ClumsyMonkey.net

Can anyone play the drums??

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Postby Joey » 8/1/2002, 10:00 pm

So Susan how close are you to taking over Jer's spot? :lol: Have you mastered any songs yet?
Joey

Postby faninor » 8/1/2002, 10:14 pm

I'm a drummer without a band. Hell, I don't even have a trap set anymore. :|

One thing that you ought to do is get some practice on just a snare drum, doing rudimentary stuff instead of only trying to play trap set. If you get lessons from a good instructor, they'll have you do that. It's a lot cooler to use good technique while hitting drums.

In a couple weeks I start marching band, though. I'm section leader, which is generally a snare drum player, but I hate snare, and seriously think it could be eliminated from the line with no real loss. I'll either play tenor (quints) or bass drum, but I haven't decided yet. Which should I play?
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Susan » 8/1/2002, 10:27 pm

clumsyfish wrote:So Susan how close are you to taking over Jer's spot? :lol: Have you mastered any songs yet?

I'm not even close :mrgreen:

Play quints! I figured if I was in a marching band I'd play them. They add a nice flavour to it.
Susan
Oskar Winner: 2003

Postby Joey » 8/1/2002, 10:33 pm

^^ Do you have a pic of your drums? :mrgreen:
Joey

Postby Joey » 8/1/2002, 10:40 pm

su7an wrote:Listen closely to drummers do their thing.
Eg. Listen to some OLP, but pay more attention to Jer. Try to hear the different sounds of the drums (snare, toms, kick drum) and the cymbals (crash, splash, rides, hi-hats) and they different rhythms.
This is also a good way to get inspired.

It was funny .. at the bus stop today Life came on when I was listening to my walkman and I remember what you said about really paying more attention to Jer .. I was in my own little world trying to listen as closely as I could .. I looked like such a freak tapping my feet to the beat and stuff .. and then the bus flew past me :lol:
Joey

Postby Susan » 8/1/2002, 11:25 pm

You're on your way already. :mrgreen:
Susan

Postby faninor » 8/2/2002, 12:58 am

No pics of my drums that I know of, sorry. If I come across any I'll try to get them scanned. They were pieces of crap, though.

I'll probably play quints this year, even if it does mean I have to do more work. Maybe I'll be able to get a picture of those.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Previous