ClumsyMonkey.net

I miss cd's

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 8/31/2009, 1:43 pm

MsCarson79 wrote:
ClumsyGirl618 wrote:I only buy CD's of my favorite bands anymore. I also have two copies of Burn Burn. I pre-ordered mine with my ticket to the NYC show so I knew I'd have time to get it the day it was released. I didn't realize it wasn't the deluxe edition so I went out the next day and bought Burn Burn Burn. Oops. Oh well, the autographed the inside of the regular edition for me at the acoustic session so I'm keeping it.

Glad I'm not the only one who bought it twice! I would only do that for OLP though. I will refer all those who laughed at me to this thread...

Yeah, I wouldn't have don't it for any other band either. Especially now that they are without label and the only money that goes to Sony is for the distribution fees. :D
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Molly89 » 4/1/2010, 5:14 pm

My friends all think I'm crazy for still buying Cds. They say you can always just download and save money. But I like my collection!
She builds a strong alibi
From the future that's here
She needs to know I'm alive
But I'm flesh and I tear
Molly89

Postby John Bob the Great » 4/7/2010, 11:01 pm

I'm an avid downloader of hard to find albums but if I see the CD used at a store I'll grab it!

You see I like my mp3's at 320 kbps and not a lot of people on the internet understand that quality!

I've only paid for about a third of my music collection. :yarr:
Sincerely, C.H.
“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
“It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously.” ~ Oscar Wilde
John Bob the Great

Postby faninor » 4/8/2010, 12:46 am

John Bob the Great wrote:I'm an avid downloader of hard to find albums but if I see the CD used at a store I'll grab it!

You see I like my mp3's at 320 kbps and not a lot of people on the internet understand that quality!

I've only paid for about a third of my music collection. :yarr:

320kbps is excessive in my opinion. At that point just go right for the FLAC and keep it lossless for only 2-3 times the storage space of a 320kbps file.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby John Bob the Great » 4/8/2010, 1:10 am

Yeah but I find there is a subtle quality and clarity of 320 that I have grown accustomed to. It's just my current standards and it takes up enough hard drive space as it is. That's why all my music is on an external drive.
Sincerely, C.H.
“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
“It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously.” ~ Oscar Wilde
John Bob the Great

Postby faninor » 4/8/2010, 1:33 am

I honestly can't tell the difference between V0 and 320kbps cbr, and between V2 and V0 is a pretty subtle difference when listening with my Sennheiser HD 595 headphones. Listening on cheap headphones/earbuds or over laptop speakers it's really grasping at straws trying to perceive differences.

Needless to say, my music collection is ripped or downloaded in FLAC wherever possible, and I have batch scripts to convert them to mp3 and add the tags/artwork for portable players.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby John Bob the Great » 4/8/2010, 10:12 am

But I have lousy Itunes and an Ipod to go with it, so FLAC to me is just seems excessive. I do have a couple albums in WAV, such as Spiritual Machines, Naveed, and for some reason, Jed by the Goo Goo Dolls.
Sincerely, C.H.
John Bob the Great

Postby Joe Cooler » 4/8/2010, 10:37 am

You must have a really good pair of ears and some killer headphones because I cannot tell the difference between a 256kps file and 320kps file on a pair of Grado SR60i's (not the Sennheiser HD 595's mind you). Of course, I've accepted that I don't exactly have audiophile ears.
Joe Cooler

Postby MindsOnLoan » 4/8/2010, 2:06 pm

I usually like my music at 192... It doesn't take up as much memory space as 320, and it doesn't have weird background fuzz like 128 can sometimes have when cranked up on the stereo.
MindsOnLoan

Postby xoNoDoubt69 » 4/8/2010, 5:39 pm

i still buy cds! though, like bree, mostly only my favorite bands. if it's a newer band i'm not sure if i'd like the whole cd then i download and buy if i like!
xoNoDoubt69
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby m2 » 6/7/2010, 1:18 pm

m2

Postby faninor » 6/7/2010, 2:48 pm

Isn't the clear problem here a lack of quality music to buy? :lol:

I can see why this industry is doomed when they expect people to pay $10 for 1 good song and 10 filler tracks -- of course that's an outdated business model with current technology, but if you think about it that was a crap business model to begin with.

I'll buy another CD when it contains good music.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby Shanae » 6/7/2010, 6:02 pm

I bought three CDs in the past week.
Shanae

Postby faninor » 6/7/2010, 6:13 pm

I bought less than that in the past year, I believe.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby John Bob the Great » 6/7/2010, 6:15 pm

I buy seven every month! (used as you know, never new!)
Sincerely, C.H.
John Bob the Great

Previous