ClumsyMonkey.net

Emily Haines

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Emily Haines

Postby _old_lady_peace » 5/1/2006, 7:19 pm

so yeah, as you probably know she's putting out a solo record soon.

thoughts, opinions, excited? horrified?

discuss.
<b><3</b> Katie! ~ proud member of the anti-milk alliance

<b> "well i'm not sleeping, you're not here"</b><br>

"and the lonliness leads to bad dreams, and the <b>bad dreams lead me to calling you</b>, and i call you and say...<i>come here</i>"
_old_lady_peace

Postby Hope » 5/1/2006, 7:22 pm

i like some of emily's lyrics in metric, and her irony voice, but i don't really like her keyboard-ness, which is probably what this album will feature mostly...

i'm not exactlly excited, but i would for sure check it out.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby _old_lady_peace » 5/1/2006, 7:38 pm

i just remembered this.
it's the 2 track sampler i got like, a year ago when i ordered my DFA79 cd offline.
enjoy

http://download.yousendit.com/A6BBC3134EFDE6E8
"sprig"

http://download.yousendit.com/257B611F03A7AD01
"detective daughter" (this one is on the new album, but i'm sure this is a demo version and she's re-recorded it since i got this sampler.

<3s

"and the lonliness leads to bad dreams, and the <b>bad dreams lead me to calling you</b>, and i call you and say...<i>come here</i>"
_old_lady_peace

Postby Hope » 5/1/2006, 7:54 pm

ooooh thanks!

<3
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby starseed_10 » 5/1/2006, 9:28 pm

i'm quite excited actually. i think Metric went way overboard with the artsy stuff on Live It Out.
If she tones it down a bit for the solo it could be right up my alley.
starseed_10
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby I AM ME » 5/1/2006, 10:50 pm

i found her on myspace by accident a day after she opened up her account. I like it alot
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby nelison » 5/1/2006, 10:56 pm

Emily Haines is awesome. period. Although i admit I'm looking forward to Amy Millan's album a bit more than Emily's.
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby I AM ME » 5/1/2006, 11:01 pm

Both will be sweet i'm sure. It's funny cause I like Amy Millan's solo stuff better then her BSS stuff, i didn't know she was a great singer
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby nelison » 5/1/2006, 11:17 pm

Ya I really wish Amy had a bit more prominent role in BSS's last album, but with Metric taking off, Emily hasn't really done much with BSS lately so I'm sure she'll be more used more in their next album. Or at least she'll move past Emily into second spot for the female singers right behind Feist.

Emily has great stage presence though so the thought of her and just a piano doesn't seem as intriguing as a live show even though it will still sound great
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison

Postby Hope » 5/2/2006, 1:27 am

Emily does have a great stage presence... but she sometimes really annoys the hell out of me. I'm looking forward to Amy Millan's solo cd more than Emily's.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Dread » 5/3/2006, 1:28 am

I AM ME wrote:Both will be sweet i'm sure. It's funny cause I like Amy Millan's solo stuff better then her BSS stuff, i didn't know she was a great singer

Um... hasn't Stars shown that she's great singer already? Just saying.

I downloaded that one Emily song that will be on the album (albeit, as was said, probably in a bit of a different form), and I think it meanders too much. Despite what I said in the Gen. Music News thread, I think I'll be more into Amy's debut. Why the two are battling it out in my brain anyway is beyond me though.
Dread

Postby _old_lady_peace » 5/3/2006, 8:38 pm

ooh i totally didn't know amy was putting out a solo album

muchas excited! w00t!

_old_lady_peace

Postby menomena » 5/4/2006, 10:29 pm

You're probably going to hate me, but I don't like Metric much.

Out of all the Broken Social Scene members, Metric isn't exactly the strongest group represented in the band. I listen to Do Make Say Think and Feist quite regularly, but I always found Metric to be, well, for lack of a better word, jarring.

At work, they played a couple of Feist songs followed by Metric for two months, and one was beautiful, and one was, well, kind of annoying and felt sloppily put together. It felt as if Metric had a song prepared to record, then just said "screw it" and tried to improv their parts.

So I guess I am not too excited for Emily Haines' solo album.

I will go rain on someone else's parade now.

Or go check my thread out and listen to loads of music available to download for free. Thanks. Yes, I am plugging my own thread like a whore. I'm ok with it though.
menomena
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby starseed_10 » 5/26/2006, 11:35 pm

I have a leak of Amy's album if anyone's interested. She went all country on us.
starseed_10

Postby Hope » 5/26/2006, 11:36 pm

how is it?
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby lora » 5/26/2006, 11:38 pm

what a terrible dog
lora

Postby starseed_10 » 5/26/2006, 11:38 pm

It's good, but i got bored with it after a few listens.

It starts off pretty strong but it's super generic alt-country, so it gets tedious.
blah
starseed_10

Postby Hope » 5/26/2006, 11:39 pm

bah. i was afraid that was going to happen. :(
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Dread » 5/27/2006, 2:33 am

I applaud you for even listening to it a few times. I gave it 2/3 of a listen before I realized I didn't want it. The songs with less country twang are cool (and I did hear a couple of them). I wish she would've gone more in that direction.

I don't really think it's generic though (i.e. not Shania or Dixie Chicks-like, which I would consider to be a better personificaton of generic country. More like Johnny Cash or Loretta Lynn or something). It's just not very exciting.
Dread

Postby nelison » 5/27/2006, 6:44 am

Is it along the lines of Sarah Harmer's recent album? Cause that has an alt-folk-country twang to it and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

nelison

Next