ClumsyMonkey.net

Stop Making Stupid People Famous

This is for you, this is for us...

Stop Making Stupid People Famous

Postby A2K » 9/15/2019, 11:35 pm

So I was at the Toronto Summersault tonight, and got my first listen to this track, and let me say, IT IS GLORIOUS! Slaps like a mother fucker, I've not been this excited about an OLP song in a long time.

Also of interesting note, I'm like 95% sure the DJ snuck the studio recording of the track between the Bush and OLP set. I'm going to try and harrase Raine on socials tomorrow in an attempt to get him to admit it. I heard it knowing the title and tried to Shazam it and nothing was found.

At any rate OLP Universe, we have something tremendous to look forward to. I just really hope we get the studio version of this song and it doesn't get lost between albums like so many other tracks that had great potential.
A2K

Re: Stop Making Stupid People Famous

Postby A2K » 9/16/2019, 8:46 am

And he did indeed confirm they played the studio version before the set.

https://twitter.com/rainemaida/status/1173495567571439616?s=19
A2K

Postby Flynner » 7/9/2020, 10:28 pm

Raine just replied to someone on his Twitter big things coming for that song
Flynner

Postby Flynner » 8/5/2020, 9:43 am

Raine replied to someone on Twitter today that this will be released in weeks and not months. So we have a new song to look forward to soon. I hope it's not a part of the new album though since it would not really fit the theme of spiritual machines.
Flynner

Postby OLPManiac » 8/5/2020, 1:32 pm

Flynner wrote:Raine replied to someone on Twitter today that this will be released in weeks and not months. So we have a new song to look forward to soon. I hope it's not a part of the new album though since it would not really fit the theme of spiritual machines.

Same thoughts as me...hopefully, it will be a standalone release like Won't Turn Back 3 years ago...but again on timelines, I never trust OLP anymore :)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby todddowney » 8/5/2020, 3:50 pm

I actually see that the other way around, but will be happy to get the song regardless.
todddowney

Postby A2K » 3/3/2021, 12:46 pm

OLPManiac wrote:
Flynner wrote:Raine replied to someone on Twitter today that this will be released in weeks and not months. So we have a new song to look forward to soon. I hope it's not a part of the new album though since it would not really fit the theme of spiritual machines.

Same thoughts as me...hopefully, it will be a standalone release like Won't Turn Back 3 years ago...but again on timelines, I never trust OLP anymore :)

I actually think this song fits the theme perfectly.

I'm pretty confident Donald Trump is the focus of this track. The internet is providing a platform that's enabling the rise of these fringe idealists and that's what's politically polarizing and radicalizing individual followers.

When you look at the singularity and how the hive mind is a central component, the songs title is especially cautionary. Kurzweil often examines how wonderful it would be to have access to all the worlds good ideas, but less consideration is given to how terrible it may be to have access to all the worlds bad ones.
A2K

Postby Flynner » 6/14/2021, 10:15 am

Looks like it's dropping June 25th and it is featuring "pussyriot"
Flynner

Postby Heavy Alibi » 6/24/2021, 9:41 pm

Here it is

https://youtu.be/24g4fLbN9ZI

Thoughts?? I actually liked it more than I thought I would. When Raine is yelling "stop" near the end it reminds me of his old school paranoid falsetto yelps.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby DG » 6/24/2021, 11:40 pm

I like it.

Doesn't beat out some of my favorites off Somethingness. Not a huge fan of the guitar riff. Still love the line "stop making stupid people famous."

Pussyriot was in it less than I thought, and I didn't
mind her like I thought I would. Have they had a guest vocalist before? Nothings coming to mind.

But, hey, I only listened to it once so far, besides all the clips we've heard over the years, ha.
DG

Postby matt292 » 6/25/2021, 2:44 am

It reminds me more of Won't Turn Back than anything off Spiritual Machines, but I like it A LOT more than Won't Turn Back. Really easy to leave it on repeat.

I do think maybe it could've come out years ago, ha, as it did debut in 2019, right?

Has a great energy to it, for me. Doesn't quite knock my socks off like when I first heard Heavyweight, but after an awful 2020, I feel really comforted that there's new OLP coming and am excited for the full album, I just hope it's released SOON!
matt292

Postby Teedus » 6/25/2021, 6:26 am

I really like it. It's modern. I've never heard a feature like that on an OLP song. It also has a production value they haven't had in many years. It's well done. Obviously it'll never be old OLP but if the album has this production it's shaping to be their best in many many many.
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby Heavy Alibi » 6/25/2021, 7:57 am

Agree about the production - top notch.

And I'm glad they dropped the whole philosophy of doing a "stripped down live-type rock record" and went back to layered stuff. Much more fitting and complimentary to their style. Steve can do some great solos but it was never what made OLP great.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby Flynner » 6/25/2021, 8:17 am

I really liked the last couple singles "drop me in the water" , and "heavyweight" and don't think this song really stands up to them for me its way too poppy, really not digging the guitar riff. Anyways I hope SM2 has more of what we heard as teasers during the SM acoustic set last year
Flynner

Postby gibbits » 6/25/2021, 11:35 am

I think calling this album SM2 was a mistake. I'm glad people are enjoying it, and it isn't the worst OLP song I've heard, but it's not for me. I think the band intended to continue the theme of SM through lyrics and themes, but if this is any indication, it's not their plan to return to that sound.

If I were more cynical, I'd call it an attempt to cash in on earlier success, but SM financially, I think, was a low point for the band, so that logic doesn't exactly pan out.

If this song represents the record, it would just be another new-style OLP record with lots of layering and Ray appearances. Most folks who hear SM and get interested are going to walk away confused. Newer fans probably won't care as much. And hey, maybe this is the "odd-man-out" on the album. The song has been kicking around for ages, so maybe it's from an earlier session and worked into SM2. It's possible we could get something a little more experimental and cool on the remaining tracks, but it's hard to be hopeful.

If Matt Cameron shows up though that will still be rad, maybe we can get some exciting patterns.
gibbits

Postby JabsTinyMusic » 6/25/2021, 1:33 pm

I listened to SMSPF this morning and right after it in my que (randomly), Crash Karma started playing. It made me wonder what things would have been like if Mike were still in the band. I don't dislike the song by any means, but something is missing for me and I can't put my finger on it. The lyrics maybe feel forced? The way Raine used to use his vocals as an instrument is missing. (This is not the falsetto argument) Either way, I'm just excited that we're getting new OLP.
JabsTinyMusic

Postby xjsb125 » 6/25/2021, 3:33 pm

Raine had said in an interview back late last year that he had the lyric "stop making stupid people famous" saved for 2 years before it ever manifested into a song. Lyrically, not a really strong song. It is a very straight forward song. I think the production is top notch and I am glad they moved away from Jason Lader for this album. I love the bass groove and drums for this song. A nice pairing of Duncan and Jason.

As I said over in the other thread, this album won't be like SM 1. Im holding out all expectations or anticipation until it is playing through the headphones. Looking for that genuine first reaction.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Teedus » 6/25/2021, 4:01 pm

Lyrically not strong? Yeah, totally. Remember the days when a verse was poetry that went on for more than 2 bars? And the hook was metaphorical? Still really digging the production on this.
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby Furious George » 7/1/2021, 10:14 am

Really interesting opinions on the song!
Here are my thoughts:

- As someone who appreciates the metaphorical cryptic lyrics of earlier albums, I really like these lyrics.. simple but meaningful.. which I think suits this kind of song. I had more trouble with Nadya's part.. dunno if anyone found the rhyming awkward. Also- and this comes down to opinion- but I never thought of Putin as a "stupid" person which I assume she's referencing, evil sure but not stupid.

- I'm glad everyone's liking the production. Personally hoping for more of a "Good Die Young" vibe on the overall record as I think the production on that track (from what we've heard) is fantastic.

- Curious how ppl feel about the vocals. I feel Raine is really muscling in the notes on the limits of his chest voice .. like a lot of warble, but I could also see it being treated as a stylistic thing. Even though his voice has def changed over the years I still think he can sound amazing, with recent vocal highlights for me being both his solo records as well as songs like As Fast As You Can (good explosive energy in that range) or the parts of Good Die Young we heard which I feel work incredibly well for him- so I'm hoping for more songs on SMII to vocally track along those lines. It is growing on me though.

- Agree with Gibbits- would love to see the return of more interesting and experimental drum patterns - few and far between these days. I think Jason Pierce should show us what he's capable of, kinda like how Steve really stretched those creative guitar muscles on Curve.

- Regardless of the above, I am finding myself enjoying the song and it's on repeat alot. I'm glad to see this being put on playlists on Apple Music and Spotify and want to see more of that- it's simple, fun, catchy, has a message, and seems especially great for the thawing pandemic/summer times. I really would like to to see how a larger music audience would respond.
Last edited by Furious George on 7/1/2021, 2:02 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Furious George

Postby Kicker774 » 7/1/2021, 11:16 am

If Raine can't sing like he did pre-Curve then he needs to revert back to the scaled back / spoken word style from Hunters Lullaby.

The whole inbetween shouty / singy thing doesn't do it for me.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Next