ClumsyMonkey.net

Burlington, ON June 13, 2015- Sound of Music Festival

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Burlington, ON June 13, 2015- Sound of Music Festival

Postby MattCTUSA » 4/15/2015, 10:25 am

Just making sure everyone has seen this! With Finger 11....damn, I wish I was back on the East Coast and able to drive to this one! :drool:

http://www.ticketbreak.com/event_details/9169

Hope they do some more festivals together...maybe one or 2 out West!

Peace,
Matt
MattCTUSA

Re: Burlington, ON June 13, 2015- Sound of Music Festival

Postby blueseeka » 5/11/2015, 8:55 am

Anybody have a promo code for this concert?
blueseeka

Postby Flynner » 6/13/2015, 7:15 pm

Set list? Any new songs played?
Flynner

Postby xjsb125 » 6/13/2015, 7:34 pm

They literally just got off stage 20 mins ago I think. Trying to find out the set info from someone there.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby xjsb125 » 6/13/2015, 9:00 pm

I'll have a full set posted afterwhile. Looked like The Birdman was the only thing that hadn't been played lately.
xjsb125

Postby xjsb125 » 6/13/2015, 9:40 pm

Monkey Brains
Superman's Dead
Automatic Flowers
Angels/Losing/Sleep
Heavyweight
Innocent
Is Anybody Home?
The Birdman
Somewhere Out There
In Repair
Summertime Sadness
Clumsy
4AM
Starseed
xjsb125

Postby saman » 6/14/2015, 7:22 am

No encore?
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby xjsb125 » 6/14/2015, 10:20 am

No, Weezer was on after them.
xjsb125

Postby Hugh23 » 6/14/2015, 6:43 pm

The rain clouds and showers chased our car along the 401E as my wife, Carolyn, and I traveled to Burlington, ON. from Detroit to see OLP perform live. As we neared our destination the clouds cleared and we had a wonderfully sunny and warm evening for a concert on the Lake Ontario waterfront. Good fortune followed us all during this trip. We were able to score tickets to a reserved area right in front of the stage along with about 200 other fans. On top of that, Carolyn won a Twitter contest for a Meet & Greet with OLP before the show! We spoke with ClumsyGirl618 who was also at the M&G. Our time with the band was very brief as we basically said hello to the entire band and snapped some photos. Raine did tell me the band is continuing to work on new material with producer Arnold Lanni.

We left the backstage area and watched the end of the Collective Soul performance from the reserved area. OLP came out at 7:50pm EST and played a 14 song 70 minute set as listed in a post above. There was a good mix of the most popular OLP hits. The Birdman was a nice surprise in the set list as it is a kick ass song and this was the first time I have seen it performed live. A few other highlights from the show I enjoyed included the acoustic guitar Raine played during Angels/Losing/Sleep. He had a large sticker on the front of the body which read Psycho Nomics. RK 2029 was played as the intro to In Repair, just as on the album. The song ended with an outro into Life. Raine whispered/sang one verse from Life as the music faded to silent. Raine immediately said In Repair was dedicated to Natalee who is a 16 y/o girl awaiting a heart transplant in the hospital right now. He said he couldn't imagine being in her position, waiting to be healed.

Raine continued to to converse with the fans before the start of Clumsy. He told everyone the band is recording new material and they haven't played live in awhile. Raine said playing live on stage beats singing in a studio. Finally, true to form, during the final song of their set, Raine charged out into the sea of fans. He jumped down from the stage and went through the reserved area to the barrier for the GA section. He climbed up on the barrier and he balanced precariously on top of it until he reached out his free arm not holding the microphone. A male fan reached out and grabbed Raine's hand and helped him hold his balance as he sang Starseed.

The entire band's performance was great. Raine sang with emotion and angst. His voice fluctuated beautifully as it should, closely to the way he recorded his lyrics originally. He purposely did not hit the high falsetto notes. Steve and Duncan were on fire too! Steve was laying down the classic OLP guitar riffs which kept everyone dancing as Duncan held up his end of the beat, intensely plucking notes on his bass and singing backup with Steve. Robin Hatch added an esoteric vibe on her keyboard as she also added her voice to back up Raine.

I was disappointed when Jeremy Taggert left OLP to pursue other goals, but Raine and his band mates chose a good replacement in touring drummer Jason Pierce. He was playing on a new set of DW drums which had a unique light blue color and a sparkle finish. Jason is a high energy drummer who is very entertaining to watch. He flails about rhythmically, driving the beat of each song with emotion and some great facial expressions. I'm not saying he is better or worse then Taggert. I feel he is a good fit for the band.

After the OLP set we watched Wheezer perform. It was our first time seeing them and they were good. When the concert was over we lingered about in front of the stage. By chance Steve walked by. We stopped him and told him how much fun we had at the show and how much we enjoyed his performance. He told Carolyn and I the band hadn't played live in awhile and they were a little rusty. He said we might have noticed a few mistakes, but it just felt great to play to a live audience. Steve also told us the band is recording new material and looking forward to touring again when the new album is completed. Below are a few pictures Carolyn took at the show:

Looking out over Lake Ontario:

Hugh23

Postby Flynner » 6/14/2015, 10:11 pm

Thanks for the write up, sounds like a great show
Flynner

Postby PaperMoon » 6/15/2015, 6:51 pm

Hugh23, the descriptive play by play is much appreciated as I like to live vicariously through other people's concert experiences. :mrgreen: Great pics, too!
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby MattCTUSA » 6/15/2015, 7:56 pm

Welcome, Hugh and great review! Thanks for sharing the pics! After seeing some videos of F11 and now OLP, really wish I coulda been there!
MattCTUSA

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 6/15/2015, 8:07 pm

Haha. Thanks for writing this Hugh! Jason is a really cool guy and he's added so much energy to their performance that has been lacking for a few years. I didn't notice it until the first time I saw him play with them last year. Robin even commented on it. She felt guilty saying it because she loves Jer.

It was good to randomly bump into you.... again.

I didn't take many pics other than with the guys.

“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby Hugh23 » 6/16/2015, 10:45 am

Thanks guys for the nice welcome! I am glad to be part of your community. :D

ClumsyGirl618, I imagine we will continue to run into each other at OLP concerts. Like you, I enjoy road tripping to multiple shows when the band is on tour. I also like to write about my concert experiences and this is the perfect forum to do it in.
Hugh23

Postby titanMAX » 6/17/2015, 6:48 pm

Just watched some of the Burlington show and wow they were just on fire. Duncan's bass seemed a little louder than usual and you could tell that all the guys were super into it.
titanMAX

Postby DG » 6/20/2015, 9:11 pm

Did anyone get a good recording of Automatic Flowers? The only one on youtube is blown out.
DG

Postby OLPManiac » 6/21/2015, 4:56 am

I'd like to see also The Birdman...but unfortunately there isn't nothing on youtube.
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby OLPManiac » 7/4/2015, 12:36 pm

I found the full show on youtube in UHD quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9_lm_CQbg