ClumsyMonkey.net

Hey OLP, let's press some vinyl

This is for you, this is for us...

Hey OLP, let's press some vinyl

Postby m2 » 1/23/2016, 4:04 pm

As vinyl sales soar these days and more and more people are getting into the hobby, OLP would be extremely smart to cash in on this and press the rest of their discography on wax. Knowing the vinyl community, I promise this'll bring OLP a whole new audience. If bands like Everclear and Third Eye Blind can have reissues of their albums selling out and going for nearly $100 on vinyl these days, OLP could surely get in on this.

And as someone with a serious audiophile/vinyl hobby, I'd like to hear an uncompressed, genuine recording of Happiness. I know OLP/Raine mentioned a few years ago that they now own the masters to their back catalogue, so this would be a no brainer!

Let's petition! Let's tweet! Let's get OLP on wax!
m2

Re: Hey OLP, let's press some vinyl

Postby xjsb125 » 1/23/2016, 8:26 pm

I'm not so sure as to them owning masters for Naveed-HIPT. I believe he was referencing Burn, Burn forward. Burn, Burn, and Curve are both available on vinyl. Vinyl is an expensive medium to own and invest in, not to mention some of those pressings are crap. If the vinyl is being pressed from the original masters, without all the compression used on CD's, I feel like it's a worthwhile investment. However, if they are pressing from compressed (sound compression, not data compression) sources, why bother? Maybe they'll get in it. Matthew Good just released his and MGB's catalog on vinyl, so maybe there's hope for you.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby m2 » 1/23/2016, 10:51 pm

I could definitely be wrong but I'm guessing if they're releasing full studio versions of songs from that era in the vault (vampires, lots of HIPT etc), then I would imagine they have the rights to their Columbia years content. At least I would hope that's the case!

And yes I agree, if it's just a CD rip then I would not be interested. But if they not only own their back catalogue content itself but have their hands on the physical master tracks, I'd say it's a worthy investment in their part. Especially if they can team with an indie label for the release. Vinyls not for everybody, yes, but the rising sales of the medium convince me personally that it'd be an awesome idea. I haven't listened to BB or Curve on wax, but I'd hope it's an uncompressed duplicate of the masters. I'd love to hear tracks like Find Our Way and Rabbits there.
m2

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/2/2016, 12:17 pm

It's probably been two years since I've bought a CD and I don't really buy off iTunes unless it's a smaller artist only releasing digitally. Pretty much exclusively on vinyls at this point. I'd love to have those first four pressed.
MindsOnLoan

Postby A2K » 9/27/2016, 9:05 pm

Well, well, it turns out this post came to pass. It was announced on OLPs Facebook that they'll be releasing Naveen on vinal October 7th.

Also of note, I found this link.

https://www.srcvinyl.com/our-lady-peace-clumsy.html

Looks like they'll be releasing more, they just haven't announced it yet.
A2K

Postby xjsb125 » 9/27/2016, 9:34 pm

We posted about the Clumsy release a few days ago, haha.
xjsb125

Postby faninor » 9/28/2016, 12:46 am

Amazon has both listed. Strange that srcvinyl hasn't mentioned Naveed yet -- they've been featuring the Clumsy preorder in their last few email ads, and it sounds like it's being pressed on their own label.

https://www.amazon.ca/Naveed-Vinyl-Our- ... B01LTHKKAC
https://www.amazon.ca/Clumsy-Vinyl-Our- ... B01LTHKKAM
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 10/4/2016, 4:11 pm

Anyone know if the Clumsy vinyl being released in stores is the same as the srcvinyl one? I already preordered that one (on smokey-gold!) and am heading to the indie store soon and was wondering if I should bother with that one.
Forky Meets Porky

Postby faninor » 10/6/2016, 12:05 am

Not positive yet, but most likely the same -- usually SRC will clearly note if an item is exclusive to their store.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 10/7/2016, 2:30 pm

Judging by a recent Facebook post, there are coloured versions of Naveed and clumsy available. I believe the one through src is the coloured version of clumsy, but I'm not sure about the coloured Naveed.
Forky Meets Porky

Postby gibbits » 10/12/2016, 10:25 am

Hey Everyone. I managed to snag the Gold translucent version of Clumsy. Nice heavy vinyl. The album had a blemish on it, but this would be for display anyhow. Can always pick up a black version for spinning. Despite asking the band several times (and others as well) it seems as of right now the white pressing of Naveed is either not released yet or OLP has no interest in letting us know where we can pick it up.

Tried calling a few brick and mortar places after 2 Fifty records emailed me back saying that special pressing of Naveed was not to be sold online, physical pick up only. Have a few friends in Toronto tonight hitting a cpl of the record stores to see if it has landed yet.

Blah Blah blah...

Gold pressing can be ordered from HMV.ca

White pressing I will never rest until I get to the bottom of (and update you all!)

My only complaint with these releases - The complete lack of communication from OLP to the fans trying to track these down. I'm pretty sure these albums aren't remastered at all, and no one from the OLP camp has mentioned whether these were pressed from master tapes or digital feeds. Also, no gatefold covers? You'd think waiting for these albums 20+ years we'd get a nice big gatefold to revel in the artwork. Let's hope if SM gets a pressing the gatefold it.

Photo of gold clumsy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLeB9NsjL8s
gibbits

Postby faninor » 10/15/2016, 12:18 am

I have seen a couple photos of a clear version of Naveed which is possibly an exclusive for indie stores -- is that the one you mean, or there's an opaque white version too?

Also, if you / your friends manage to locate any extra copies of the white (and/or clear) Naveed is there any chance of grabbing one to mail my way?

I agree that the lack of communication is frustrating. But, who knows exactly how much Columbia is even keeping the band in the loop on these releases. They might not have all the details themselves. And as for whether the lacquers were cut from master tapes or digital -- can't say for sure, but I would expect that Columbia took the cheap route. If I recall correctly, Clumsy (and Happiness) were recorded 100% digitally anyway (though still mixed to and mastered on tape).
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby dumbandjaded13 » 10/15/2016, 1:14 pm

Any idea if the merch booth will be selling them on the OLP/IME tour?
dumbandjaded13

Postby xjsb125 » 10/16/2016, 6:55 am

According to the merch photos I saw, yes.
xjsb125

Postby myownsatellite » 10/16/2016, 7:56 pm

faninor wrote:Also, if you / your friends manage to locate any extra copies of the white (and/or clear) Naveed is there any chance of grabbing one to mail my way?

I would also be interested if someone could get hands on a few copies.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby gibbits » 10/18/2016, 9:05 am

Hey guys just an update. No sign yet on the translucent/white/whatever it is Naveed. I have one local shop that was supposed to get it but only got Clumsy. That's why I thought the release may have been delayed. I'm not even sure if it's the colored version, but they are a local shop and the clumsys were so.... we play the waiting game.
gibbits

Postby myownsatellite » 10/18/2016, 6:03 pm

Thanks for trying gibbits! I hope you can grab some for us but if not, I'm sure they'll end up on eBay at some point...
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby faninor » 10/18/2016, 11:32 pm

Yes, probably so (hopefully not buy-it-now at a ridiculous markup). And thanks for the effort.

On a related note, does anyone know if We All Get Lighter is available on vinyl in Canadian shops? I've only ever seen it for sale on rhinorecords.ca (which apparently no longer exists) in a limited edition of 35 that came bundled with an art print. The outer cover of my copy was a bit damaged, and I'd probably buy another if I can ever locate one.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby dumbandjaded13 » 10/20/2016, 7:44 pm

So, I bought the black vinyls from Neptoon Records in Vancouver before the Abbotsford show. The merch booth at the show had a black and white version of BOTH Clumsy and Naveed, with the white being $5 more. I didn't get the white since i'd already bought black copies earlier, but unless the merch guy was wrong, I believe they are selling white Naveed on tour
dumbandjaded13

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 10/21/2016, 11:14 pm

Asked the merch guy at the Med Hat merch booth, and apparently all the White Vinyl Naveed, if not all the vinyl, sold out at the Edmonton Show. Said it was gone before the doors even opened for tonight's show.
Forky Meets Porky

Next