ClumsyMonkey.net

Nick Hornby - Juliet..

Chat area.
Did you want to escape, try to escape the population?

Nick Hornby - Juliet..

Postby PeaceEleven » 2/3/2010, 8:57 pm

I censored the other part of the title.
I was wondering if any of you read that book?
Very interesting to see that guy being obsessed with this band and the way he is connected to the online community always trying to get news from the late band (the singer quit) and the fact that he listens to all the bootlegs from the shows all the time......this character reminded me of a lot of us....

I have read all the Nick Hornby's book,
High fidelity being my favorite but I enjoyed this one so much..
PeaceEleven

Postby saman » 2/3/2010, 9:34 pm

you censored the word "naked"? lol why? i had to google it up to see which book you were talking about.

obviously i have not read it. nor the author's other novels. it sounds very interesting though
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby starseed_10 » 2/5/2010, 3:58 am

I can vouch for High Fidelity. Very good book. I'd like to read this one at some point but who has time for joy reading these days? Not me, that's who. :(
blah
starseed_10
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Carson79 » 2/5/2010, 8:13 am

I never read it, but I think I might check it out.

This is fiction right?? Because I don't know anyone who would do those kind of things in real life. :lol:

I also don't think the word Naked needs to be censored, that's a pretty tame word these days - it has actually been a pretty tame word for centuries now I think. :lol:
Carson79

Postby PeaceEleven » 2/10/2010, 3:56 pm

yes it is fiction. It does though seems so real when you read it. I mean it is pretty easy to identify to some part of it. The book is funny at some point and deep at others, it is a bit like his others (high fidelity, about a boy..etc..). What I really liked about it is the relationship beetween the caracthers and the way hornby developped them. The music obsessed caracther is quite something and really makes you reflect on how far can some people go.
Anyway, it is a good read and so far well recieved by readers and critics. It does name some great (real) bands in the book as well as some films just like hornby always does.
PeaceEleven

Postby Shanae » 4/14/2010, 9:27 pm

This is so weird. I just read the book, and I loved it. I had also read About A Boy and loved that, too.

The book definitely made me think of the CM, what with the bootlegs and the scrutinizing the music, although I don't think anybody calls themselves "OLPologists" or anything of the sort. I loved this book very much.
Shanae

Postby Kit » 7/2/2010, 10:48 pm

Call me lazy but I bought the audiobook for A Long Way Down. Really enjoyed all 3 and a half hours of it. Seen High Fidelity the movie, hadn't heard of Juliet Naked until I came across this thread.
Kit

Postby PeaceEleven » 7/3/2010, 7:44 am

Shanae wrote:This is so weird. I just read the book, and I loved it. I had also read About A Boy and loved that, too.

The book definitely made me think of the CM, what with the bootlegs and the scrutinizing the music, although I don't think anybody calls themselves "OLPologists" or anything of the sort. I loved this book very much.

I am really glad you liked he book as well :)
PeaceEleven

Postby Waiting to Exist » 7/3/2010, 10:27 am

For what it's worth, Nick Hornby did the lyrics for Ben Folds's new CD, Lonely Avenue. Just if you guys like him (I've never read his stuff), I figured you might be interested.
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist