ClumsyMonkey.net

The Fillmore Detroit - Dec 4

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

The Fillmore Detroit - Dec 4

Postby xjsb125 » 10/22/2014, 11:43 pm

It just so happens that Bush is one of Heather's all time favorite bands. Who'll be joining us on this adventure?
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: The Fillmore Detroit - Dec 4

Postby Hugh23 » 12/5/2014, 1:27 am

I was at this show. It was a festival type concert sponsored by a local radio station. 5 or 6 bands performed. OLP played second from last before the co-headliner, Bush. The band played 14 songs during a 70 minute show with no encore. Raine and the entire band were fantastic. Raine was very expressive and sang with and without his guitar. He was gliding energetically back and forth across the stage from his center mike position, interacting with his band mates and the fans. Raine sang the songs with emotion, hitting every voice inflection wonderfully, while occasionally using a bullhorn to amplify his voice. I really enjoyed the OLP portion of the concert. The new drummer was good and there was a female keyboardist, not Raine's wife. Steve and Duncan were fantastic, too! I am a newer fan, but I believe I recorded the entire set list properly and in order. Please correct me if I made any mistakes.

9:15pm EST

1. Rabbits
2. One Man Army
3. Innocent
4. Superman's Dead
5. Paper Moon
6. In Repair (Raine dedicated this song to a close friend of the band who is fighting cancer)
7. Summertime Sadness (Lana Del Ray cover)
8. Heavyweight
9. Is Anybody Home?
10. Somewhere Out There
11. Won't Turn Back
12. Clumsy
13. 4am
14. Starseed

10:25pm

At the start of 4am, Raine was standing stage right next to a large statue of a knight in armor carved into the wall at the end of the stage. He contemplated climbing it before starting the song, then he suddenly changed his mind and jumped down from the stage and raced up a side corridor to the end of the GA main floor where the tiered viewing areas began. He found a brass railing separating the two areas and climbed up balancing carefully with the help of the security guard and the surrounding fans. He walked the brass railing like a tightrope into the crowd until he found its end. When he stopped he was standing 6 feet in front of me! He began to sing and encouraged the fans to sing parts of the song. My wife video recorded the first half of 4am and snapped some photos of this. Definitely a highlight for me. I will post the video and photos here soon.
Hugh23

Postby xjsb125 » 12/5/2014, 9:06 am

You got it right! Welcome to the board! Pretty solid show, with the same set that has been working this past summer. Bob Claus allegedly had an elf there...
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 12/5/2014, 10:28 am

I was thinking that was too late for Bob Claus...this is a great news! :D
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby LifeRiot » 12/5/2014, 2:58 pm

I went and it was great. Bush was awful because their lighting was so overwhelming I couldn't actually see the stage because the lights were directly in my eyes. I'm writing up a concert diary on it for my website SocialUnderground.com (Which I have mentioned OLP and Mazur before in something called The Underground Issue 1)

Also, if you were in the balcony and saw that well dressed gentleman get tripped and fall down the stairs to jack his elbow? That was me.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby Hugh23 » 12/6/2014, 9:56 pm

Raine in the middle of the fans during 4am at the Fillmore Detroit:

Last edited by Hugh23 on 12/6/2014, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh23

Postby faninor » 12/6/2014, 10:13 pm

LifeRiot wrote:Bush was awful because their lighting was so overwhelming I couldn't actually see the stage because the lights were directly in my eyes.

But how did they sound? :lol:

I think I had that happen with OLP once long ago. Annoying, but I get that they're playing in venues with different layouts every night and it's not always possible to adjust and get the lighting to work for every seat in the limited amount of time they have to set up.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby xjsb125 » 12/6/2014, 11:23 pm

Their set was great. The Fillmore had an amazing sound. I shot pics up front the first three songs and it even sounded great there. The lighting was a bit heavy for OLP and Bush (they shared lighting rigs for the night).

Solid show for OLP, but Steve was a bit off on a few songs. You could see him get a little frustrated. It may have been during innocent, he played the wrong chords and just looked back and shook his head.

How about Smashing Satellites? Did they suck or what? Awful.

Adding a fifth band was a bad move. I think 4 bands on a bill is too much. The fact that SS was so late cut down everyone else's times.

Sorry you took a spill. Those balconies were steep!
xjsb125

Postby LifeRiot » 12/7/2014, 11:11 am

If you guys want to read my concert diary (or post it on the front page :) ) That'd be cool. My editor is thrilled with it.

http://socialunderground.com/2014/12/07 ... e-detroit/
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby titanMAX » 12/7/2014, 2:21 pm

Door guy sounded like a huge prick.
titanMAX

Postby LifeRiot » 12/7/2014, 2:35 pm

He was, which is why I told him exactly why his not giving me a wristband was useless. Dressing nicely, looking distinguished, BEING 29... wristbands mean exactly nothing. I didn't get it. I drank a 40 and 2 beers over the period of 4 hours. Then, ran my ass off to make the concert in time and this douche didn't give me a wristband. Thanks for reading, titanMAX!
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby faninor » 12/8/2014, 1:07 am

I'm not sure what a concert diary should be, but I guess I was expecting more about the concert.

Grammar check:

I didn’t take any videos or further pictures because no one watches garbage videos from a concert that was taken on a cellphone.

We showed up and some band was still playing and singing words that wasn’t discernible at all.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby xjsb125 » 12/8/2014, 1:39 am

I like how you rag on the one person who does care about their job, doing it. I'm sure you respectfully explained why you were winded, and didn't present it in a way that made you seem entitled and somehow superior because you have money and dress nice. It's also cool that you talk about adhering to drinking and driving laws like a good citizen, yet profess about how you did whatever you wanted and drank as a minor. The wristbands may mean nothing to you, and nothing to the bartenders, but it's a formal means for the venue to show they are trying to be compliant with the law. It's effectiveness is obviously terrible, but to flame the one guard for attempting to do his job and make a judgment call where the ball is in his court is a bit off.

I do, however, get the point of the diary. It's more of the concert experience and events surrounding it than the concert itself. I would have liked to see some description of the theatre, to help readers who may not have been in it before get an understanding of how awesome the venue is. It's a top 3 venue for me in terms of appearance. Also, maybe some words on the post concert and what you guys did afterwards. The bar description was good, I'm sure there are readers who had no idea that a neat place like that was there.
xjsb125

Postby xjsb125 » 12/8/2014, 1:43 am

On a different note, I'll have pictures from OLP and Bush later this week. Not my best crop from OLP, but I only had three songs to shoot this time and not the whole set. Plus there were like, 10 photographers with me in that tiny pit.
xjsb125

Postby PaperMoon » 12/8/2014, 11:10 am

I was personally hoping for a more in depth review of Steve's beard. 8-)

Anyone...??
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby LifeRiot » 12/8/2014, 2:33 pm

We just left, went to National Coney Island, and then I iced my elbow and knee down. I wrote this the morning after based on notes I took at the concert. I sent that concert pic to my editor and he said WRITE ABOUT IT! Also, about the guy doing his job. He was jabbing his finger into my shoulder trying to intimidate me. Doing your job is one thing, but being a douchebag bouncer is another.

Expect to see this story on OLP's Twitter within the next few hours. If they liked it, that's all that matters to me. And Bush sounded great, but I can't stare into the Sun for an hour.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby myownsatellite » 12/8/2014, 7:01 pm

Meh. You barely wrote about the concert. It's less a concert diary and more a "look how much we can drink before a show" diary. I don't expect to see it taken as a serious review by the band, considering you pretty much talked shit about the venue and the fact that you were drinking even though you didn't have a wristband.

But whatevs.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby xjsb125 » 12/10/2014, 11:01 am

Here are my OLP photos from the show. Not my best crop, but I did get a few decent ones.

http://www.xjsb125.com/?page_id=40&album=2&gallery=40
xjsb125

Postby titanMAX » 12/11/2014, 12:19 am

Just out of curiosity, how was Won't Turn Back? Out of the few shows they played recently it hasn't exactly blown me away.
titanMAX

Postby xjsb125 » 12/11/2014, 7:42 am

Good. The crowd seemed into it. I think the performance oof it in Niagara was better, but Raine did better with the lyrics this time ;).
xjsb125

Next