ClumsyMonkey.net

The One Paragraph Album Review thread.

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

The One Paragraph Album Review thread.

Postby Joe Cooler » 10/3/2009, 11:55 am

Writing an album review can be hard work. :( Goodness knows I've given up on writing quite a few reviews over the years. Even if I do manage to finish there is no guarantee that anyone wants to wade through your lengthy exposition on why "Animal Collective" is changing music. Let's be honest, what people really want to know is whether it is good or not. And that's it. Keeping that In mind, this threads intended purpose is for aspiring writers to publish ONE PARAGRAPH album reviews. One paragraph as in 75-150 words. No more than that and less is fine. This way, we as a group can fire off quick reviews without having to spend a significant amount of time writing it. As a bonus people will actually read them. So here goes:

Brand New - Daisy (September 22, 2009)

"Daisy" is in every way, the logical progression of Brand New's 2006 record, "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me." The quite-loud dynamics return in full force, as do the existential wonderings of a man uncertain of where he'll end up; heaven, hell or neither. Before the record's release, Jesse Lacey noted that they didn't really care what people would think of it, and it shows. The band trades hooks in for music that communicates a message, making "Daisy" their most difficult record to date. It's loud, angry, and messy but it sure is honest. (4/5)
Joe Cooler

Postby m2 » 10/3/2009, 12:59 pm

DUDE! I HAD THIS IDEA FOR A THREAD LAST NIGHT!
m2

Postby Joe Cooler » 10/3/2009, 1:32 pm

AFI - Crash Love (September 29, 2009)

A quick note to fans of the AFI of yesteryear. Get over yourself. The band haven't been playing hardcore punk for ten years now. To those who have fully embraced AFI's major label efforts, "Crash Love" is for you. While "Decemberunderground" was seen as slight misstep by many, "Crash Love" is very much a return to form. In short, the album is a distillation of everything the band has become. Maintaining the concise song structures, and gothic rock elements of "Decemberunderground" while doing away with its electropop elements, "Crash Love" is much more of a classic rock album than anything the band has done previously. While "Crash Love" doesn't quite carry the emotional weight of their major label debut "Sing the Sorrow," it certainly comes close. (4.5/5)
Joe Cooler

Postby MindsOnLoan » 10/3/2009, 2:42 pm

Breaking Benjamin- Dear Agony (September 29, 2009)

In Breaking Benjamin’s fourth offering, not much advancement is found. While sticking in somewhat familiar territory can work from time to time, it comes off as lazy and boring on this record. The quartet has also fallen in the power ballad trap, causing an even less interesting listen. One of these power ballad-ish songs does work however, making “What Lies Beneath” a nice change of pace. “Fade Away” does show signs of advancement, and does a great job, but the record doesn’t follow in it’s footsteps. “Lights Out” is another interesting listen due to Burnley’s vocals and the overall atmosphere. “Hopeless” and “Crawl” are songs that resemble their older work, yet still work. Outside of these listed songs, the rest are to blame for the band’s weakest offering yet. (2.5/5)
MindsOnLoan

Postby Matt. » 6/22/2010, 9:53 pm

Sarah Harmer - Oh Little Fire (June 22, 2010)

Armed with her heartfelt and folksy brand of "my porch to the main stage" pop, Sarah Harmer returns with her most upbeat record to date, "Oh Little Fire." A throwback to her days in the now defunct rock and roll band, Weeping Tile, much of "Oh Little Fire" demands to be belted to the rafters - and rightly so. Gone are the earthy guitar licks synonymous with previous records and in their place, kicking drums, honest melodies, and the trappings of a veteran songstress with a keen eye for pop fundamentals. At just over half an hour, "Oh Little Fire" is a far cry from a slow burn. However, that's not to say Sarah's changed. Amidst the ruckus, you'll swear you can still hear the crickets. (4.5/5)
Matt.

Postby faninor » 6/22/2010, 11:34 pm

Quite-loud?
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Matt. » 6/23/2010, 9:17 am

I think Taylor meant quiet-loud, but I may be wrong.
Matt.

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/27/2010, 6:49 pm

Right.
Joe Cooler