ClumsyMonkey.net

Computer Questions

Chat area.
Did you want to escape, try to escape the population?

Postby xjsb125 » 4/19/2009, 10:07 am

AnnieDreams wrote:No, it doesn't make any noise when it freezes, unless I was running a sound file.
The screen just goes black (or sometimes it doesn't) and refuses to respond to anything I do, unless I turn it on.
And it always happens the first time I turn it on after it being off for a while.

Luckily, most of my files are still backed up from my troubles last week.

You're sure it isn't an issue with your monitor or graphics?
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby AnnieDreams » 4/19/2009, 12:37 pm

I'm not sure of anything.
It would seem to be more than my moniter/graphics though, because the sound freezes too (if I'm listening to something it'll get stuck, if I try to pause or play or whatever it doesn't respond), and it doesn't go into standby if I close it, or respond to anything else I've tried besides hitting the power button.
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby Kicker774 » 4/19/2009, 1:28 pm

AnnieDreams wrote:Do you think that's a problem that could be linked to my operating system (I'm using the new Windows beta), or should I be looking for another cause?

Is this Windows 7 you upgraded to?
Why?

(Not saying that in an 'Zomg why in the heck would you do that windoze 7 sucks azz' scoffing sort of way. More in the 'I'm curious why?' way)

Are all of your drivers compatible? Do you know how to check for conflicts in Device Mgr?

Are there by any chance green lines at the bottom of your screen when it freezes?
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby AnnieDreams » 4/19/2009, 1:39 pm

I updated because I needed to replace my operating system (Microsoft locked me out when they recognized my XP was pirated), and the guy helping me out had the windows 7 beta, which (according to him) has more compatible drivers for my Vista-taylored computer than XP did anyway.
As far as I know, all the drivers are compatible with the Vista-stuff my computer came with.

No lines. It doesn't even go black all of the time. I've noticed that it seems that shortly after turning it on the screen just freezes, but if it's been on for a while it will go black.
AnnieDreams

Postby Kicker774 » 4/19/2009, 1:57 pm

Is this a desktop or laptop?

If it's a brand name Desktop or Laptop do you have your mfg recovery discs?

Otherwise if it's a custom built desktop I don't have any solutions for you without being able to take a hands on look at it.

If your data is backed up it may be quicker to re-install Windows either with 7 again or going out and picking up XP or Vista
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby AnnieDreams » 4/19/2009, 5:27 pm

It's a brand-name laptop, but I'm not sure what an mfg recovery disc is. Which I'd guess means I don't have it.
AnnieDreams

Postby Kicker774 » 4/19/2009, 5:38 pm

Call the mfg and see how much it costs to get replacements.
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby AnnieDreams » 4/19/2009, 5:55 pm

...what's an mfg?
AnnieDreams

Postby saman » 4/19/2009, 7:51 pm

manufacturer.

honestly, andrea, it sounds more like a hardware problem than a software one. possibly the motherboard. how long have you had the laptop? and has this only been happening since you got windows 7?

if you want to try the recovery cd route, you can, but it might be worth your time and money just to take it to computer repair shop and get them to at least diagnose the problem for you.

as for what recovery cds are, they're just windows dvds that you would use for reinstalling windows on your computer. did the guy who put windows 7 on your computer give you the cds with the operating system on them? if not, you may have to make them yourself
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Kicker774 » 4/20/2009, 6:58 am

More than likely if a different operating system has been installed the recovery partition (If there was one to beign with) is gone so you wouldn't be able to access the program to burn a recovery DVD.

Also more than likely it's a umpteen GB file so it's nothing you could easily download.
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby AnnieDreams » 4/20/2009, 4:11 pm

Oh, I still have my Winows 7 disc. I can reinstall that if necessary.
And it's only been happening since then, but it was largely unusable for other reasons until my recent windows install, so it's uncertain if there's actually a correlation there.

The things is, I just had it with a tech guy! He's the one who created the whole locked-out-of-windows fiasco to begin with!
The laptop is just a few months past a year old (and hence just a few months past warranty). The fan got clogged up last month, and when I took it to get fixed my Windows got deactivated, and now that I fixed that it keeps freezing. When will my computer woes be done?
AnnieDreams

Postby saman » 4/20/2009, 4:29 pm

lol nice. well, it's not really the tech's fault that your version of windows was pirated, though i don't know why he would've even turned it on if it was only a dusting. maybe he did so to check if it was working better.

anywho, my recommendation of taking to a tech still stands, since this is a different problem than before. you can reinstall windows 7 on it again if you like, but i'm not convinced that it'll achieve anything
saman

Postby AnnieDreams » 4/20/2009, 5:51 pm

I can get turning it on, but why connect to microsoft? He knew it belonged to a teenager prone to internet pirating!

I did that disc-check thing someone suggested and I haven't had the problem again yet... Then again that was only 3 hours ago.
I'm gonna try showing some tech-savy friends this time, since it's not during exams so they'll actually have time for me. Hopefully someone will be able to figure it out.
AnnieDreams

Postby saman » 4/20/2009, 6:08 pm

automatic updates, maybe? well, good luck!
saman

Postby Kicker774 » 4/21/2009, 6:57 am

My final answer remains:
Call the manufacturer and purchase the recovery discs.

This will save you time, money and agrivation.
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Johnny » 5/6/2009, 8:30 pm

So, my note book has stopped recognizing my digi cam for some reason and now I am unable to transfer my photos over. Is there anyway I can transfer my photos directly from my flash card straight to my notebook without having to use a USB cable? My flash card looks like it could plug directly in to my notebook, but its too large. :S
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby xjsb125 » 5/6/2009, 9:07 pm

Most laptops don't support compact flash. Walmart sells a cheap USB card reader for 10 bucks or something like that. I'm not sure what retailer is close to you, but they should have a dirty cheap reader that will work for you.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Dr. Hobo » 5/7/2009, 8:16 am

dirty readers FTW!

and yeah matt nailed it.. theyre not expensive.. thats of course assuming the problem is the usb cable and not the ports and such haha
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo

Postby Johnny » 5/7/2009, 8:26 am

Can either of you gentlemen provide me a link as futureshop is failing me right now.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Dr. Hobo » 5/7/2009, 8:35 am

i'll msg you on msn.. although i dont know the prices nowadays for stuff over thurr so your best bet is to ask someone else for that part haha
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo

PreviousNext