ClumsyMonkey.net

Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

Postby xjsb125 » 9/11/2017, 2:21 pm

NO GIBBITS! YOU'RE BORING!!!!!!

Just messing with you. I think in execution there are some elements that are going through the motion. I think if you are waiting for the sound of any of those first four albums to come back full force you will wait forever. For me, I honestly don't want them to go back to everything they've already done. It's what gives those albums value and importance. They are all 4 unique. Lyrically and sonically. In the albums post Gravity, the difference from album to album isn't a big as the others, but they all still sound different to a degree, and they retain some of those neat elements from before, or create entirely new ones. For me, as long as they aren't setting out to make the same damn thing over and over, that's a good thing. If they fail in my opinion, they fail. But they had the courage to try something different, while still paying respect to some old tricks. So if you found the EP boring, that's ok. Just don't hold out for a sequel to any of those first four or you'll wait, you'll wait, you'll wait, you'll wait...
See what I did there?!
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby SpiritualJunkie » 9/12/2017, 6:27 pm

Another review: https://boredbyhappiness.wordpress.com/tag/our-lady-peace/

It is a shame that OLP never had the opportunity to do an international tour - but I can also understand the financial hit if they were to pursue it. The marketing for the recent EP is small, but that probably comes with not being signed on to a major distribution deal (possibly in an effort to have more creative control and not have to pump out the type of music they did for Gravity, Healthy in Paranoid Times, etc.). This will have to be the little engine that could.
And if I don't make it known that
I've loved you all along
Just like sunny days that
We ignore because
We're all dumb and jaded
And I hope to God I figure out
What's wrong

~4am~
SpiritualJunkie

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 9/13/2017, 5:08 pm

xjsb125 wrote:NO GIBBITS! YOU'RE BORING!!!!!!

Just messing with you. I think in execution there are some elements that are going through the motion. I think if you are waiting for the sound of any of those first four albums to come back full force you will wait forever. For me, I honestly don't want them to go back to everything they've already done. It's what gives those albums value and importance. They are all 4 unique. Lyrically and sonically. In the albums post Gravity, the difference from album to album isn't a big as the others, but they all still sound different to a degree, and they retain some of those neat elements from before, or create entirely new ones. For me, as long as they aren't setting out to make the same damn thing over and over, that's a good thing. If they fail in my opinion, they fail. But they had the courage to try something different, while still paying respect to some old tricks. So if you found the EP boring, that's ok. Just don't hold out for a sequel to any of those first four or you'll wait, you'll wait, you'll wait, you'll wait...
See what I did there?!

Well said Matt!! :dance:
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby gibbits » 9/14/2017, 10:42 am

Josh, you can say what you like about me - I appreciate you keeping this place open :) And I do agree to expect a return to form via first four albums is totally unreasonable. I just more am concerned as you suggested that the sound shift hasn't been AS dramatic. I mean, Naveed - Post grunge, Clumsy - 90s Alt, Happiness adding pop tones and experimenting more, Machines..... masterpiece. The last few yeah they have slightly different themes but if you scrambled them all up and were unfamiliar with tracklisting I feel like you would not be able to tell what belongs where.

I suppose I should say you don't want to see them going through the motions, whereas I'm suggesting with the last few albums that's exactly what's happening. Defo. not waiting for the next Naveed even though Raine will make that promise whenever he gives his next interview. I simply want a few rockers or a musical shift for the second half of tunes. Do I expect it? Hell no, but I would love to be surprised if they pulled a Pumpkins and dropped the soft stuff on the first half and the hard on the second.
gibbits

Postby xjsb125 » 9/14/2017, 10:54 am

I'm Matt! ;) Even says so on the avatar, haha. Absolutely I'd be down for some harder tracks. In my ideal world I'd love to see a well themed double album, with a huge sound shift between albums. But, for now I'll take what I can get, and enjoy the music.
xjsb125

Postby StraightEdge » 9/20/2017, 7:32 pm

Anyone else watching the live video?

They briefly toyed with the idea of having a Volume 3 out.. Because as of right now, the Fix isn't in the running for Volume 2.

They also haven't totally shut down the idea of having more than 4 songs on Volume 2.. but I doubt we'll get more than 4 on V2.
StraightEdge

Postby blueseeka » 9/20/2017, 7:55 pm

Is there a link for it? Did they mention any songs?
blueseeka

Postby carleiu » 9/20/2017, 8:13 pm

blueseeka wrote:Is there a link for it? Did they mention any songs?

It's archived on their Facebook fan page in two parts. They play some new stuff with some different sounds from what I've heard.
carleiu

Postby StraightEdge » 9/20/2017, 9:16 pm

The bad news from it. Volume 2 won't be out on October 7th. We'll have to wait a little longer.

I also asked about Tales, and got an answer haha.
StraightEdge

Postby matt292 » 9/21/2017, 2:49 am

The "Head Down" song sounds ace!
matt292

Postby Tinman » 9/21/2017, 7:20 am

StraightEdge wrote:The bad news from it. Volume 2 won't be out on October 7th. We'll have to wait a little longer.

Double bad news. If that was you, Duncan said they didn't know where the song was and would hopefully revisit it in the future. Based on past experience, i'll scratch this one off the list of potential releases.
Tinman

Postby StraightEdge » 9/22/2017, 2:03 pm

Tinman wrote:
StraightEdge wrote:The bad news from it. Volume 2 won't be out on October 7th. We'll have to wait a little longer.

Double bad news. If that was you, Duncan said they didn't know where the song was and would hopefully revisit it in the future. Based on past experience, i'll scratch this one off the list of potential releases.

Yep, that was me haha.

I'm still holding out hope.. albeit very little hope. He seemed to really want to get that out, so hopefully they will be able to find something.
StraightEdge

Postby todddowney » 9/22/2017, 2:45 pm

It's funny how much Raine hates The Fix.

The song they were working on, "Head Down," sounds really good.
todddowney

Postby myownsatellite » 9/22/2017, 5:46 pm

Well damn, I was all excited for my OLP birthday present.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Flynner » 9/22/2017, 10:08 pm

Some good news is they did mention possibly doing a volume 3 of somethingness
Flynner

Postby myownsatellite » 9/23/2017, 4:05 pm

Side note: My local radio station says they "aren't feeling" the new single and won't be playing it. They were also pretty put off by how the band didn't bother to reach out to them with the song, even after they were made aware the station didn't get it. They just told them where to download it. I guess usually some PR person usually makes direct contact with the station to talk about the single or something. I don't know. But the DJ told me he checked the charts and the song isn't being played on any alternative stations in the country, and it's not even charting in the US. I don't know how true that is, but it surprised me only because they're doing this tour, you'd think that they'd promote the album and single a little more.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby xjsb125 » 9/23/2017, 4:25 pm

Most of the marketing behind this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It seems like all of it is just being directed towards to core fan-base. Cool, on one hand, but on the other I don't see how it makes a huge financial benefit to them.
xjsb125

Postby myownsatellite » 9/23/2017, 4:46 pm

xjsb125 wrote:Most of the marketing behind this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It seems like all of it is just being directed towards to core fan-base. Cool, on one hand, but on the other I don't see how it makes a huge financial benefit to them.

It's all pretty nonsensical.
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Tinman » 9/25/2017, 9:18 am

I attribute it to just not caring. The band wants to make music they like, and they want to do some shows for fans. My guess is they'll make decent cash off of the tour just from their normal fan base, and that they are in a mode where they aren't too worried about marketing themselves anymore. Probably just want to enjoy the music and let the business land where it will
Tinman

Postby blueseeka » 9/25/2017, 2:24 pm

Its been very underwhelming.The edge102 in Toronto hasn't even played the single. It has just seemed very disorganized. It seems crazy that they would just link them to a website to download the song from. I believe that Warner Music had a part of the release of Curve but Coalition seems like a joke. The band no longer has the popularity of the early 2000's but they have a decent fanbase. The should still be able to garner a little radio play in the US and lots in Canada. But there has been zero promotion for Somethingness.

That being said, I expected the band to be disappointed at its release but watching the facebook sneak peak. They seemed excited and even mentioned the possibility of Vol 3.
blueseeka

PreviousNext