ClumsyMonkey.net

The Matthew Good Appreciation Thread

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Postby defying_gravity » 7/2/2002, 12:36 pm

Tsk. Alright? Is the man insane?
picturize the nights and days you close the book and float away and somehow in between you gotta master lying to yourself you max your cards get out of school you get a job your job gets you and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
defying_gravity

Postby Axtech » 7/2/2002, 12:37 pm

No. I have BM, and it doesn't do anything for me...
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby the android » 7/2/2002, 12:39 pm

defying_gravity wrote:Tsk. Alright? Is the man insane?

His favourite band is Radiohead.
x - <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/~handshakeofco">livejournal</a>
x - <a href="http://ahree.deviantart.com">deviantart</a>
the android
Oskar Winner: 2004

Postby defying_gravity » 7/2/2002, 12:39 pm

All is forgiven.
picturize the nights and days you close the book and float away and somehow in between you gotta master lying to yourself you max your cards get out of school you get a job your job gets you and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
defying_gravity

Postby the android » 7/2/2002, 12:40 pm

I thought as much XD

Me and him have similar tastes in music, which doesn't explain why he doesn't like MGB... Oh well though XD
x - <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/~handshakeofco">livejournal</a>
x - <a href="http://ahree.deviantart.com">deviantart</a>
the android

Postby defying_gravity » 7/2/2002, 12:40 pm

Very strange...
defying_gravity

Postby Odin » 7/2/2002, 7:16 pm

Axtech wrote:No. I have BM, and it doesn't do anything for me...

How is that possible? That's the best album ever, better than Raine Maida will ever get.
Al's emails put a smile on my face, even though all they say is "You've got a private message!"
Odin

Postby Axtech » 7/2/2002, 7:17 pm

Some would say that Britney Spears is the best "artist" ever. Do you agree?
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech

Postby Odin » 7/2/2002, 7:32 pm

I get your point.

But BM is somewhat like Spiritual Machines, it's the kind of album that grows on you and unlike Gravity that's easily attached and easily, well, detached. Give a a couple more tries, it happened to me too. I bought BM, heard it 3 times, kept it in the drawer because it had no effect on me. Then I went to his concert, and I fell in love with the cd.
Al's emails put a smile on my face, even though all they say is "You've got a private message!"
Odin

Postby I AM ME » 7/3/2002, 12:30 am

Hmmmmm this may sound odd in this thread but which song by matt is your least liked? Mine is The rat that would be king, i understand the creativity and balls it takes to make a song like that but something about his voice in that song erks me
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby defying_gravity » 7/3/2002, 3:50 am

Odin wrote:I get your point.

But BM is somewhat like Spiritual Machines, it's the kind of album that grows on you and unlike Gravity that's easily attached and easily, well, detached. Give a a couple more tries, it happened to me too. I bought BM, heard it 3 times, kept it in the drawer because it had no effect on me. Then I went to his concert, and I fell in love with the cd.

BM is far more immediate than AoB wouldn't you say? It has more straight-forward (well as straight-forward as Matt makes) "rock" songs (i.e. Load Me Up, HTB, Jenni's Song) than any other albums.
defying_gravity

Postby lora » 7/3/2002, 7:43 am

It took me about 4 months to finally understand and appreciate AoB. :freak:
lora

Postby Odin » 7/3/2002, 6:19 pm

defying_gravity wrote:
BM is far more immediate than AoB wouldn't you say? It has more straight-forward (well as straight-forward as Matt makes) "rock" songs (i.e. Load Me Up, HTB, Jenni's Song) than any other albums.

That's true as well, but I don't know axtech well enough to know what music he likes. BM is more immediate than AoB indeed, but BM is also more cryptic than any OLP albums I would say.

Anyway, I least favourite track, probably Native Son, it just annoys the hell outta me.
Odin

Postby defying_gravity » 7/4/2002, 1:54 am

Clumsyboy wrote:Hmmmmm this may sound odd in this thread but which song by matt is your least liked? Mine is The rat that would be king, i understand the creativity and balls it takes to make a song like that but something about his voice in that song erks me

I love that song. It's so eerie. My least favourite would be Every Name Is My Name, because it's crap.
defying_gravity

Postby Endymion » 7/4/2002, 9:29 am

Audio of Being is really the only album I really love. Most of the songs on the other albums don't grab me. I love Apparitions, though.
::livejournal::

<font color="#CCFFCC">spent and sighing with a look in your eye
spent and sighing with a look on your face like

sweet revelation</font>
Endymion

Postby aspiritualjunkie » 7/4/2002, 9:40 am

I'm probably going to be jumped for this but anything before underdogs (besides fearless) is crap.

I really don't like antipop either.

Enough negativity! I love advertising on police cars, everthing is automatic, born to kill, a boy and his machine gun, ..... too many to name.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but has anyone read his book?
Ry Ry :)

,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)
This dog is mighty cool, you're jealous!

The world is not your oyster. Prying it open ruins your chances of putting it back.
aspiritualjunkie

Postby defying_gravity » 7/4/2002, 10:48 am

aspiritualjunkie wrote:I'm probably going to be jumped for this but anything before underdogs (besides fearless) is crap.

Enough negativity! I love advertising on police cars, everthing is automatic, born to kill, a boy and his machine gun, ..... too many to name.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but has anyone read his book?

There are some good songs on LOTGA, but generally it has got better as it went along.
defying_gravity

Postby Odin » 7/4/2002, 8:22 pm

aspiritualjunkie wrote:I'm probably going to be jumped for this but anything before underdogs (besides fearless) is crap.

You've gotta listen to Symbolistic White Walls live, it's just awesome.
Odin

Postby Bananababy » 7/4/2002, 9:04 pm

I really like Matthew Good's music, but after listening to a lot of it, most of the songs sound similar... am I the only one who thinks this?
boo.
Bananababy

Postby defying_gravity » 7/5/2002, 4:42 am

Odin wrote:

You've gotta listen to Symbolistic White Walls live, it's just awesome.

Now that is true. That is fucking amazing (starts to listen to it...).
defying_gravity

PreviousNext