ClumsyMonkey.net

Alan's Music Recommendations Pt. 3 (Free Music Inside!)

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Postby dream in japanese » 4/23/2006, 5:40 pm

it really is lovely :nod:
dream in japanese
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby menomena » 4/30/2006, 3:45 pm

I am still alive, just slightly busy as of late with work, finishing up finals, and drinking, but I will fit in a brief review and link to an album.

The Rosebuds - Birds Make Good Neighbors

The Rosebuds are a husband and wife duo that make some of the happiest jangle pop I have ever heard. To be blunt, this is what the Smiths could have been if Morrissey weren't so damn introspective and depressing. Mind you, I'm not ragging on the Smiths here, I'm just saying that this is the other end of the jangly spectrum.

But after you listen to the album a few times, you start to pick of hints of depressing and longing in the way Ivan Howard sings. The opening track on the album, "Hold Hands and Fight" sounds like a track that belongs on the Microphones' epic "The Glow Pt. 2" in its stipped down, lower than lo-fi asthetic.

The song "Boxcar" is an interesting accomplisment. The mixture of jangle pop and country make the lyrics of this love song almost sound haunting. On "Wildcat," an innocent song of romance is matched with a very slow, sprawling guitar that matches Howard's croon perfectly.

"The Lovers' Rights" starts off with one of the most captivating riffs I've heard in recent independant rock. The song evolves into a perfect sing-along about love. The harmonizing of Howard's wife Kelly in between verses gives the song an Arcade Fire-like feel to it, only with a more sincere, haunting vibe to it.

I can go on forever about this album, but I really don't have time to, and you all probably don't read much of this anyway. So just download the album and let's try to keep this thread alive.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zatesg
menomena
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Joe Cooler » 5/3/2006, 6:16 pm

I love this. (The Rosebuds) In fact, I've been really enjoying most of the bands who have been influenced by the Smiths or sound like them. Ironically, I've never listened to the Smith's themselves...
Joe Cooler

Postby menomena » 5/4/2006, 10:30 pm

New album to check out. This rambling, as all the subsequent ramblings I will have in here will be shorter than what I've normally been putting in here. It also reads like I am auditioning to be a Pitchfork writer or something.

As always, the link is on the bottom and it's free to download for a week or so.

Dungen - Ta De Lugnt

I have always been a fan of psychadelic music. My parents raised me to be a hippie, in fact. They kept on smoking pot when I was conceived and still haven't stopped. I always used to blame the pot for making me born lethargic, but now, I found that it honestly made me appreciate music. Hell, my parents took me to see Pink Floyd when I was five, so that should tell you something about my musical upbringing.

Now we can be honest here, there hasn't been much respectable psychadelic music out since, well, before most of the board here was born. For the longest time, I thought the closest thing to new psychadelic music I could like was Neutral Milk Hotel with their psych-folk project and crazy instrumentation. Well, that was until I heard Ta Det Lugnt by Dungen.

Dungen, as some may know, is a Swedish band, so if you're looking for amazing lyrics, well, these might be lyrics that rival Bob Dylan, or George Michael, I can't tell you either way. But I can say Gustav Evstes' vocal melodies sound amazing!

The real enjoyable part of this album comes from the music. The guitars, piano, and pounding drums make this album a keeper. Tracks like "Panda", "Ta Det Lugnt" and "Lejonet & Kulan" sound like songs Pink Floyd or the Doors wish they could have made...but in English. "Festival" is a slow, acoustic piece that seriously makes you stop everything you're doing to just appreciate what is going around you. It falls into the category of Bonnie "Prince" Billy's "I See A Darkness" as an album that makes you pause the album so you don't miss anything going on.

The guitar work is seriously stunning on this album. The solo work by Evstes on this album would make Steve Howe (Yes) or Robert Fripp (King Crimson) smile. Sprawling, exact, and magnificent would be good words to describe the beauty of the guitar here. And the best part is, beyond a standard distortion pedal, there are no effects on the guitar to muddy it up, it's pure excellence that's worth listening to.

And on top of all this, Dungen puts on one of the best live shows I've ever been a part of. They're young and they love what they're doing, and they put so much energy into each second of the performance. The best par is, they try to speak English on stage and have no idea what they're saying, which makes them 24% more adorable.

Anyways, this is an amazing album that will make you appreicate the 60s and 70s a whole lot more if you listen to it. So just give it a whirl, it's still free to download.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3363tw
menomena

Postby lora » 5/20/2006, 12:05 am

lora

Postby Random Name » 8/4/2006, 11:48 pm

Come back, kid.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby menomena » 8/5/2006, 11:16 pm

I am here. I just gave up on the thread after a lack of interest and input. Find your own free downloads, people.
menomena

Postby Dread » 8/5/2006, 11:37 pm

I did the same thing for awhile on another board and gave up after a lack of interest. Then I would get upset when I would see people on that board asking about what particular artist sounded like (like Sufjan and Pretty Girls Make Graves) when... I... had put up mp3s on my thread. Nobody pays attention when it matters.
Dread

Previous