ClumsyMonkey.net

Allow me to introduce myself

This is for you, this is for us...

Allow me to introduce myself

Postby Rabbit » 7/29/2016, 5:56 pm

Hey what's up guys and fellow OLP fans.

I'm Jeff. I'm originally from Cleveland but I live in New Jersey now. I've been a big fan of the band since hearing "Is Anybody Home?" on Much Music USA.. I have an appreciation for all 8 albums although i clearly prefer some more than others. Favorites are Clumsy, Spiritual Machines, Healthy in Paranoid Times, and Curve. Is it strange of me to not really care too much for the first album, Naveed? I mean don't get me wrong it's decent, but compared to the rest of their catalog it sounds kinda dated and like Pearl Jam too much. It's not bad, I just think they've grown and gotten so much better. I tend to appreciate when they go in a more artistic direction (ie Are you Sad?, Blister, In Repair, Angels Losing Sleep, Apology, etc).. I think Curve was a step in the right direction.. Unfortunate Jeremy left but i'm glad that Raine, Steve, and Duncan are moving on.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and talk some OLP!
Rabbit

Re: Allow me to introduce myself

Postby xjsb125 » 7/29/2016, 6:34 pm

Welcome! You're not alone on Naved. It's one of my least favorites. Still some great songs on there, but I don't like listening to it all the way through. Glad to have you with us.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Rabbit » 7/29/2016, 7:12 pm

Thanks xjsb125.. Much appreciated.. Can't wait for the new stuff coming out!
Rabbit

Postby Flynner » 7/30/2016, 1:22 am

I love Naveed but all opinions welcomed. Good to see some new people here
Flynner

Postby Tinman » 7/30/2016, 6:08 am

Welcome,

I love Naveed, but its a hard album for me to listen through entirely. I much prefer a single song off it mixed in with a random play list. The band was just starting out, and while I think the vocals are amazing, the instrumentals blend from one track to another for me. I much prefer Clumsy through SM where they started to implement more guitar effects and keyboards. Also why I preferred Curve to it or anything post SM. My ear wants a fresh sound from track to track, and I find a lot of grunge or early post grunge just has that same exact distorted guitar on every song. I have the same issue with other great bands... like someone mentioned pearl jam above, or Alice and Chains is another great example. Awesome bands, but I just need them spaced apart by different instrumental effects and tones.
Tinman

Postby Rabbit » 7/30/2016, 11:56 am

Yeah I completely agree. Naveed has good songs individually but has a redundancy to it which was typical for Grunge music in that era.. Perhaps a little too raw for me. I think another good example of the tones of the instrumentals varying nicely is on Healthy in Paranoid Times, where you have songs like "Where Are You" coupled with "Apology" and "Angels Losing Sleep".
Rabbit

Postby faninor » 8/1/2016, 3:36 pm

Welcome! Not an odd opinion at all. I like Naveed just fine and especially love the drum tones, but can certainly see the criticism over the instrumentation and arrangements.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006