ClumsyMonkey.net

TV Alert - The Who!

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

TV Alert - The Who!

Postby Kicker774 » 7/13/2008, 7:02 pm

All this week VH1 Classic will be airing special rockumentaries on The Who leading up to Thursday nights Rock Honors show.

Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Flaming Lips, Incubus and Tenacious D will all celebrate The Who with performances. The Who will play as well!

Enjoy!!
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Tattooed Angels » 7/13/2008, 11:11 pm

They filmed it last night in L.A.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Kicker774 » 7/14/2008, 5:21 pm

3 Hours of Maximum R&B tonight (Monday) starting at 9pm (EST) on VH1 Classic.

Six Quick Ones: The Story of The Who

Followed by Classic Albums: Whos Next
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Kicker774 » 7/15/2008, 4:47 pm

Tonight @ 9pm (EST)

It's a little on the weird side so if you've never seen it before it's going to be quite differnent from just the straight album version.

But it can give you a little more visibility to the story of Tommy.

I'd give the album 5 stars in a heartbeat.
The movie however more of a 3.5 - 4.0. Let's call it 3.75

I'd much rather watch Quadrophenia.
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Kicker774 » 7/16/2008, 4:16 pm

Tonights feature:
BBC Electric Proms - The Who

Johnnie Walker introduces The Who to a crowd that can barely believe they're about to witness one of the best live bands of the last forty years in the beautiful and intimate surroundings of The Roundhouse. The band proceed to rattle off hit after hit as well as performing the world premiere of their brand new mini opera 'Wire & Glass'.

"Baba O'Riley" and an extended version of "My Generation" really get the crowd in the party mood while Zac Starkey, Ringo Star's son, performs brilliantly on a Keith Moon-esque double drum kit. Daltry spins himself and his mic around on a wonderful "Pinball Wizard" while Pete Townshend proves he can still cut the mustard with some fantastic guitar playing on "My Generation" and "See Me, Feel Me".

By the end it's clear this is more than just a gig, it's a musical extravaganza that provides a fitting finale to the inaugural BBC Electric Proms.

Set List:
Can't Explain
The Seeker
Who Are You

Mini Opera:
Fragments
Sound Round
Pick Up The Peace
Endless Wire
We've Got A Hit
They've Made My Dreams Come True
Mirror Door

Baba O'Riley
My Generation
Man In A Purple Dress
Mike Post Theme
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me, Feel Me
Listening To You
T and Theatre
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Tattooed Angels » 7/17/2008, 2:59 pm

How excited are you for this KICKER?

I really can't tell. :)

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby Kicker774 » 7/17/2008, 6:02 pm

Tattooed Angels wrote:Are you excited for this KICKER?

Yes, Yes I am.

Everyone should know by now the schedule for tonight.

Show starts @ 9 but plenty of Who goodness rocking out as we speak.
My speakers have never seen such abuse. My roomates cats are probably cowering in a corner somewhere. Neighbors might be banging on the wall I don't know I can't hear them.

Heck they're probably telling me to crank it up more.

I'm not just cranking my amp up to 11 tonight.
I'm going to test out the "Uh-Ohh!!" setting

Enjoy the show everyone!! \m/
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Kicker774 » 7/17/2008, 10:51 pm

Wow what a fantastic show!!

Foo Fighters busted the fucking door down with Young Man Blues. The guy from Supergrass(?) had pretty weak vocals for Bargain.

Speaking of weak Incubus was just that. AS was Molly Khumis doing a suck ass job of trying to read off cue cards. Almost as annoying as that Blonde twit that started off the show.

Wayne Coyne made up for things comming out in a giant plastic bubble and the Flaiming Lips put on a great Tommy medley.

Tenacious D did a whimsical version of Squeezebox.

Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam came up next. Eddie has been doing Who covers for years and tonights work was his absolute best.

He performed Love Reign O'er Me and really put everything he had into with screaming "LOOOOOOVVVVVEEE" for as long as he possibly could. It sent shivers down the backbone.

Then he came right back with possibly my favorite Who song: The Real Me. His likeness to Pete was uncanny. So sharp so dead on he was definitley on his A game.

I absolutley love the bass solo in this song It really wasn't quite the same but then again there could never be another John Entwhistle. The man could fill an entire concert hall with a few magical strusm of his fingers.

In a fitting tribute at the end of the set the guitarist thrw his guitair up in the air letting it crash to the ground. Did a nice job at it too. He must had been practing.

Adama Sandler came on next to introduce the band. He perfromed funny but dead on parody of Magic Bus.

Some lines:
They've been rocking so long and so loud,
Pete can't even hear this song.

Entiwslte played so smooth
On the stage he never made a move

Keith Band was the bands lucky charm
Played like he had 8 fucking arms

Rog and Pete came on with the rest of their crew to a corwd that was already standing and cheering the entire show.

They thanked the bands (Pete directly thanked Foo Fighters, Flaiming Lips, and Pearl Jam pretty much snubbing Incubus) then proceeded to bring the house down with Baba O'Reily, Who are You, Behind Blue Eyes, My Generation, and Won't Get Fooled Again.

They ended the evening with somewhat a tribute of their own. I didn't catch every part of the song but it seemed to possibly reference Rog and Petes first meeting. Come have a cup of Tea with me in the theater. Nothing hard at all, just a simple song about each other I'm guessing.

It's been a great week filled with the sounds of the Who. Possibly the best week of TV ever. (Best day being 24 Hours of LeMans but that's awhole nother story)

This will definitley be an addition to my DVD collection when it comes out.

Long Live Rock!!
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774