ClumsyMonkey.net

What do you do?

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby kyks17 » 2/19/2011, 5:25 pm

I'm not sure if you're in the US, but here the labor law is not age-specific: you must have 8 hours between shifts. I learned this when I switched shifts with someone when I was working at Sav-on (now CVS) and it ended up that I worked until midnight one day and had to be in for the next shift at 6am. The manager told me he didn't realize the shift swap had resulted in that, and that it was illegal and explained about the 8 hours thing - I said I didn't mind it but would remember the 8 hours thing for the next time.
<a href="http://www.chairpage.com">You don't know the truth and I love your life</a>

Yeah Hub!!

I <3 my Joshy! Josh #1!!
kyks17

Postby twiqz » 2/19/2011, 8:30 pm

So me and my wife figured we would search for a good day care center 5 months ago, well we found a really nice one right up the road from our house and the rate is only $30/day so we got my daughter signed up and everything for it.

Yesterday, I found out my work decided it would be better for me to work until 7 (and not 5). My wife works until 8 and is not able to change her shift.....Not only can we not use that day care, but no day cares in my area are open until 7 and neither my wife nor I have any family that lives anywhere near us.

So basically my work is causing my wife to quit her job so that she can be a stay at home mom or work nights after I get home at 7:30, which allows us to have less income and in return is having me sell my truck, my 4-wheeler and cancel our cell phones and most importantly cause my daughter to have less things in life.

Blah.
You quit your job and you sell your car / Youll burn your clothes and pray to the stars

twiqz

Postby Kicker774 » 2/19/2011, 9:13 pm

Sucks to hear. No appealing to a higher power explaining your situation?
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby kyks17 » 2/19/2011, 10:35 pm

That really, really freaking sucks. Sorry to hear that. We researched the daycares here for later down the line when we have kids, and found out that the cost of daycare is the same as Josh's entire salary, so he's just going to quit when the time comes cuz if we have to lose that same amount of money, may as well not have strangers raise our kids. That $30/day daycare sounded like such a good deal.

Echoing what Kicker said, there's no way to explain this to your senior manager or something and see if something can be worked out? Like maybe you work in the office until 5, go pick up your daughter and work the rest of the day (7pm or maybe 7:30 pm to make up for travel time) from home? Lots of people at my office do that.
<a href="http://www.chairpage.com">You don't know the truth and I love your life</a>

Yeah Hub!!

I <3 my Joshy! Josh #1!!
kyks17

Postby twiqz » 2/20/2011, 12:11 am

kyks17 wrote:Echoing what Kicker said, there's no way to explain this to your senior manager or something and see if something can be worked out? Like maybe you work in the office until 5, go pick up your daughter and work the rest of the day (7pm or maybe 7:30 pm to make up for travel time) from home? Lots of people at my office do that.

None, the response i get is "everyone that works in your dept. has kids, if we were to work that out with you, we would have to do it with everyone else"

I just cant believe how 2 hours of time affects my familys life this much. Damn for me not knowing any baby sitters or living closer to the family i guess...

Thanks for listening to my vent though

twiqz

Postby Kicker774 » 2/20/2011, 4:05 pm

No family nearby willing to make the 5pm pickup?
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby myownsatellite » 2/20/2011, 5:18 pm

I would put an ad in the paper or see if you can go through an agency - there might be an inexpensive way for you to find a sitter for the extra couple of hours who can pick your kid up and bring her home until you get home.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby twiqz » 2/20/2011, 6:56 pm

myownsatellite wrote:I would put an ad in the paper or see if you can go through an agency - there might be an inexpensive way for you to find a sitter for the extra couple of hours who can pick your kid up and bring her home until you get home.

I never really thought of an agency but that is a good idea, you figure though $30 a day is good, but a great price for an agency would prob be $10 a day. 40x5 = 200 a week @ 800/month. At that right maybe a stay at home mom isn't a bad idea....

Baby sitter that I don't know im kinda worried about...ever see that movie "the hand that rocks the cradle?" :no:

twiqz

Postby Kicker774 » 2/20/2011, 7:08 pm

13 year old future niece in-law ftw
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby myownsatellite » 2/20/2011, 7:55 pm

Never seen it, but agencies credential their people, and you could always put in a nanny-cam. You also get to interview people before hiring them.

Do you go to church? Do you have any friends with teenagers who would be willing to do you a solid? When I was a teenager I got a lot of babysitting jobs through my mom's friends and through my church. I did an entire summer with one of my Sunday school kids because she loved me so much.

If you or your wife are only making $800/month, yeah it's worth it for her to quit her job and stay home. But if she's making more, it's worth it for her to continue working and you'll just lose some of that salary for daycare. I get that you had this planned out, but if you figure $10/hour for a nanny by your calculations that's only $200 more than you were going to pay before. Kids are expensive...hopefully it works out for you.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby kyks17 » 2/21/2011, 12:47 am

I feel like she should have to make significantly more than the cost of childcare to make it worth it for their child to be raised by strangers. Think about it - both parents are gone all day until 7 or 8pm at night. That's the kid's entire day, wouldn't you want at least 1 parent to have a major role in raising them?

Yeah Hub!!

I <3 my Joshy! Josh #1!!
kyks17

Postby xjsb125 » 2/21/2011, 7:00 am

Heather is a stay at home mom now. She's enjoying it so far. However, when we were both working, we at least had her mom or sister close by to watch Owen when we couldn't.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Carson79 » 2/21/2011, 10:44 am

Its a problem that plagues every family - whether to stay home or continue working. The guilt and financial pressure is the worse - but in the end just be confident that you did what is best for your family. Fortunately, I have a full year maternity leave paid and only work until 4 everyday. My decision was easier because of this. Once the baby is past two here it is also cheaper. I feel for you, it's always a harder decision once the baby is here and everyone feels differently.
Rock is dead, and paper killed it.
Carson79

Postby Kicker774 » 2/21/2011, 12:16 pm

Kicker774 wrote:13 year old future niece in-law ftw

Glad this wasn't a pagebaby response :!
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby twiqz » 2/25/2011, 5:41 pm

Thing have changed!!!! There is a local daycare thats moving to a new location nearby our home, and with their move they are extending their hours until 8. My wife doesnt have to quit her job anymore!!! :dance: :nana:

twiqz

Postby Kicker774 » 2/27/2011, 8:59 pm

twiqz wrote:Thing have changed!!!! There is a local daycare thats moving to a new location nearby our home, and with their move they are extending their hours until 8. My wife doesnt have to quit her job anymore!!! :dance: :nana:

Time to buy a lotto ticket :D
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Shanae » 3/8/2011, 9:23 pm

I don't have much to contribute to this conversation, but I honestly read this page of discussion.

I guess I grew up lucky. When I was younger, I vaguely remember being at the office with my mom and playing with the different coloured highlighters, and being at my babysitter Tanny's, but that's it. My dad never let my mom train for a career or anything (she wanted to be a hairdresser) so prior to our birth, she was the secretary at his oilfield business.

When us kids came along, she quit that and became a full-time stay-at-home mom. I've always come home to fresh-baked goodies and someone to ask me about my day. When Mom was busy with my brother or sister, my dad (who also farms) could get off work.

The combination of my mom's housemaking occupation and my father's entrepreneurship has never even made me think about this.

/irrelevant rambles
Shanae

Postby its4am_isanybodyhome » 3/10/2011, 3:10 am

omg the cm!! (i can't believe i remembered my password. even though it took about 7 tries.) in other news, i am currently looking for a job. pretty much anything, even though i am terrified of working with customers.
-Jillian
member of the pokémon league
i wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along
when you are with me i'm free
that hazy moon will be ash in the wind real soon
its4am_isanybodyhome

Postby Kicker774 » 3/10/2011, 8:56 pm

its4am_isanybodyhome wrote:omg the cm!! (i can't believe i remembered my password. even though it took about 7 tries.) in other news, i am currently looking for a job. pretty much anything, even though i am terrified of working with customers.

Welcome back!!

Are you good at using Google and answering drunken texts?
Become a guide on ChaCha.com

You get paid $0.10 - $0.15 cents for every question you answer.
Not much but it helps pay the bills if you work at it. And if your not working then you have all the time in the world to work at it.

Be sure to enter my e-mail addy in the referral box: lump_16@hotmail.com
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby saman » 3/11/2011, 9:22 pm

hi jill! nice to see you around these parts again!

so i'm on the last leg of my dietetic internship. started my acute care clinical placement at the hospital last week. it's been intense! i'm also drowning in paperwork i can't seem to catch up on, but oh well! :nam:
saman

PreviousNext