ClumsyMonkey.net

AFI - Decemberunderground

General Music area.
Did punk rock get it right?

Postby bd007h » 5/11/2006, 3:30 pm

It's interesting. At least it doesn't have the scary bunnies like Girl's Not Grey
bd007h

Postby freshfish » 5/11/2006, 4:27 pm

Hah, I love the Girl's Not Grey video. The 'Wonderland' of Jade's crotch... :lol:
You set my soul alight.
freshfish

Postby bd007h » 5/24/2006, 12:28 am

The album finally leaked the other day.
bd007h

Postby freshfish » 5/24/2006, 4:19 pm

Yeah, I heard. I think it's very unfortunate that it did.
You set my soul alight.
freshfish

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/11/2006, 6:07 pm

I bought it the day of its release. Really, Miss Murder is a bad representation of the album and for that matter so is Kill Caustic even if it is a "killer" song. All in all, I really, really like the album. It was not what I expected at all, and yet, at the same time was a logical progression from "Sing the Sorrow."
Joe Cooler

Postby freshfish » 6/13/2006, 7:09 pm

I actually think the first three tracks are my least favourite on the album. Well, it's going to take a while for me to get used to the sound, thought. I think it's pretty different from Sing the Sorrow.
You set my soul alight.
freshfish

Postby menomena » 6/15/2006, 3:43 pm

I couldn't care less about the album.

It's like I work at Hot Topic again with all the saddos and super-scene pierced kids coming in and giving me a hard time because I couldn't give a fuck less about the album.

I pray for the day when people realize the only reason they listen to AFI is because of the image that comes with it, and that the music is, at best, subpar generic rock with slightly more annoying vocals than Nickelback.
menomena
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/15/2006, 7:14 pm

Well I can't say I agree with you at all. I certainly don't listen to AFI for the image. Generally, I stay as far away from AFi's "scene" as possible.
Joe Cooler

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/15/2006, 7:19 pm

Also, I hope you come back jellybones so I can give you a hard time.
Joe Cooler

Postby menomena » 6/15/2006, 8:10 pm

Bring it Joe.

And I say it's because of image because I've worked where the fans of AFI are terribly present. Unfortunately, I used to work at Hot Topic and was surrounded by the typical 14 year old AFI brat. We'd have them playing in the store, and they couldn't tell a song beyond the singles from Sing the Sorrow, yet still wore their shirts and would buy fingernail polish and hair dye from us.

From personal experience, I feel safe in saying their fans were about the fashion, and not the music.

And Joe, I've been banned from this board about musical tastes, so let's not get me there again.
menomena

Postby Kathy » 6/15/2006, 8:16 pm

you were banned for musical tastes? :wtf:
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby menomena » 6/15/2006, 8:18 pm

Arguing over musical tastes. I used to have a thread where I'd talk about music I'd like and recommend people go out and download it, and well, one of the mods, scratch that, all of the mods don't like me, and I got into a verbal altercation in the thread over someone insulting me over music I liked. And well, after that, I went batshit crazy, and there was a majority ruling to ban me, and that I was. I was gone for over a year, actually.

The end. Now let's move on.
menomena

Postby Kathy » 6/15/2006, 8:25 pm

ok well thanks for the story and welcome back :D
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby Joe Cooler » 6/15/2006, 8:30 pm

Jellybones wrote:Arguing over musical tastes. I used to have a thread where I'd talk about music I'd like and recommend people go out and download it, and well, one of the mods, scratch that, all of the mods don't like me, and I got into a verbal altercation in the thread over someone insulting me over music I liked. And well, after that, I went batshit crazy, and there was a majority ruling to ban me, and that I was. I was gone for over a year, actually.

The end. Now let's move on.

Ahh yes. I forgot you were Alan. I like much of the music you listen to. Truth be told, AFi is the odd one out in the music I've been listening to lately. (Much of which you've recommended at some point. AFi just clicks with me for some reason.
Joe Cooler

Postby menomena » 6/15/2006, 9:20 pm

Don't worry about is Joe. I didn't want to start a fight, even though it probably came off that way. I just had to deal with all the kids (and I stress kids) that liked the band and it drove me insane.

It's funny how the fans of particular bands force me to not like certain bands. I mean, I hate Bob Marley, Sublime, and 311 because of all the burnouts that say they're the greatest thing ever to happen to music. But then again, I think I would hate 311 no matter what. Heh.
menomena

Postby a map within » 6/25/2006, 5:11 pm

bring back the 'this secret ninja' and 'rizzo in the box'
a map within

Postby AlyssWonders » 6/25/2006, 5:40 pm

Well I got decemberunderground yesterday and personally I love the album, my favourite song has to be Endlessly, She Said although Prelude 12/21 was good too. For me Afi is about the music, I don't really fit in with thier scene or any scene for that matter. I just listen to what I like.
~Cassie
AlyssWonders

Postby gokirk72 » 12/1/2006, 8:31 pm

Yet again, a topic that's been buried on back pages that I feel like bringing to life...

I do agree that a lot of people who listen to AFI only listen for the "scene"... there are freshmen/sophomores at my school who wear AFI shirts and crap, but probably don't even know they had a cd before Sing The Sorrow.. but they do have good music, as long as you appreciate the music and not just ride the bandwagon on a band

As of right now, I own 5 of their 7 cd's (Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes, Black Sails In The Sunset, The Art Of Drowning, Sing The Sorrow, Decemberunderground)... and I'm probably getting Answer That & Stay Fashionable and Very Proud Of Ya for Christmas (and if I don't, I'll buy them with my Christmas money.)

To be honest, my favorite has to be The Art Of Drowning, but none of the albums are bad

Decemberunderground is a big step away when you listen to it next to Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes, but it's still really good

To look at the album by track..

Prelude 12/21 - very good, very catchy
Kill Caustic - I like it, but not the best stuff on the album
Miss Murder - Yes, at the beginning, it sounds a lot like Green Day, but near the middle it turns the corner, unlike GD
Summer Shudder - You can tell Davey's voice is more polished, but it still sounds really good, it doesn't lose that emotion
The Interview - One of my favorites on the album
Love Like Winter - Good choice for 2nd single, better show of the album as a whole
Affliction - One of the best on the album.. and I usually tend to like "double" songs
The Missing Frame - Poppy sound with the synths and background vocals, but who doesn't want to experiment with stuff like that every once in a while
Kiss And Control - Yea, after Summer Shudder, the album is more itself, this song sounds like it could have been on Sing The Sorrow, or even The Art Of Drowning (reminds me a bit of a mix of Wester and Morningstar, in a strange way
The Killing Lights - Definitely poppy, but there's nothing wrong with it at all
37mm - The drums are strange for an AFI song, but it's a good song
Endlessly, She Said - BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM... yes, it's awesome

Now, comparing Decemberunderground to the other AFI cd's (or the other 4 I have)... it's not the best, but it's very good... they're albums remind me of OLP (pre-Gravity)... all 5 are good and have their own qualitites

My favorite AFI cd has to be The Art Of Drowning, then I'd go Black Sails In The Sunset, then Sing The Sorrow, Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes, then Decemberunderground

And if you go back.. my favorite AFI songs overall...

Let It Be Broke
Three Seconds Notice
Malleus Maleficarum
The Prayer Position
Weathered Tome
God Called In Sick Today
The Nephilim
Ever And A Day
Days Of The Phoenix
Wester
6 To 8
Morningstar
Dancing Through Sunday
Girl's Not Grey
Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings)
The Leaving Song (NOT part 2... track 11 on STS)
... But Home Is Nowhere (AND the bonus track on there is amazing)
The Interview
Affliction
Endlessly, She Said

and.. even though I don't own the album, I've heard the album a few times on mixes my girlfriend's friend made her... Cruise Control (from Very Proud Of Ya)

wow.. long post, but all in all, AFI is a good band, it's just that some of the kids that jellybones is talking about do just listen to them for the whole image that comes with it.. myself and friends of mine who do listen to them definitely do not follow any image that comes with AFI, hell, if you saw the way we hang out, you'd probably think we'd be the last people to listen to AFI just from the stereotypical image of someone who listens to AFI.. when you get by the image and read the lyrics and listen to the music, it's rather good

there, done, finally, lol

JT
gokirk72

Postby Random Name » 12/1/2006, 8:47 pm

Justin? Is that you?? :O
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby gokirk72 » 12/2/2006, 8:45 am

haha, yea.. I've been lurking around and I post occasionally
gokirk72

PreviousNext