ClumsyMonkey.net

Ottawa March 22nd and 23rd

Thousands can't figure out just what they did, just what they, just what they did...

Ottawa March 22nd and 23rd

Postby Beason52 » 3/22/2010, 6:13 pm

Not sure if anyone here is going to the Ottawa shows, especially with no thread for the shows, but if anyone did...could they let me know if the crowd was good tonight. I've been to a bunch of OLP shows in Ottawa and the crowd is usually weak, and I really only want to see them tomorrow if there is a loud crowd.

It gets pretty embarrassing when Raine yells at the crowd 20 times to get up, or stops playing to tell the crowd to sing louder during Superman's Dead and Clumsy etc.
Beason52

Postby faninor » 3/22/2010, 8:36 pm

Well if everyone in Ottawa has that attitude, no wonder the crowd is usually weak!

Just kidding -- if you want to see OLP in peak form, playing all of Spiritual Machines and a second set with a bunch of the hits and some other tracks from their latest album, then go for it because this is not something they do every time they tour.

Raine stops and tells the crowd to sing louder during Superman's Dead because he likes to -- doesn't make a difference if the crowd is good or bad.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby ur_a_star_i_can_see » 3/22/2010, 9:54 pm

I went to the show tonight and it was good except the first hour wasn't a whole lot of participation from the crowd about it. Raine actually said after coming out for the second set that it felt rather awkward lol

I enjoyed it though. Honestly, tomorrow night should be better because it is Spiritual Machiens :D I'm going to be there, only instead of balcony seat, it'll be second row seat since I got VIP for that night, yay.

I will say that I really enjoyed watching that poem at the beginning, very cool.
~Life is waiting for you, its all messed up but we'll survive~
ur_a_star_i_can_see

Review

Postby palm0014 » 3/23/2010, 6:49 am

Here's my lengthy review of the show! See you on Night 2!!!

We had some decent seats…Row B in the Orchestra, hugging the right wall. This cut off some view of the stage for me, but not enough to matter. However, we were super close to the PA stacks and I believe the bass line from Duncan may have given me a new hairstyle!

The show started off with a classic Clumsy video (which opened up all their Clumsy arena shows) with the old man reciting some poetry. The band came out and ripped into Superman’s Dead and it was all good.

However, I must admit that something was off. At first I thought it was the crowd…Ottawa crowds tend to disappoint me and disappoint me they did. No one stood up in their seats. This is an interesting quandary that people deal with when in a ‘theater’ setting. Do I stand up? Do I rock out? Or am I supposed to sit here and enjoy the music?

So we sat there and enjoyed the music. But it was just weird. No cheering during the songs, no singing along to 4AM, which arguably hasn’t been sung by Raine Maida in years considering it’s usually THE sing-along song for the audience.

I then started to notice the band…and I noticed that Raine definitely was having trouble with his voice. Some of the high notes weren’t coming through and at one point he was on the megaphone and we stood there wondering where the heck the vocals were. I have no idea if it was user interruption or if we were in a dead spot due to the PA (as my buddy Mike theorized).

The stage lighting was also quite minimal and I thought that perhaps this is what the band is going for in this ‘Evening with OLP’. Perhaps they want to have people sit down.

The climax of the set, Car Crash, didn’t pay off in the end as the wails from Raine just didn’t happen. Everyone remained sitting down for the entire show. It was brutal. It was like the band were playing for a bunch of record executives who are deeming if their material is worthy or not.

We left the theater, picked up some excellent posters and a t-shirt and headed to the car where I laid my feelings out to my friends. I thought the show was brutal. The audience was horrible…it was just an awkward event. They agreed that something was definitely off. My girlfriend thought that perhaps this was the ‘more intimate’ vibe they were going for.

We walked back into the theater hoping for the best. At the very least, I thought that not knowing what song would come up next would be the clincher that would win over the crowd. It is definitely not surprising to know exactly what song is coming up next.

When we got back into the theater, I heard the two guys behind me chatting about the same feelings I had. We chatted about it and one of the guys, Josh was upset that no one was standing up and giving it their all for the band. He decided to take matters into his own hands and got up and cheered for everyone to stand up. He had a great time attracting attention and I felt this would change things. Even before the band showed up again after intermission you could start to feel the electricity in the air. This was a crowd that felt like they had let down their band in the first set and they were going to give it their all in the second set.

The second set starts and everyone is on their feet before the band hits the stage. Josh is running around getting everyone to stand up and cheer. It was a great, redeeming moment in the night…we weren’t alone in feeling that the first set felt out of place. The band came out in full force and opened with Monkeybrains and the power from the crowd and the power from the band was equal and all was good in the world. The smoke show and light show had started up and this was a full on rock show!

I personally felt amazed at how the crowd had taken a 180 degree turn and came back to be one of the best crowds I have ever witnessed. The band were really into it (as they should be!) and they were loving the vibe. The theatrics of Raine Maida came out in his songs, while Jeremy, Duncan and Steve took the charge in giving it their all musically.

At one point, Raine talks about how the first set felt with everyone sitting down while they played…he paused to figure out how to describe the emotion and someone yelled out ‘awkward’ and he agreed wholeheartedly. It was quite the moment for the crowd and the band to be on the same level, and then realize that they have to work together to bring this show to what it *should* be. Raine also put a shout out to Josh who was leading the charge. I enjoyed how he told him to ‘control himself’ but said he was just joking. But then during Naveed he was singing some song with the lyrics ‘control yourself’ and I thought that was a neat link.

The rest of the show was stellar. They had everything a fan would want…some greatest hits, some obscure tracks, some tracks from Spiritual Machines (from tomorrow’s set)…it had everything I wanted to hear.

Some of the highlights (other than hearing the Clumsy album…that was neat, but considering the crowd wasn’t into it, I don’t have good memories about the time other than the fact of seeing some songs that I’ve never seen live was pretty cool) included:
One Man Army – One of my fave live tracks as Raine goes spastic with his military walks and whatnot.
Naveed – What a booming bass line to get everyone going. That song can play for hours and I would still love it.
All you Did Was Save My Life – Near the end of the song, Raine down the aisle and appeared up in the balcony seats to get everyone standing up! I had a good laugh when he noticed some kid still sat down and he said “What the hell man? What are you…fifteen? Are you lazy or something?” He sang the rest of the song up in the balcony and it was amazing.
If You Believe – An AMAZING take on a great Spiritual Machines track. I have never seen this live and it was really great.

At one point, Jeremy threw out a drum stick and it ended up between two seats and no one saw it. My buddy pointed it out to Josh’s friend who nabbed it and handed it to Josh at one point. I thought this was sweet justice for the guy who led the charge for the night.

All in all, I was very impressed with the night. It started out awkward and had me thinking evil thoughts about Ottawa crowds, but the redemption of the night put some faith in me. Music is the common element between all of us in the crowd and we should embrace that. Embrace it we did.
palm0014

Postby RileyLewis » 3/23/2010, 8:22 am

I know for sure now that I must stand for the first set, and the get the crowd to do the same!
RileyLewis

Postby faninor » 3/23/2010, 8:25 am

Nice review! Too bad something seemed off with the vocals -- I think Raine's been singing better than he has in years at the other shows so far.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Beason52 » 3/23/2010, 1:36 pm

The first part of your set was my concern. I last saw OLP and everyone in my section was sitting down. It was awful.

Awesome that everything changed during the second set. I don't think a crowd should ever sit down during a rock concert. Must have been akward for the band as well.

The reason why I asked the original question is because I have to work tonight, and I would have tried to get off if it was a really great show. If not, I could just see them somewhere else, which shouldn't be a problem.
Beason52

Postby xjsb125 » 3/23/2010, 1:48 pm

I think the crowd being quiet for the first set is common. It was for the 4 shows I saw. Especially the second night in London, when the venue wasn't even full. I think it makes the second set that much more intense, and brings out something special from the band.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Tattooed Angels » 3/23/2010, 5:23 pm

I think it is just the atmosphere of Clumsy. It has a somber type feel to it so the crowd( where I sat) was more subdue. Everyone got up during second set. The SM night was a whole different thing. . People were up during that set.

You also have to remember unlike GA shows people sat down mostly.. I think because the cd part also brought out older fans who maybe have not seen OLP since those cd's came out. They are older now. While I still rock out to shows in my old age, the average 40 something year old really doesn't.. Not that people were that old in the audience but it was not the kids( teens and college kids of yesteryear)

I am not really surprise about Raine's vocals though. I had a feeling he would somehow sound off as these few weeks progressed. I am not making excuses for him but for him to sing 2 hours a night plus the few accoustic sets him and Steve have been doing without a break has to be taxing on his vocals. I think after Buffalo he will look forward to the month off to rest up..That being said I still think teh band have done a great job.

Could it be better. Maybe yes, maybe no. I just enjoy the fact that for most parts fans have given postive reviews.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby DG » 3/23/2010, 5:48 pm

Tattooed Angels wrote:You also have to remember unlike GA shows people sat down mostly.. I think because the cd part also brought out older fans who maybe have not seen OLP since those cd's came out. They are older now. While I still rock out to shows in my old age, the average 40 something year old really doesn't.. Not that people were that old in the audience but it was not the kids( teens and college kids of yesteryear)

That's kind of BS. Every concert I've been too their has been a wide variety of ages and no matter their age they were into the show, standing up, showing the band that they wanted to hear them. Only excuse to not show support would be if you weren't a fan and was dragged to the concert.
DG

Postby Tattooed Angels » 3/23/2010, 6:07 pm

DG wrote:
Tattooed Angels wrote:You also have to remember unlike GA shows people sat down mostly.. I think because the cd part also brought out older fans who maybe have not seen OLP since those cd's came out. They are older now. While I still rock out to shows in my old age, the average 40 something year old really doesn't.. Not that people were that old in the audience but it was not the kids( teens and college kids of yesteryear)

That's kind of BS. Every concert I've been too their has been a wide variety of ages and no matter their age they were into the show, standing up, showing the band that they wanted to hear them. Only excuse to not show support would be if you weren't a fan and was dragged to the concert.

It is not BS. Where I was for Clumsy most people sat down. You can not say they weren't fans cause they chose to sit and they were older..Just cause you did not experience it does not mean it is not real.

I have been to more shows then you can count.. Been all kind of audience for shows. Seen all kind of acts. I was just makine an observation..

and PALM0014 the opening is the old video from the CLumsy tour OLP used. It is SOL( who graced the first 4 OLP covers) reciting the Our Lady Peace poem ..

Our Lady Peace -Mark Van Doreen

How far is it to peace, the piper sighed,
The solitary, sweating as he paused.
Asphalt the noon; the ravens, terrified,
Fled carrion thunder that percussion caused.

The envelope of earth was powder loud;
The taut wings shivered, driven at the sun.
The piper put his pipe away and bowed.
Not here, he said. I hunt the love-cool one,

The dancer with the clipped hair. Where is she?
We shook our heads, parting for him to pass.
Our lady was of no such trim degree,
And none of us had seen her face, alas.

She was the very ridges that we must scale,
Securing the rough top. And how she smiled
Was how our strength would issue. Not to fail
Was having her, gigantic, undefiled,

For homely goddess, big as the world that burned,
Grandmother and taskmistress, frild and town.
We let the stranger go; but when we turned
Our lady lived, fierce in each other's frown.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/23/2010, 6:22 pm

Tattooed Angels wrote:Our Lady Peace -Mark Van Doreen

How far is it to peace, the piper sighed,
The solitary, sweating as he paused.
Asphalt the noon; the ravens, terrified,
Fled carrion thunder that percussion caused.

The envelope of earth was powder loud;
The taut wings shivered, driven at the sun.
The piper put his pipe away and bowed.
Not here, he said. I hunt the love-cool one,

The dancer with the clipped hair. Where is she?
We shook our heads, parting for him to pass.
Our lady was of no such trim degree,
And none of us had seen her face, alas.

She was the very ridges that we must scale,
Securing the rough top. And how she smiled
Was how our strength would issue. Not to fail
Was having her, gigantic, undefiled,

For homely goddess, big as the world that burned,
Grandmother and taskmistress, frild and town.
We let the stranger go; but when we turned
Our lady lived, fierce in each other's frown.

*ahem*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX07IF8Ikk
MindsOnLoan

Postby Carson79 » 3/23/2010, 7:43 pm

f
DG wrote:

DG, the deal is - in Winnipeg we can sit nicely during the poem but we will stand for the first set! We may be the only ones in BC Theatre but damn it - I will go home tired! (I'm a old audience member, lol, but I AM not in my 40s, haha)
Carson79

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/23/2010, 8:01 pm

There was only one person refusing to stand at the Cleveland show... Some 40-or-50-something up on the balcony. It was time for Starseed, where Raine demands everyone up on their feet (most of the crowd already was, since GA is a standing floor). Everyone in the balcony was up except one guy, to which Raine said they don't play until everyone's up, as he pointed at the guy. The guy was like "He's sitting" and pointed at Trustworthy, to which Raine said "He's filming. You're sitting. Did you come here for church or something?" Finally the guy stood up.
MindsOnLoan

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/23/2010, 8:46 pm

Steve's Twitter from last night:

"Ottawa we were feeling the wear & tear of touring tonight and you made it one of the best shows of the tour yet. Truly a 2-way experience."
MindsOnLoan

Postby DG » 3/24/2010, 12:21 am

Tattooed Angels wrote:
DG wrote:

It is not BS. Where I was for Clumsy most people sat down. You can not say they weren't fans cause they chose to sit and they were older..Just cause you did not experience it does not mean it is not real.

I have been to more shows then you can count.. Been all kind of audience for shows. Seen all kind of acts. I was just makine an observation..
.[/color]

I was more so referring to the whole age thing.
DG

Postby Beason52 » 3/24/2010, 1:02 pm

So how was the second show?
Beason52

Postby Trustworthy » 3/24/2010, 1:15 pm

awesome
Trustworthy

Postby palm0014 » 3/30/2010, 7:20 am

Night 2 of 2 for OLP in Ottawa. I picked up Mike and we headed to the theater with high hopes as we were sitting in the direct middle of the theater this time around which would make for a better viewing/listening experience compared to hugging the right wall from the night before.

Spiritual Machines is a killer album and it turned out to be a better album than Clumsy; in terms of a live setting. It was full out rock and was quite amazing to see live.

The crowd was into it from the get-go and half the theater was standing for the first set.

The stage was pretty sparse for the first set but the energy coming from the stage made up for it. The band was in top shape and Mike and I were loving our center-stage viewing positions.

The most amazing part was the guitar work by Steve Mazur. He was all over the place. At one point I thought he was part guitar player, part tap dancer as he navigated his effects board. I loved how The Wonderful Future was described as ’something that was never meant to be played live’ and he nailed it! All in all, Spiritual Machines was great.

We met a couple next to us who was interested in what happened the night before and we chatted with them during intermission. They were quite nice and Mike and I decreed them as our ‘rock neighbours’…good people there for a good time, with a lot of knowledge about the band. We told them what we had experienced in the second set the night before and expressed our hopes that it wouldn’t be the same set.

Unfortunately for us, it was the same exact set, except that the three Spiritual Machines tracks from the night before were substituted for Clumsy tracks. Also, Naveed was dropped but Starseed was played. That was a welcome closing song.

However, I can’t complain at all for seeing an awesome band do what they do best, even if I did see them the night before. The Clumsy songs came off amazing compared to the night before…the classic sing-along to Superman’s Dead and 4AM occurred whereas they were non-existent the night before.

4AM was a big highlight as Raine decided to throw the house lights on and stand out in the middle of the theater amongst the fans… It was quite a cool moment although I enjoyed his run up to the upper balcony the night before more.

All in all, Night 2 killed Night 1 for the overall experience…Spiritual Machines is definitely the better album to listen to live and the crowd was into the entire night. However, I can’t forget that there was the amazing feeling of being in the trenches for the first set of Clumsy and then the triumphant return to grace for the second set. That was a powerful moment.

An Evening with Our Lady Peace turned out to be a great couple of nights and I’m glad that we still have the opportunity to see a favourite band in a setting like this.
palm0014

Postby Tattooed Angels » 3/30/2010, 5:16 pm

palm0014.. When we saw them in North Tonawanda Duncan told us Raine's vocals gave out. SOmething about the Asthma meds he was one and they really debated about not coming back on but did. He said they had to look all over to find a doctor for him to change the meds.

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels