ClumsyMonkey.net

New song "The Fix"

This is for you, this is for us...

New song "The Fix"

Postby Tinman » 9/27/2015, 8:48 am

Word has it The Fix was debuted at the show. People are descriBing it as "classic" olp.

O.o
Tinman

Re: New song "The Fix"

Postby Teedus » 9/27/2015, 9:25 am

I feel like no one got it, either.
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby Flynner » 9/27/2015, 10:03 am

Cool, finally a new song was played. Can't wait to hear it
Flynner

Postby xjsb125 » 9/27/2015, 10:40 am

Teedus wrote:I feel like no one got it, either.

Long Jonny said his phone died about 20 seconds into it. Maybe Bree, Tom, or Chelsea did.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby OLPManiac » 9/27/2015, 1:41 pm

Please guys i absolutely need a video :O can't wait to hear it...thanks God finally some new music!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Flynner » 9/27/2015, 4:28 pm

Flynner

Postby Teedus » 9/27/2015, 5:18 pm

When do you think they'll release it?
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby titanMAX » 9/27/2015, 6:11 pm

I'm gonna guess at the start of their Sound and Fury tour is when we'll get it, which is pretty soon. Possibly why the Vault has been quiet as of late.
titanMAX

Postby Flynner » 9/27/2015, 6:17 pm

I hope this is a songg a part of a new album not just a released song like won't turn back, but either way I'll be happy with a new OLP tune
Flynner

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 9/27/2015, 7:27 pm

The beginning reminds me a bit of their live versions of Tomorrow Never Knows.
Forky Meets Porky

Postby Locobone » 9/27/2015, 7:36 pm

I got video of it. Sorry for the cruddy audio quality. I did my best to fix it.

https://youtu.be/AQhVzIu-DFg

Fix it. Get it? :jer: Sorry. I've had no sleep....
Locobone

Postby myownsatellite » 9/27/2015, 8:01 pm

It was good, but for some reason I'm not hearing the "old school" OLP in it. I really don't think we'll ever get that sound again, so I'm not disappointed, just don't get the comparison.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby MindsOnLoan » 9/27/2015, 10:10 pm

Yeah it seems like any time a new OLP song is played live, fans are always quick to say it sounds like the old them. The beginning kinda had shades of Naveed for me, but not the song as a whole.

Anyway, wasn't particularly excited by it but I don't dislike it either.
MindsOnLoan

Postby DG » 9/27/2015, 10:49 pm

I'm holding back on commenting much on it, as the recordings so far seem to make the instrumentals muted and bring Raine out, which is expected being live. But so far, I find it a bit uninteresting... I really want to like it.

... Won't Turn Back is a better song. Not how I want OLP#9 to be, but a better song.
DG

Postby xjsb125 » 9/28/2015, 6:14 am

I'll reserve judgement until I hear it in person or hear a studio version.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Tinman » 9/28/2015, 9:00 am

I like it.

It's not Classic OLP. I think "Classic" OLP is a near unobtainable dream. At least, I've given up on it. Mike Turner and Jeremy are not collaborating with the band, they've added Steve. The Creative mix is completely different now. The closest thing we've had to Classic OLP since Spiritual Machines was A/L/S, thats like, 1 in 40ish songs? It's just not going to happen. Instead, I try and embrace what the band is doing now, because I still enjoy their newer works. Curve to this is at least something I'd listen to if it was a completely different band, where as, I feel like I only listen to Gravity - Burn Burn because of loyalty to the band. If anyone one else had written those albums, I probably wouldn't ever have given them the time of day.

I think the track is good. I like it more than Won't Back Down, for sure, and it's closer to what I was hoping for from this new album- an evolution of Curve. It sounds like its got more of what we wanted from Curve (Emotion, angst, falsetto). It's hard to judge off of a live recording, but I'm excited to hear the studio produced version of this. I have a feeling (assuming they don't neuter it like the Wolf), that it will be a pretty awesome track.

Can I ask what you all don't like about it? Other than the obvious let down of hearing something is gonna be old OLP and then sound like new OLP?

It kinda reminds me of the Proclaimers with some grit, which I like.
Tinman

Postby MindsOnLoan » 9/28/2015, 10:44 am

Tinman wrote:Can I ask what you all don't like about it? Other than the obvious let down of hearing something is gonna be old OLP and then sound like new OLP?

I don't really care that it doesn't sound like "classic OLP." Curve was a new style for them and I love it.

The Fix just sounds kinda formulaic and cliche to me, lyrics included. There was nothing that stuck out as BAD about it; it just didn't stir up any type of reaction really.

Like I said, I don't expect them to "return to form" (which is even hard to define); I just hope they hold onto that mindset of making music they'd wanna listen to rather than music that people have come to expect as an "OLP sound" and retain that creative mindstate that fueled Curve.
MindsOnLoan

Postby DG » 9/28/2015, 11:04 am

MindsOnLoan wrote:I don't really care that it doesn't sound like "classic OLP." Curve was a new style for them and I love it.

The Fix just sounds kinda formulaic and cliche to me, lyrics included. There was nothing that stuck out as BAD about it; it just didn't stir up any type of reaction really.

This is my initial feelings summed up better. It seems like it's got a lot of reused ideas, melodic structures, etc. Almost generic, not in general music, but within the recent OLP discography.

I don't hate it. I'm still listening to it and like Matt said:

xjsb125 wrote:I'll reserve judgement until I hear it in person or hear a studio version.

My first thought after hearing it was that the studio recording would help it immensely, which I haven't really thought before in terms of OLP, weird , ha.

---

I just wasn't excited after listening to it like I was with The Wolf, Heavyweight, and even Won't Turn Back, when they debuted. Does that mean I won't end up overplaying this song in the future? Hell no.
DG

Postby Tinman » 9/28/2015, 1:08 pm

I could have sworn I had heard a demo of this song... one of the ~10 second blips the guys post on twitter, vault, youtube, or facebook. But I can't find it now.

Maybe i'm going crazy... :jer:
Tinman

Postby titanMAX » 9/28/2015, 1:48 pm

I believe that Duncan's Instagram has some clips of the song in the making.
titanMAX

Next