ClumsyMonkey.net

Muse

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Muse

Postby Johnny » 9/16/2007, 9:36 am

Crab Man told me to check these guys out and I did. Needless to say, I dig their music. So. check these British rockers out! They're great!

www.myspace.com/muse
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby AnnieDreams » 9/16/2007, 6:45 pm

The plug in babies.
scary.
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby Handsome_Devil » 9/16/2007, 7:20 pm

One of my fave contemporary bands, Origin of Symmetry is definitely in my top 5 albums from this decade. You're the big Radiohead fan, right? I can see why you'd like them, they're constantly been ripped here from the typical lazy journalists who love to dismiss them as just a 'second-rate Bends-era Radiohead'.

One thing they do have in common with Radiohead however, is how each passing record turns me slightly more off them. That said, seen them live this summer, and their status as one of the greatest live bands around, was definitely lived up to, they even unexpectedly played my fave song of theirs, 'Bliss', which was indeed, bliss. :D

I noticed that Myspace link you've included only contains songs from their latest album, if you're thinking of checking them out I'd suggest listening to either 'New Born' or 'Plug-In Baby', which were the songs that propelled them in terms of success, and rightfully so.

Also, Cyanide & Happiness > Life.
They said: "There's too much caffeine in your bloodstream, and a lack of real spice in your life"
I said : "Leave me alone, because I'm alright, dad. Surprised to still be on my own..."
Oh, but don't mention love. I'd hate the strain of the pain again.
Handsome_Devil

Postby faninor » 9/17/2007, 2:09 pm

I'm the big Radiohead fan! But yes, I introduced Johnny to Muse and Radiohead if I remember correctly. Honestly I've mostly listened to their newer stuff. Their old stuff is good too, but I've never taken the time to really familiarize myself with it. I'm not sure why their new album would turn you off, it's pretty great.

I saw them live last year, a month after Radiohead. Radiohead was better, but they're still very good. Seeing them again this week.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Handsome_Devil » 9/17/2007, 6:19 pm

Well it all comes down to the experimentation aspect, being a big Radiohead fan, it's probably your bag. But for me Muse were at the greatest on 'Showbiz', at the beginning, so I'm non too favourable of this gradual deviation from that. The epic songs on Absolution, chiefly 'Butterflies and Hurricanes', just turn me off, and I could barely recognize 'Super Massive Black Hole' as a Muse song. Their latest albums still have some great offerings, but they're becoming fewer and fewer, for me at least.

If you include Origin of Symmetry as their old stuff, I'd definitely recommend that as a priority, great great album.

You found Radiohead better? Funny, I've inadvertently ignored them as a live band. Glad you got to see both. I myself have been thinking of seeing Muse again sometime.
They said: "There's too much caffeine in your bloodstream, and a lack of real spice in your life"
I said : "Leave me alone, because I'm alright, dad. Surprised to still be on my own..."
Handsome_Devil

Postby Johnny » 9/17/2007, 8:31 pm

I like the old stuff alot and their epic stuff too. :nod:

All I need now are some live bootlegs! :nod:
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Soozy » 9/18/2007, 12:40 am

Handsome_Devil wrote:You found Radiohead better? Funny, I've inadvertently ignored them as a live band. Glad you got to see both. I myself have been thinking of seeing Muse again sometime.

Radiohead are REALLLLLY good live - make sure you try to get a ticket next time they tour.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby faninor » 9/18/2007, 11:15 am

Soozy wrote:
Handsome_Devil wrote:You found Radiohead better? Funny, I've inadvertently ignored them as a live band. Glad you got to see both. I myself have been thinking of seeing Muse again sometime.

Radiohead are REALLLLLY good live - make sure you try to get a ticket next time they tour.

:nod:

They're just great, and in addition to putting on a good show they also keep their setlists changing constantly. I'm pretty sure that they've never played two shows with the same setlist for the past 8 years, and if they have it was a freak coincidence rather than an "I'm tired, let's play the same set we did last night" sort of thing. I saw them two nights in a row last year, both shows in San Diego, and I saw them play 38 different songs between the two nights. Almost everything that I wanted to hear was played at least one of the nights (except for The Bends, which I would've caught if we had tickets for the shows in LA later that week). Muse changes their setlists up too from what I've seen, but not very much. I will probably hear at the most 3 or 4 songs this Friday that they didn't play when I saw them last summer. :)
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby LifeRiot » 9/18/2007, 4:00 pm

Yeah, Muse is the only band that has unseated Our Lady Peace as my favorite band, and that was a pretty difficult thing to do. Matt Bellamy is one of the most amazing performers I have ever seen. Probably put on the best live show on Earth right now. His guitars are innovations in music alone.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby Johnny » 9/18/2007, 6:14 pm

I want to see Muse and Radiohead.
But they never come anywhere near me. :(
Which got me thinking that I should go to England and attend the Leeds, Readng and Glastonbury festivals. :nod:
Well, attending the festivals has nothing to do with Muse and Radiohead, though it would be nice if they were headling the events when I went. But I just want to go to them since they're kick ass and they're in England and the fact that Edmonton has no music fesitvals whatsoever!@!
But yeah, I wanna see them!
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby faninor » 9/24/2007, 10:36 am

Muse was great on Friday, and my recording of it is killer!

I enjoyed this show much more than seeing them in San Diego last year. The band played great at both, but the venue last year sucked, it was way too hot and a bit too crowded. Kym and I were covered in other people's sweat by the end of that show and I could hardly remember what they played at all. This time we didn't have to get beat up, and they had more lights and stuff.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby Johnny » 6/22/2008, 11:19 am

Crab Man! Do you know where I can get some bootlegs?!
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Handsome_Devil » 6/22/2008, 2:48 pm

I've got a dozen or so from 1999-2002, if you want any uploading ?

Besides that, there's always http://torrents.musebootlegs.com/
Handsome_Devil

Postby Johnny » 6/22/2008, 5:12 pm

Any idea where you can find video boots?
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Handsome_Devil » 6/23/2008, 3:27 am

Yeah, in the link above! :lol:

There's also the muse hub: musehub.no-ip.org:333
Handsome_Devil

Postby ihatethunderbay » 6/23/2008, 10:54 am

Hysteria is fun to play in Rock Band
hating thunder bay since 2003
ihatethunderbay

Postby Johnny » 6/23/2008, 7:22 pm

Handsome_Devil wrote:Yeah, in the link above! :lol:

There's also the muse hub: musehub.no-ip.org:333

I'm trying to download the PinkPop and Glastonbury '04 shows.

the Glastonbury torrent is painfully slow, whilst the Pinkpop one is only slightly beetter. :I
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Random Name » 6/23/2008, 7:50 pm

I've finally gotten into their last album. It took me a long time but now I fucking love it.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby Johnny » 6/26/2008, 1:10 pm

Have you listened to their older stuff?
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Dread » 7/13/2008, 11:16 am

Why would anyone want to listen to Showbiz?
Dread

Next