ClumsyMonkey.net

Emily Haines

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Postby starseed_10 » 5/27/2006, 6:11 pm

no idea, but it has more than a twang.
i don't mind it or anything, just think she could do a lot better.
blah
starseed_10
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Hope » 5/27/2006, 9:18 pm

i dunno.. i think i still should check it out because i like some folksy stuff.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby I AM ME » 5/27/2006, 11:49 pm

I was looking at the Cd in our back room today, I'll listen to it tommorow and report back
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby _old_lady_peace » 5/29/2006, 5:52 pm

ooh neat!
<b><3</b> Katie! ~ proud member of the anti-milk alliance

<b> "well i'm not sleeping, you're not here"</b><br>

"and the lonliness leads to bad dreams, and the <b>bad dreams lead me to calling you</b>, and i call you and say...<i>come here</i>"
_old_lady_peace

Postby menomena » 5/30/2006, 1:20 pm

Hope wrote:i dunno.. i think i still should check it out because i like some folksy stuff.

There are much better things to check out if you like folksy stuff, like, well, real folk music, for starters. Nick Drake, Phil Ochs, Vashti Bunyan, and Bob Dylan are good starters, and for a more contemporary take on the folk music, go with Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Cyann & Ben, Devendra Banhart, M. Ward (especially M. Ward), or Okkervil River.

I'm just taking a stab in the dark when I say that these people have a better feel for folk music, as it's actually what they're known for and all.

Alan out.
menomena
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby I AM ME » 5/31/2006, 3:59 pm

changed your opinion on Amy Millan's new CD Alan?
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby nelison » 5/31/2006, 4:14 pm

I've enjoyed the album so far. She deserves her own thread but oh well. her album feels a lot like Sarah Harmer's "all of our names" album, where there's one really stand out single and the rest is very laid back. I see it more as background music than music that you would really get into and listen intently and all that.
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby menomena » 6/4/2006, 9:43 am

I AM ME wrote:changed your opinion on Amy Millan's new CD Alan?

No. It didn't do anything for me on initial listens, so I decided to listen to the Unicorns instead. Now that's a band anyone can love.
menomena

Postby I AM ME » 6/29/2006, 12:04 am

I stand by my earlier opinion that Emily's is gonna be better then Amy's. Amy's wasn't that great, it was good but meh.

New emily stuff around too.

http://www.spin.com/features/news/2006/ ... ilyhaines/

You can download another song there. Not as good as Detective Daughter in my opinion but i enjoyed it

I AM ME

Postby Hope » 7/18/2006, 6:49 pm

emily haines and james shaw did a cover of elliott smith's "between the bars" for rolling stone, apparently.

here it is:

Mp3: Metric - Between The Bars (Elliott Smith Cover)

its not outstanding or anything, i thought people would like to hear it.

enjoy
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby I AM ME » 7/20/2006, 2:54 pm

Cool, like you said not outstanding but not bad

I AM ME

Postby I AM ME » 7/31/2006, 1:00 am

acoustic live video of it from Rollingstone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKF12hXJ_Ow

also from the same live performance

Handshakes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDvlrspGpxc

Monster Hospital
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-J9ijdR_KI

Live It Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_tsD3Dyfnc

I don't see how some people don't like her voice

I AM ME

Postby Hope » 7/31/2006, 1:50 am

it gets annoying sometimes
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby I AM ME » 7/31/2006, 2:00 am

Her voice or people?

:lol:

I AM ME

Postby Hope » 7/31/2006, 2:02 am

her in general
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby I AM ME » 7/31/2006, 2:07 am

lol blasphemy!

I AM ME

Postby Dread » 7/31/2006, 1:28 pm

You're indoors, Emily. Take off your damn bug glasses.

I liked hearing Glass Ceiling (NOT Handshakes) acoustic though. I'll have to rip these someday.
Dread

Postby Hope » 7/31/2006, 7:07 pm

Via pitchforkmedia.com:

Emily Haines of Metric Reveals New Song, Dates

Written over four years, in various cities, before and after the death of a parent and during a hectic touring schedule, Knives Don't Have Your Back, the forthcoming solo debut by Metric's Emily Haines, is nothing if not a long time coming.

Though the full-length isn't due out until September 26 on Last Gang Records, fans can temporarily satisfy their appetites with an exclusive stream of the airy, piano-backed "Our Hell" by clicking on the link below.

Before the release of Knives, Haines will play shows in a few select cities, accompanied by a rotating group of musicians dubbed the Soft Skeleton. In Toronto, the Soft Skeleton band will consist of the Tokai String Quartet and a horn section of Jimmy Shaw (Broken Social Scene, Metric), Evan Cranley (Stars, Broken Social Scene), and Chris Seligman (Stars). Elsewhere, Haines will be backed by Sparklehorse drummer Scott Minor and bassist Paul Dillon.

For her stint at the Toronto International Film Festival, Haines will incorporate images by indie filmmaker Guy Maddin in a special multimedia presentation.

We have your back on those show dates:

09-12 Toronto, Ontario - Toronto International Film Festival (Venue TBA)
09-18 Montreal, Quebec - Le National
09-19 New York, NY - Joe's Pub
09-21 Los Angeles, CA - Venue TBA
09-22 San Francisco, CA - Café du Nord

Haines isn't abandoning her main band just yet. Metric have several shows scheduled for August and September, including a few festival appearances.

Dates:
08-25 Leeds, England - Leeds Festival
08-27 Reading, England - Reading Festival
09-02 Montreal, Quebec - Osheaga
09-03 Victoria, British Columbia - Open Air Centennial Square
09-04 Seattle, WA - Bumbershoot Festival
09-14 London, Ontario - Rock the Block
09-15 Halifax, Nova Scotia - The Forum
09-16 Fredericton, New Brunswick - UNB Cafeteria

Stream: Emily Haines - Our Hell - http://www.emilyhaines.com/ourhell.html
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Dread » 9/5/2006, 12:51 pm

The album leaked awhile ago. I'm finally getting around to listening to it now. It's very melancholy and plodding. I'll understand if a lot of Metric fans don't take to this. The first four songs hold up well enough to me though. But it's more mood music, not something you can listen to whenever you want. Good background music or when you're sleepy.
Dread

Postby starseed_10 » 9/5/2006, 2:08 pm

i like it better than Live It Out i think. But you're right, it's nothing fantastic. beats the crap out of Amy Milan's album at least
blah
starseed_10

PreviousNext