ClumsyMonkey.net

Rank Somethingness (Album & Songs) **originally Rank Curve**

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Rank Curve (Album & Songs)

Postby RileyLewis » 4/5/2012, 10:15 am

xjsb125 wrote:Rabbits reminds me of something that might have been left off of Avalanche.

Exactly, that's why I love it. It's an 'epic' feeling song, something Matt Good does really well, and I hope to see OLP do more of in the future. It's a shame it's not being played on the tour, because I think it would be an amazing show closer.
RileyLewis

Postby shadowraven » 4/5/2012, 10:26 am

edit: thanks for the help
Last edited by shadowraven on 4/5/2012, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadowraven

Postby Codes » 4/5/2012, 10:52 am

People either hate this CD because it doesn't remind them or bring back certain emotions that Clumsy,Naveed did

Or love it because "musically" I'd say it is their best CD in that regard.

It would be a top3 OLP CD for me if Raine's vocals were better. I feel after a million listens, there are so many areas in particular songs that just are crying for an old school scream. If This Is It definitely needed some kind of old school influenced vocals. The old demo had it, but it was missing on the studio version. The only really song I feel the vocals were exceptional on is "Will Someday Chance". The rest is all owned by the other 3, hence why I think it is their best CD musically.
Codes

Postby todddowney » 4/5/2012, 11:07 am

Agree
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby johnpeterson » 4/5/2012, 11:14 am

agree with the thoughts about the overall album and the vocals. i really think that this is the biggest grower of the OLP collection, and spiritual machines was quite a grower that took me a while to get into.

to anyone reading all the hype and listening to curve for the first time, it isn't just going to take one time to appreciate it. it's not anywhere near a rehash of anything OLP has ever done, which is why it takes some soaking in. it's fresh, which is exactly what OLP was doing from 1994-2002.
johnpeterson

Postby shadowraven » 4/5/2012, 11:21 am

so far so good, I haven't disliked any of the songs. None stick out to me yet though - just got to Find Our Way

I think the issue is vocals. Raine isn't using his falsetto freak out like he did in the old band, still. I'm sure it's a health/physical issue for him and not because he doesn't like it, but it's still the signature sound that sets them apart - it's the reason you can listen and immediately say "this is an OLP song"

Happiness is still my fave, with SM a close second. SM caught me immediately, and was my first OLP show. I'll never forget that show. So glad I got to see Mike Turner live once.

edit:

Wow, Rabbits > Mettle is awesome.
shadowraven

Postby johnpeterson » 4/5/2012, 11:45 am

shadowraven wrote: Raine isn't using his falsetto freak out like he did in the old band, still. I'm sure it's a health/physical issue for him and not because he doesn't like it

it isn't a health/physical issue, he can still do it quite well.... you definitely need to check out this performance of "all my friends" from just the other night (especially the chorus, wow) :nod: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dcaW_gLiM
johnpeterson

Postby shadowraven » 4/5/2012, 11:47 am

hmmm... I had thought in the past I had read that he was having throat problems and wasn't looking to do falsetto on albums anymore since he would have to preform it live that way every night. Thanks, I'll take a listen.

edit: listened, and it still seems like he's fighting with it. He pulls the mic away and it's pretty quiet, like he's afraid he voice is going to break. :oops:
shadowraven

Postby todddowney » 4/5/2012, 12:29 pm

:)
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby john.mcgarity » 4/6/2012, 2:20 am

This is my first post, so to start, I just want to say that I'm incredibly happy to be in this one place with so many OLP fans. I get so many people that I know that are like "um....who?" when I tell them about the band, but after 30 min listening to a mix of different songs, they're off to buy the records themselves and share with others.

That said, I was just pondering this topic when I found it. I'd like to share my lists with you.

Records
1. Spiritual Machines
2. Clumsy.
3. Curve
4. Happiness...
5. Burn, Burn
6. Gravity
7. Naveed
8. Healthy...

Tracks from Curve
1.As Fast As You Can
2. Fire in the Hen House
3. Rabbits
4. If This Is It
5. Allowance
6. Heavyweight
7. Will Someday Change
8. WIndow Seats
9. Find Our Way
10. Mettle

There's no disputing my two favorite records. Spiritual Machines was my first proper exposure to OLP (my best friend--who was a year ahead of me in school-- had brought home a bootleg of it from his first semester of college and played it for me during a party around Christmas. It even had RK chiming in mid-track saying "you're listening to _____ from the upcoming Our Lady Peace album, Spiritual Machines") and Clumsy was the first record of theirs I went out and bought outright because SM hadn't been released here yet. I just want to say that it's so difficult to really put their records in order. I love their music, all of it. They're my favorite active band. No other musical act evokes the kind of pure emotional response from me besides the Beatles. If I could only have 4 records with me on a desert island, I'd smuggle 4 more, and they'd all be OLP.

With the tracks from Curve, I'm on my 23rd play through with it. My favorites keep changing and I keep discovering new facets of the different songs that make me fall in love even more.

Cheers. Love you all.
John
"She builds her own satellite from an Old Rusted Chair"
john.mcgarity

Postby kenny_dlc » 4/6/2012, 6:09 pm

Haha, John, I'm nearly in the same boat as you, in terms of this being my first post, AND somewhat the same way I got exposed to OLP (first band I remember listening to when I immigrated to Canada at like 2000, I was only 6-7 at the time when I heard of In Repair and Life, two of my favs). Surprisingly, that album didn't get me "hooked" to invest in them... it was Where Are You and I still stand by it as my favourite song from OLP, from what I think is a "good" album for what HIPT was worth!

But anyways...

1. Clumsy (too good of an album with just nearly every song being absolutely amazing, even though there were some blemishes like Shaking and Hello Oskar (not as much).
2. Curve (explanation below).
3. Spiritual Machines (sentimental album to me, and solid songs all around, especially "In Repair" and "If You Believe", my favs)
4. Burn Burn (first bought album, solid 10 or 12 song album of Canadiana, and such a good "road trip album" for me :P)
5. Happiness... Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch (amazing album that would be #3-4, but it just doesn't stand out enough to be something special to me haha)
6. Healthy In Paranoid Times ("Where Are You" is my all time fav, and it's a good album if you don't measure it as a typical OLP album. It's daring, and although part of it feels soul-less and forced, there are still a lot of good tracks here damnit!)
7. Naveed (great album for it's time, and I love the raw energy. While I love the singles / Denied & Under Zenith, the rest are unforgettable to me. Also not OLP's most creative, though there are very cryptic lyrics and themes here)
8. Gravity (although I like every song except All For You / Not Enough (shush) / Sell My Soul, doesn't make it a good album to OLP's standards. I personally think post-grunge radio rock is the lamest shit, so it's basically a guilty pleasure for every listen I give to Gravity)

As for Curve: YES, I think it's even BETTER than SM, and was a few extra good song ideas away from without a doubt surpassing Clumsy. I think it's also safe to say that at this point, Mazur >> Turner, it just took him a while to fluorish into the amazing guitarist that he is. If this album is an indication, I have solid hopes that album #9 can do that, especially after hearing so many good ideas from their #OLP8 sessions scrapped.

Can't rate them all from 1-10, and it's my first post, so whatever ;) out of 5:

1. Allowance - 4.5 (nice and upbeat; love Duncan's bass and the intro)
2. Fire In The Henhouse - 4.25 (If it stayed as The Wolf, a 5).
3. Heavyweight - 5 (classic)
4. Window Seat - 4.5 (a bit slow, but a great song when in the right mindset)
5. As Fast As You Can - 5 (though I'd rather have something else as single #2-3, still a great choice; like what HIPT should've been)
6. If This Is It - 5 (loved the demo, love this even more. Epic solo by Steve!)
7. Will Someday Change - 4 (nice change of pace, but too much like Raine's solo stuff to be "OLP")
8. Find Our Way - 5 (love Taggart's beat... and this is probably where Steve surpasses Mike. THE BEST OLP SOLO TO DATE, bar none.
9. Rabbits - 5 (love the vibe in the verses / outro, and the chorus? pure catharsis)
10. Mettle - 3 (boring, but nevertheless a good way to sum up Curve, and the Chuvalo theme)

OVERALL: 4.5
Last edited by kenny_dlc on 4/14/2012, 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
kenny_dlc

Postby xjsb125 » 4/6/2012, 8:03 pm

welcome aboard guys. Very interesting to hear your opinions!
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby ArkaneOne » 4/6/2012, 8:17 pm

Having listened to the webrips obsessively, and having now listened to the album thoroughly, I think I can make a safe judgement on where I'd rank it amongst the incredible OLP discography. There aren’t any shockers, but hopefully my justification makes up for it.

1) Spiritual Machines – It had an untouchable aura for a while; there are 1 or 2 songs I’m not fully keen on, but the rest are of an incredible standard. In Repair is perfection.
2) Clumsy – My introduction to OLP (after hearing their song Whatever for Chris Benoit). The main singles from Clumsy set it apart, but I do admit there are a few songs that are mediocre. The ridiculous highs overshadow these.
3) Happiness… - It took my far too long to get into it, but once I did I was lost in the purely inspired atmosphere of the album. There isn’t a single drop in standard and I’d regard it as ‘Raine’s album’ in the way people are saying ‘Curve is Steve’s album’. It’s only behind Clumsy due to the weird nostalgic feeling Clumsy has.
4) Curve – A very difficult decision. It’s ahead of Gravity due to its consistency, there’s not a filler track in there. Its complete nature is very satisfying – definitely something I associate with the first 4 albums. Comparing it Naveed was difficult. Raine’s vocals got me in to the band, and I won’t deny they’re not on par with his best works in Curve. Despite this, musically it makes up for it, bringing a really wholesome feel to the album. Adding to this, Raine pack a punch with the Heavyweight verses (bad pun…) & Rabbits. The creativity is definitely from the Happiness…/Spiritual Machines region – that experimental diversity is what put it ahead of Naveed.
5) Naveed – Right, Naveed has always been a weird one. The erratic feeling altogether fascinated me, but it kind of worked in a bad way at times. But through more detailed listening, I’ve found that it is a very strong album that kind of gets overlooked. There’s a bit too much of the same sound, but it’s a remarkable first album with a truly raw feel.
6) Gravity – I unashamedly love Gravity. Its easy listening and the radio-intended choruses are infectious. Here in the UK, mainstream rock, or mainstream music in general, is quite a few miles behind Gravity.
7) Healthy in Paranoid Times – I’m quite a fan of this album. Half of the album is really strong in my eyes, you just need to skip a few songs. Al Genina & World on a String are 2 songs which I think don’t get enough credit.
8) Burn Burn – I don’t dislike Burn Burn, it’s a very good casual album. However, OLP have such a strong discography that it naturally ends up last for lack of overall creativity.

OLP still have a bit of work to do if they want to get back to their incredible heights; but with this new direction, and a fantastic comeback album, it’s looking more and more likely. I see the next progression from Curve would be an even bigger album, with an almost ‘Gravity – Stadium/Arena’ feel but at the same time very intimate. The only thing really holding Curve back is just Raine taking a few more risks with his vocals, something which he’s being doing a lot with the Urban Grind tour. That doesn’t necessarily mean crazy courteenor paranoid falsetto, just something to ‘wow’ us. There’s a comparison with OLP & a massive UK band, Arctic Monkeys. I don’t know how familiar you guys are with them, but they went from massive West Yorkshire edgy swagger to mellow poetic rock. They lost a lot of support, but their lead Alex Turner developed massively as a singer & lyricist, kind of how I’ve seen Raine change. I’d love to see a few more dark cryptic lyrics with a moody sound, but hey, it’s just how music develops, and I’m really pleased how Curve has come out.

1) Will Someday Change – I love how heavy and loud OLP have been in the past. I love the incredible crazy vocals, and even the mega sing-a-long hit songs. But what I think I love the most is those moments when you feel it’s just you and the music. In Repair, Naveed & 4AM have that in their lyrics, but are too popular to be properly intimate. Are You Sad? & Al Genina can retain it, and that’s what makes them amongst my favourite songs of all time. Will Someday Change is in that bracket. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it gets better with each play through. It may be very Raine Maida solo, but wasn’t the Julia Piano version? Give it time, wait until a live performance then we’ll see how it’s going to be remembered.
2) Heavyweight – Maybe the chorus could do with a bit more energy, but the riff is still catchy as hell. The verses are very well made; the lyrics are what pushes it forward though. It’s obviously the lead track with the theme, and I think that’s why I like it so much. It’s complete and really exercises a strong lyrical theme.
3) Rabbits –This could have gone so wrong, but in the end, it pulls through beautifully. It’s just a great composition that really impressed me.
4) Fire in the Hen House – The riff is too catchy. Legitimately too catchy for its own good. I’ll play FITH just to hear the intro, and then stop it. It’s a riff that has no chemistry with any vocals. But the slow agonising verses do a good job in attempting to add lyrics. I prefer the overall feel to that of ‘The Wolf’ – it fits in more. But the line from the old chorus ‘And I don’t belong here anymore’ – it had the energy that’s been missing at times.
5) Find Our Way Home – The guitar work here is definitely worthy of the praise it’s been getting. Steve hasn’t put a foot wrong, and his skill shines strong.
6) As Fast As You Can – Love how daring this is. It’s a sign of confidence from the band, and it definitely pays off. The mood is once again spot on, it’s a nice idea for the 2nd single.
7) If This Is it – Pretty middle of the range for me, but I do think it’s definitely a step in the right direction. It has such a good mood to it.
8) Mettle – I thought Chuvalo was an interesting person to bring in, but that was before I read up on his stories. Mettle is a haunting and is the ideal album closer. Chuvalo is an incredible man and his words are most definitely wise.
9) Allowance – It just hasn’t clicked with me for some reason, works as a good opener however.
10) Window Seat – its deep feeling is slightly subdued by a feeling of quietness. Maybe badly mixed, but still pretty good in the right frame of mind, as said before.
ArkaneOne

Postby todddowney » 4/6/2012, 9:35 pm

[quote="ArkaneOne"]Having listened to the webrips obsessively, and having now listened to the album thoroughly, I think I can make a safe judgement on where I'd rank it amongst the incredible OLP discography. There aren’t any shockers, but hopefully my justification makes up for it.

1) Spiritual Machines – It had an untouchable aura for a while; there are 1 or 2 songs I’m not fully keen on, but the rest are of an incredible standard. In Repair is perfection.
2) Clumsy – My introduction to OLP (after hearing their song Whatever for Chris Benoit). The main singles from Clumsy set it apart, but I do admit there are a few songs that are mediocre. The ridiculous highs overshadow these.
3) Happiness… - It took my far too long to get into it, but once I did I was lost in the purely inspired atmosphere of the album. There isn’t a single drop in standard and I’d regard it as ‘Raine’s album’ in the way people are saying ‘Curve is Steve’s album’. It’s only behind Clumsy due to the weird nostalgic feeling Clumsy has.
4) Curve – A very difficult decision. It’s ahead of Gravity due to its consistency, there’s not a filler track in there. Its complete nature is very satisfying – definitely something I associate with the first 4 albums. Comparing it Naveed was difficult. Raine’s vocals got me in to the band, and I won’t deny they’re not on par with his best works in Curve. Despite this, musically it makes up for it, bringing a really wholesome feel to the album. Adding to this, Raine pack a punch with the Heavyweight verses (bad pun…) & Rabbits. The creativity is definitely from the Happiness…/Spiritual Machines region – that experimental diversity is what put it ahead of Naveed.
5) Naveed – Right, Naveed has always been a weird one. The erratic feeling altogether fascinated me, but it kind of worked in a bad way at times. But through more detailed listening, I’ve found that it is a very strong album that kind of gets overlooked. There’s a bit too much of the same sound, but it’s a remarkable first album with a truly raw feel.
6) Gravity – I unashamedly love Gravity. Its easy listening and the radio-intended choruses are infectious. Here in the UK, mainstream rock, or mainstream music in general, is quite a few miles behind Gravity.
7) Healthy in Paranoid Times – I’m quite a fan of this album. Half of the album is really strong in my eyes, you just need to skip a few songs. Al Genina & World on a String are 2 songs which I think don’t get enough credit.
8) Burn Burn – I don’t dislike Burn Burn, it’s a very good casual album. However, OLP have such a strong discography that it naturally ends up last for lack of overall creativity.

OLP still have a bit of work to do if they want to get back to their incredible heights; but with this new direction, and a fantastic comeback album, it’s looking more and more likely. I see the next progression from Curve would be an even bigger album, with an almost ‘Gravity – Stadium/Arena’ feel but at the same time very intimate. The only thing really holding Curve back is just Raine taking a few more risks with his vocals, something which he’s being doing a lot with the Urban Grind tour. That doesn’t necessarily mean crazy courteenor paranoid falsetto, just something to ‘wow’ us. There’s a comparison with OLP & a massive UK band, Arctic Monkeys. I don’t know how familiar you guys are with them, but they went from massive West Yorkshire edgy swagger to mellow poetic rock. They lost a lot of support, but their lead Alex Turner developed massively as a singer & lyricist, kind of how I’ve seen Raine change. I’d love to see a few more dark cryptic lyrics with a moody sound, but hey, it’s just how music develops, and I’m really pleased how Curve has come out.

1) Will Someday Change – I love how heavy and loud OLP have been in the past. I love the incredible crazy vocals, and even the mega sing-a-long hit songs. But what I think I love the most is those moments when you feel it’s just you and the music. In Repair, Naveed & 4AM have that in their lyrics, but are too popular to be properly intimate. Are You Sad? & Al Genina can retain it, and that’s what makes them amongst my favourite songs of all time. Will Someday Change is in that bracket. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it gets better with each play through. It may be very Raine Maida solo, but wasn’t the Julia Piano version? Give it time, wait until a live performance then we’ll see how it’s going to be remembered.
2) Heavyweight – Maybe the chorus could do with a bit more energy, but the riff is still catchy as hell. The verses are very well made; the lyrics are what pushes it forward though. It’s obviously the lead track with the theme, and I think that’s why I like it so much. It’s complete and really exercises a strong lyrical theme.
3) Rabbits –This could have gone so wrong, but in the end, it pulls through beautifully. It’s just a great composition that really impressed me.
4) Fire in the Hen House – The riff is too catchy. Legitimately too catchy for its own good. I’ll play FITH just to hear the intro, and then stop it. It’s a riff that has no chemistry with any vocals. But the slow agonising verses do a good job in attempting to add lyrics. I prefer the overall feel to that of ‘The Wolf’ – it fits in more. But the line from the old chorus ‘And I don’t belong here anymore’ – it had the energy that’s been missing at times.
5) Find Our Way Home – The guitar work here is definitely worthy of the praise it’s been getting. Steve hasn’t put a foot wrong, and his skill shines strong.
6) As Fast As You Can – Love how daring this is. It’s a sign of confidence from the band, and it definitely pays off. The mood is once again spot on, it’s a nice idea for the 2nd single.
7) If This Is it – Pretty middle of the range for me, but I do think it’s definitely a step in the right direction. It has such a good mood to it.
8) Mettle – I thought Chuvalo was an interesting person to bring in, but that was before I read up on his stories. Mettle is a haunting and is the ideal album closer. Chuvalo is an incredible man and his words are most definitely wise.
9) Allowance – It just hasn’t clicked with me for some reason, works as a good opener however.
10) Window Seat – its deep feeling is slightly subdued by a feeling of quietness. Maybe badly mixed, but still pretty good in the right frame of mind, as said before
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby garrettjrussell » 4/7/2012, 10:28 am

Been following OLP since 1996.
I specifically registered an account to show Healthy In Paranoid Times some love. I know it drained their souls recording that album, but it's a masterpiece.

1. Healthy In Paranoid Times (10)
2. Gravity (9.5)
3. Happiness (9.5)
4. Curve (9)
5. Spiritual Machines (8.5)
6. Burn Burn (7)
7. Clumsy (7)
8. Naveed (6)

1. Rabbits (10)
2. Will Someday Change (9.5)
*3. Allowance ACOUSTIC (9.5)
4. As Fast As You Can (9)
5. Window Seat (9)
6. If This Is It (9)
7. Find Our way (8.5)
8. Allowance ALBUM (8.5)
9. Heavyweight (8)
10. Mettle (8)
11. Fire In The Henhouse (4) WHY CHANGE THE COURSE AND TITLE FROM "THE WOLF???!?!?!?!?" Terrible decision. The chorus now severely lacks.
*12. Heavyweight ACOUSTIC (5)
garrettjrussell

Postby NCdudeN2K4 » 4/10/2012, 10:26 pm

OLP 1.0

Spiritual Machines
Naveed
Clumsy
Happiness

OLP 2.0
Curve
Burn Burn
Healthy in Paranoid Times
Gravity
NCdudeN2K4

Postby RileyLewis » 4/10/2012, 11:43 pm

garrettjrussell wrote:Been following OLP since 1996.
I specifically registered an account to show Healthy In Paranoid Times some love. I know it drained their souls recording that album, but it's a masterpiece.

2. Gravity (9.5)
3. Happiness (9.5)
4. Curve (9)
6. Burn Burn (7)
7. Clumsy (7)
8. Naveed (6)

I have to say, that is the strangest ranking I have ever seen.
RileyLewis

Postby dumbandjaded13 » 4/11/2012, 1:18 pm

RileyLewis wrote:
garrettjrussell wrote:Been following OLP since 1996.

2. Gravity (9.5)
3. Happiness (9.5)
4. Curve (9)
6. Burn Burn (7)
7. Clumsy (7)
8. Naveed (6)

I have to say, that is the strangest ranking I have ever seen.

I thought the same thing, but I'm really excited to see differing opinions like that... these type of topics are good to show that some of the newer OLP fans view the discography completely differently. One of my friends didn't start listening until Gravity, and it always has, and will always be, her favorite... she tends to lean towards the newer CDs more, and I of course to the old. Also, if something happening in your life is strongly effected or reflected by a CD, you tend to view that CD in much higher regard, and often makes it tough to rank musically due to it's personal meaning (which is why SM will always be my favorite, hands down).
dumbandjaded13

Postby faninor » 4/11/2012, 1:25 pm

He's not a newer fan -- been following them since '96. ;)

I think HIPT is pretty underrated myself.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby m2 » 4/12/2012, 12:30 am

as of right now:

1.Spiritual Machines
2.Happiness...
3.Gravity
4.Curve
5.Clumsy
6.Naveed