ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

This is for you, this is for us...

OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

Postby xjsb125 » 11/21/2014, 11:17 pm

As we all prepare for the unthinkable, list the one song from the vault you hope will be released, and why.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

Postby A2K » 11/22/2014, 12:31 am

Studio recording of trapeze. One of my favorite all time songs, never heard it live.
A2K

Postby RileyLewis » 11/22/2014, 12:38 am

Well if we're talking dream song, then it would be Not Afraid with the Juno award lyrics/arrangement.

Realistically it's Vampires I guess, followed by Tales From a Grocery List and Warnings.
RileyLewis

Postby xjsb125 » 11/22/2014, 1:07 am

One!
xjsb125

Postby xjsb125 » 11/22/2014, 1:08 am

I think Trapeze for me as well. It progressed live, so I'd love to hear how it ended up in the studio.
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 11/22/2014, 5:10 am

It's hard to pick up only one song....however if i think that we have a lot of live recordings of some unreleased songs i will choose Warnings....damn guys every time i listen to the demo i can't explain why the song wasn't in Curve....is really amazing and has a Spiritual Machine vibe to me! Damn monday can't come soon enough :D
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Teedus » 11/22/2014, 9:38 am

I'd love the original version of Where Are You? titled Best Day with that wayyyyy better chorus.
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby A2K » 11/22/2014, 10:10 am

Just making conversation.... I never really liked the demo for vampire's, I was pretty happy when I learned it wasn't on Hipt, not that the rest of that album was much better anyway.
A2K

Postby Flynner » 11/22/2014, 12:21 pm

Can't wait for vampires, just sounds like such a cool rock song.
I know you said only one but it's too hard I also really really hope warnings and tales from a grocery list are on it!
Flynner

Postby Locobone » 11/22/2014, 12:48 pm

Monday will be like Christmas morning for me. I can't believe the vault is finally opening. That being said...does anyone find the timing/method of it a little bizarre? It's something the fans have been asking (begging?) for forever and it seemed like it wasn't to be...and now out of the blue here it comes. I always assumed the reason they didn't do this before was part contractual reasons and part not wanting to do so. So what changed?

In the end it really doesn't matter...just making conversation..and I'm ecstatic they are finally doing this. Maybe it signals the end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one?

Bring on Monday!!!
Locobone

Postby titanMAX » 11/22/2014, 2:30 pm

Sleeping In.
titanMAX

Postby faninor » 11/22/2014, 3:49 pm

titanMAX wrote:Sleeping In.

Going by tracks we've heard, I'd agree. That one sounds like there's a good song in there, but the only recording we have is nearly unlistenable.

BUT... I think I'll go out on a limb and say I want to hear A Waste of Violence. Nearly included as the 11th song on Spiritual Machines, and none of us have heard a single note of it!
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby PaperMoon » 11/22/2014, 6:10 pm

Locobone wrote:Monday will be like Christmas morning for me. I can't believe the vault is finally opening. That being said...does anyone find the timing/method of it a little bizarre? It's something the fans have been asking (begging?) for forever and it seemed like it wasn't to be...and now out of the blue here it comes. I always assumed the reason they didn't do this before was part contractual reasons and part not wanting to do so. So what changed?

In the end it really doesn't matter...just making conversation..and I'm ecstatic they are finally doing this. Maybe it signals the end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one?

Bring on Monday!!!

My first thought was that perhaps the new album has been put on hold and we are getting these songs in lieu of the new stuff. My second thought was that they have kept us excited for a year now; first with the Naveed tour that got cancelled, then talk of a new album and not hearing anything about it. Maybe they wanted to give a little something to their fans to keep us happy?

Whatever the reason, I just hope it results in more shows in 2015!!
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby faninor » 11/22/2014, 6:13 pm

Locobone wrote:Monday will be like Christmas morning for me. I can't believe the vault is finally opening. That being said...does anyone find the timing/method of it a little bizarre? It's something the fans have been asking (begging?) for forever and it seemed like it wasn't to be...and now out of the blue here it comes. I always assumed the reason they didn't do this before was part contractual reasons and part not wanting to do so. So what changed?

Bring on Monday!!!

Almost missed this post. I don't find the timing too unusual -- the band had been planning that Naveed 20th anniversary townhall tour earlier this year, but obviously had to cancel due to Jeremy's departure. I feel like this might be an alternative, equally appropriate way to mark their 20th year. It did pop up quite suddenly, with little fanfare. Something like this deserves more hype, so I think Monday may turn out to be just an announcement with more details, not the actual release. Or they could be taking a gradual approach, and we'll get 1 song with more to come later.

As for what has changed, there could be many things.

Sony would have owned the rights to, at minimum, any studio recordings that they funded. The band could have bought the rights, or they could have received permission to share them. I've seen other bands that were blocked by their label from selling some of their unreleased music, but were legally able to stream or give it away for free. Or (and hopefully this is not the case) it's possible they're releasing "home" demos, which the band might have full rights to use as they please.

We know Raine finally reached out to Mike Turner again this past year, so perhaps Mike gave his ok for the band to revisit/release these older songs. Perhaps Jeremy was least interested in revisiting and releasing old songs, and he had been blocking this from happening more than the others?
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby PaperMoon » 11/22/2014, 6:46 pm

As per the OLP Instagram account......

"Not a new album (yet) It's Something different & special...something that was 20+ years in the making. Monday all your questions will be answered! Have a great weekend everyone!"
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby OLPManiac » 11/22/2014, 6:47 pm

OLP answered on their instagram (http://instagram.com/p/vuHLATNJ6i/ here is a tease for monday) with this: "Not a new album (yet) It's Something different & special...something that was 20+ years in the making. Monday all your questions will be answered! Have a great weekend everyone!" what do you think guys?
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby myownsatellite » 11/22/2014, 9:13 pm

Trapeze was my first taste of an unreleased performance-only song. Never got to hear it in person that I remember, and I've never had a studio version to listen to. I WANTS IT PRECIOUS
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby xjsb125 » 11/22/2014, 11:14 pm

faninor wrote:Something like this deserves more hype, so I think Monday may turn out to be just an announcement with more details, not the actual release.

My thoughts exactly.
xjsb125

Postby Teedus » 11/22/2014, 11:31 pm

Unless they pull a BEYONCE!
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby bd007h » 11/23/2014, 12:28 am

I want to hear some of the "darker" outtakes from the Healthy In Paranoid Times sessions despite the fact that Duncan said they'd "never see the light of day" hahaha
bd007h

Next