ClumsyMonkey.net

Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Somethingness Volumes 1 and 2

Postby LifeRiot » 3/3/2018, 1:57 pm

If OLP doesn't release 'Let Me Live Again' as a single, they're nuts. That song is incredible. The whole album has different structures I'm not used to hearing from them.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby Kicker774 » 3/3/2018, 8:45 pm

Took a listen on Youtube to the album and nothing grabs me.

Too mellow for me. Seems like too much is forced and overly dramatic.

Drop me in the water is about the only thing with a good rock/guitar lick but Raines sloppy emphasis on *BOAT* ruins it for me.
(And I don't get the video at all)

The drum line intro on Head Down is good but once again Raine ruins it with the hooting.

The majority of Curve was pretty meh for me. It doesn't get any better with Somethingness.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby johnpeterson » 3/3/2018, 9:52 pm

^

well that's a depressing post.... you didn't even like "let me live again"? raine's happiness-level falsetto?
johnpeterson

Postby Hugh23 » 3/4/2018, 10:25 am

I like so many things about Somethingness. I'm glad to see so many other fans are enjoying it, too. I like the direction the band took with this album. Raine really does make great use of his vocal range throughout and the emotion he gives in writing the lyrics and his vocal delivery seal the deal for me.

My early attraction to OLP was Raine's falsetto and the alternative, modern rock sound of the entire band which fit so well with the 90's & 00's music scene.

Raine uses his falsetto in so many different ways on Somethingness. He uses it in ways which fit the slightly deeper octave/tone he sings in today. The combination of Raine's voice, the lyrics & delivery, along with the newer, modern sound the band has made is so satisfying to me.
Hugh23

Postby carleiu » 3/4/2018, 1:27 pm

LifeRiot wrote:If OLP doesn't release 'Let Me Live Again' as a single, they're nuts. That song is incredible. The whole album has different structures I'm not used to hearing from them.

I agree, but OLP has a rich post-SM history of choosing bad singles. They seem to put way too much emphasis on writing the poppy, fast-paced rocker with most albums (Where Are You being released as a lead single instead of Angels Losing Sleep was probably the worst idea in the history of the band, aside from leaving Lanni in favor of Bob Rock as a producer). In fact, their obsession with poppy and upbeat lead singles is definitely a Bob Rock-inspired obsession that the band has unfortunately not stopped doing since that era.

All You Did Was Save My Life.....barf. Why co-write a song with a guy from a 90s-era band that was the epitome of a whiny, one-hit wonder? Why Paper Moon or even Dreamland wouldn't have been chosen as a lead single for Burn, Burn is unfathomable.

At least they got it right with Heavyweight. So maybe there's hope with Somethingness...
carleiu

Postby Driven » 3/5/2018, 10:55 am

LifeRiot wrote:If OLP doesn't release 'Let Me Live Again' as a single, they're nuts. That song is incredible. The whole album has different structures I'm not used to hearing from them.

I really like this song. Not sure what Raine was thinking with the "ooh oh"s in this song though.
Driven

Postby Flynner » 3/5/2018, 3:10 pm

Driven wrote:

I really like this song. Not sure what Raine was thinking with the "ooh oh"s in this song though.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I like all the ohhs and other sounds that he is doing throughout this album, it is reminiscent of what he used to do
Flynner

Postby Driven » 3/5/2018, 7:28 pm

I like the vocals in the rest of the song, and I agree that it’s sort of a throwback. But those “oh ohhs” are just brutal to me. I’d rather just listen to the power of the music itself.
Driven

Postby Kicker774 » 3/6/2018, 9:10 am

johnpeterson wrote:^

well that's a depressing post.... you didn't even like "let me live again"? raine's happiness-level falsetto?

I took another listen to it. Feels like the entire song is off key from the guitar to Raines voice.

Doesn't grab me at all.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Matt. » 3/6/2018, 11:20 am

Kicker774 wrote:Took a listen on Youtube to the album and nothing grabs me.

Too mellow for me. Seems like too much is forced and overly dramatic.

I feel the same. There just isn't anything about it that sounds particularly surprising.
Matt.

Postby titanMAX » 3/21/2018, 10:20 am

Has anyone who ordered through Pledge gotten anything yet? I think a month after fulfillment date is really weird to not have anything. Even one of the last updates said CDs were pretty much good to go.

Are they selling the record on tour? If they are then that's a little annoying to be honest.
titanMAX

Postby xjsb125 » 3/21/2018, 10:58 am

Nothing. They are selling the CD and vinyl on tour. On Pledge's site they are really passing the buck on to the companies handling fulfillment. I agree, it is very annoying to be this far removed from the release and still not have anything.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby myownsatellite » 3/21/2018, 11:09 am

They did mention that the vinyl took longer to press or something, but still, like you guys said, it's been a month. I want my stuff! I spent quite a bit on my pledge and was expecting it a lot sooner.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Long Jonny » 3/21/2018, 11:43 am

I received the vinyl on Wednesday last week. It was mailed from Coalition (based in Toronto) so that’s why I received mine so quickly.
Long Jonny
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby matt292 » 3/21/2018, 12:09 pm

Got my CD in the post a couple weeks ago?

I'm based in the UK if that makes a difference.
matt292

Postby myownsatellite » 3/21/2018, 8:34 pm

I do remember seeing something about the CA fans getting theirs, with a delay to the US (for whatever dumb reason). Don't know why they'd send to the UK before US though... (not knocking you UK folks, we're just a heck of a lot closer! haha)
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby faninor » 3/26/2018, 12:57 pm

Received the vinyl today in California. Shipped from Texas.

Something else is showing up in my USPS Informed Delivery notifications, also coming from Texas and shipped on the same day. Most likely the CD which I ordered separately. That one is coming via DHL's slow, budget option where they deliver the parcel to the recipient's local post office and USPS handles final delivery.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby myownsatellite » 3/26/2018, 6:10 pm

The DHL-USPS way is how mine is coming too, but mine was the vinyl and t-shirt, and was also shipped from Texas. Hmmm. It says it won't be here until Thursday but I have a feeling it might be a little sooner because it's already in my state, and shouldn't take another three days to arrive...
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby titanMAX » 3/28/2018, 10:11 am

I finally got my stuff yesterday. CD, LP and shirt. Not too crazy about the shirt but it's just a shirt so who cares i guess. I really dig the art direction they went for. The juxtaposition of the front and back covers being this vast, beautiful horizon and the inside being dingy, dirty properties.

Also, it sounds way way better on vinyl. :duncan:
titanMAX

Postby xjsb125 » 3/30/2018, 10:46 am

Finally received my stuff today.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

PreviousNext