ClumsyMonkey.net

New post-Somethingness music in the works

This is for you, this is for us...

New post-Somethingness music in the works

Postby Tinman » 6/30/2018, 7:17 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BknY3TXAg8J/?taken-by=ourladypeace

A little shocked, but they say they're working on new music. Wasn't expecting anything so soon after Somethingness, but they specifically address wanting to put out content a little quicker than 2-5 years from it's release.
Tinman

Re: New post-Somethingness music in the works

Postby A2K » 7/4/2018, 11:43 pm

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, we need to take these words with a big ole' box of Windsor salt. OLP has had ridiculously soft release dates. Every release since HIPT has been pushed back a lot. And I get it, they have a tremendous body of work to live up to, and it's hard. But honestly I'd bet my house we won't see new material released sooner that 2021.
A2K

Postby myownsatellite » 7/5/2018, 7:40 pm

This last album release was a disaster IMO. Zero marketing, not being ready on time, a lot of pushing back of dates... I'm not sure we'll actually see another release from them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they keep putting out music, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby xjsb125 » 7/5/2018, 9:20 pm

I think they will continue to release music, but I think 2021 is a damn good guess.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Tinman » 7/6/2018, 7:33 am

myownsatellite wrote:This last album release was a disaster IMO.

I don't know that I'd call it that. It felt like the band didn't really care about promoting it. That's only a disaster if your goal is to be heard by as many people as possible. If you're setting out to just write music and let come what may, then I guess they did just fine. I'm not really sure what they were setting out to do with Somethingness.
Tinman

Postby paintedbynumbers » 7/27/2018, 4:52 pm

I compare OLP to Weezer at this point. Both have been around the same amount of time give or take a yr. Both bands put out new albums and only play 1 or 2 songs from that album live. Both bands seem to play the same set list each night as well. I can't speak for others but it's disappointing knowing that OLP hasn't really changed out their set in years. Sure they may have removed Heavyweight and added drop me in the water, but they also removed rabbits for hiding place for hearts. With a history as deep as OLP's they should be able to throw in deep cuts every night. Somethingness fell flat for me. I think had they released it all at once it would be one thing but to do it in halves with the first half being far superior, it really hurt things. I feel as though the band themselves are not happy with the album either or they would be playing more of the tracks live.
paintedbynumbers

Postby xjsb125 » 7/27/2018, 7:22 pm

So, 5 out of 8 songs from the album have been performed live, and all got played on the Cross Canada tour. Ballad Of A Poet, Drop Me In The Water, Head Down, Hiding Place For Hearts, and Nice To Meet You all got performed and rotated. In Grand Rapids they played 3 out of 8, almost half the album. Raine expressed to me after the show an almost regret that they haven't played those last 3 tracks yet, and they are already in the process of creating new material. However, festival and Summer shows are notorious for not digging deep in the set. And while every single one of us agrees that setlists are a huge issue with the band live, I think there is a somewhat misguided sense that certain tracks have to be played at every show. On top of that, add in songs that are deep cuts that they just don't even want to play. Catching an OLP tour about 1/3 of the way or midway in is the real sweet spot for catching a great setlist from them. This was not the most well executed release they have ever done. Releasing a trilogy of EP's is the latest novel idea in music, but I think it really detracts from the overall picture, and usually bands end up realizing the vision has changed 2/3 of the way through it. On top of the marketing not making a lot of sense, at least to me, this was not a great release. I thought the music was really well done. Not over-polished or poorly performed. I think Raine's vocals were the best they've been since Gravity, and Steve once again came through as a shining star. I hope whatever music they release next is done with shorter gap in release dates, and a better platform for getting the album out to the public.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby A2K » 8/12/2018, 9:24 pm

I actually thought Somethingness vol. 2 was superior. Head Down and BOAP are probably my two favorite tracks and the others were also solid in my opinion. I do tend to enjoy OLPs more commercial stuff though.

However, I hated the fragmented releases. Maybe I'm just old school, but I feel an album is hard to appreciate when tracks are staged like that. I like to put the album on and work, or drive, or whatever. There's not enough time between listens and it makes me far too critical, as it's too fast to digest and every track feels like a single, and that's not fair. For example I didn't like Hiding Place for Hearts at all, and felt Falling into Place was very mediocre (at best). But when I listen to them now in the album's totallity, I enjoy what they bring to the overall album.

Regarding the marketing of it, I agree it's less than ideal. I heard Duncan say in an interview, they wanted to have something to promote for the Guns n Roses shows which has some rational to it. But the date kept moving (classic OLP) and it was discouraging and I'm sure destroyed any traction they may have built during those shows. But with all that being said, Burn Burn was the last album I feel had any mainstream backing, which was impressive considering they'd dropped their label. But the music industry's has been in a constant state of transition for two decades now, I'm not sure any band (or label for that matter) really knows how to effectively promote releases.

This turned out much longer than I thought it would when I started typing...
A2K