ClumsyMonkey.net

Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

Postby PaperMoon » 2/9/2018, 8:37 pm

The Vault is a good vehicle to keep fans happy when there isn't really anything else going on to get excited about. I'm not surprised they stopped releasing songs from the Vault once they started to work on new stuff.
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby Flynner » 2/21/2018, 8:53 pm

Snippet of "Head Down" on insta, sounds good. Feels like we've been waiting for this album forever can't wait for it to finally be out and my vinyl to arrive
Flynner

Postby xjsb125 » 2/21/2018, 9:12 pm

They played at least one new song during their secret show tonight. Couldn't tell which one it was though. They transitioned out of Is Anybody Home? straight into it.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby ivewaited » 2/22/2018, 1:19 am

We should get it today through pledge since they said we get it early.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby neoncrossing » 2/22/2018, 7:38 am

xjsb125 wrote:They played at least one new song during their secret show tonight. Couldn't tell which one it was though. They transitioned out of Is Anybody Home? straight into it.

No it wasn’t a new song. I was there. They are doing a medley of is anybody home with Maps by the yeah yeah yeahs
Is there something good, something more?
Is there anything worth dying for?
neoncrossing

Postby xjsb125 » 2/22/2018, 7:44 am

Ah ok. Did you get the Spotify invite or did Devi contact you?
xjsb125

Postby Syncopy » 2/22/2018, 9:42 am

I’ve had no sign of anything come up on my Pledge. I’m currently on vacation in Spain, Europe and in just over 7 hours time it hits midnight and turns the 23rd, so either way not long to go.
Oh please forgive me / I'm just a man whose / made mistakes
Syncopy

Postby todddowney » 2/22/2018, 10:12 am

Download is up on Pledge.
todddowney

Postby neoncrossing » 2/22/2018, 10:14 am

xjsb125 wrote:Ah ok. Did you get the Spotify invite or did Devi contact you?

Got in touch with Devi through rich and shelley

It was a very cool experience
Is there something good, something more?
Is there anything worth dying for?
neoncrossing

Postby matt292 » 2/22/2018, 10:59 am

It's good!

Really digging Head Down and Last Train at the moment!
matt292

Postby todddowney » 2/22/2018, 11:12 am

From a production and engineering standpoint, this is the best sounding music since SM. Head Down and Ball of a Poet came out fantastic. Missing pieces is also amazing.
todddowney

Postby xjsb125 » 2/22/2018, 11:40 am

neoncrossing wrote:
xjsb125 wrote:Ah ok. Did you get the Spotify invite or did Devi contact you?

Got in touch with Devi through rich and shelley

It was a very cool experience

Ok good. I sent Devi your Twitter handle but didn't have an email for you, haha. Glad you got to go!
xjsb125

Postby Syncopy » 2/22/2018, 11:47 am

Initial thoughts:

It’s so much better as a whole piece, rather than in Volumes.

I like Heads Up as an introduction, works as a catchy way to get you in to the album. Raine sounds real good on this. Doesn’t feel new but it feels like solid well rounded OLP. I can only imagine it sounds punchy in a live format. It also seems to lift Nice To Meet You and pass on it’s energy, and give it lift.

I had been listening to the Paste Studios version of Ballad Of A Poet got a while but the production on the studio version is lush. Possibly my favorite song on the album. Can see me returning this song on repeat for many many times to come.

HPFH and DMITW follow. I would say my two favorites from Vol 1.

Missing Pieces I might need a bit of time with. I love its atmospherics and background textures but I can’t feel like it needs something meatier to latch onto.

Falling Into Place is IMO, the weakest track. *I like it* but it’s the most generic sounding and least challenging song on here. For me, it wouldn’t be out of place off Burn Burn. It does feel a little out of place now it’s sat with more tracks on this album.

Let Me Live Again seems like it’s going to another great song live. I love it’s sombre feel and then how that builds up and creeps into something more robust and affirming. Definitely feel the production on these tracks is some of the best OLP have ever done. Very layered and dense (but in a good way).

Last Train has me a little divided. I love the central line ‘Last Train to Babylon, Water washes all your pain away’ and its funky groove/style... but almost all the song hinges on this line. As an album closer, I like how this ‘mantra’ almost repeats into a blur - it allows for a smooth finish to the whole proceeding.

As with any new record, you can’t digest everything on first glance/listen. I’m looking forward to repeated listens.
Oh please forgive me / I'm just a man whose / made mistakes
Syncopy

Postby dumbandjaded13 » 2/22/2018, 1:18 pm

It does feel better as a whole album, there's a good flow to it.

I'm definitely finding myself drawn to Ballad Of A Poet over and over. I'm digging Head Down too. I think the only song that I'm not feeling is Falling Into Place... seems to be a common opinion on that one, too. It's not a bad song, but doesn't stand out. Otherwise, I'm leaving it on repeat for the rest of the day to see what else stands out!
dumbandjaded13

Postby titanMAX » 2/22/2018, 1:41 pm

As others have stated, way better flow as a full album. Head Down is a good opener for this album, wasn't blown away by it but it's a good choice.

Nice to Meet You was one of my favorites from Vol 1, but it didn't work for me at the end. This placement is waay better.

Ballad of a Poet might be my favorite from this new album. Those times Raine was telling the story of seeing Gord for the first time at these last live shows does make me a little emotional hearing this now because it's really beautiful.

IMO Hiding Place is the weakest track so far. It's good up until the end where It's just missing something.

Love Drop Me in the Water.

Missing Pieces has that really interesting sounding guitar part. It's good. I'm glad this held the album up.

Falling Into Place is awesome. It sounds a little more basic than the rest and I think that makes me appreciate it even more than initially.

I love love the vocal on Let Me Live Again. Also the 'Hoo, Ohs.'

Last Train is so cool! When was the last time the band went for something groovy like this? Digging it.

I really really like this album.
titanMAX

Postby ivewaited » 2/22/2018, 5:34 pm

Is anyone having an issue downloading these? It just keeps opening the file in that new windows media player.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby myownsatellite » 2/22/2018, 6:11 pm

ivewaited wrote:Is anyone having an issue downloading these? It just keeps opening the file in that new windows media player.

I didn't have any trouble - is yours coming when you try to unzip, or when you are actually downloading?
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Flynner » 2/22/2018, 6:24 pm

Loving every new song, especially loving "let me live again" great vocals and melody. Been racking my brain to figure out what Raine is saying in the falsetto part in missing piece's about 1:16 in anyone figure it out?...also one more comment it's nice they are letting songs play out more, I felt on burn burn some songs could have been better especially paper moon if it had that great chorus played more then twice, seems like on this album the songs get to breathe more.
Flynner

Postby Flynner » 2/22/2018, 6:32 pm

Last train really reminds me of window seat but executed much better
Flynner

Postby xjsb125 » 2/22/2018, 9:07 pm

Ballad is fantastic. I do love the sound on Last Train. It's a different sound for them and I really really enjoyed it. I'm assuming Steve was using a slide on Missing Pieces. I love the guitar tone on it. At 128kbps the production value suffers. However, I will say that it doesn't sound over produced. It has a good balance between depth and polish. Also, I think the flow of songs works really well, which is one of the things I loved about Curve. It's a nice trip from beginning to end.
xjsb125

PreviousNext