbers

PreviousNext