ClumsyMonkey.net

Autographed Guitar

This is for you, this is for us...

Autographed Guitar

Postby znz212 » 4/18/2015, 4:20 am

Hi all,

I first of all wanted to introduce myself. I'm a LONG time OLP fan but haven't been on the message boards in years so I had to create a new account. I was a regular user back in the early 2000s at the clumsycongress.net forums, but I'm not much of a boards/forum user in general any more (I don't even browse reddit!). I still go to concerts with a CC and TH on the backs of my hands :)

I've come to a point where I've realized that I don't play guitar enough to warrant the 3 I own, and I'm also trying to sort out some finances. To that end, I've decided to try and sell my first guitar, which is autographed by the band. I don't know what the rules are regarding selling on the forums, but I'm mainly posting to hear thoughts on value/what I could reasonably ask.

The guitar itself is pretty basic, Epiphone Les Paul Classic II (retails for $230+tax).
Raine, Duncan, Jeremy, and Steve have signed it during the VIP meet and greet after their Spiritual Machines show in Victoria in 2010.
I also got Mike to sign it when he was in town with Crash Karma.

I don't have a COA and no pictures of them signing, as I never got it signed with the intention of selling it...just circumstances at this point.
My main concern is that all the guys have always been amazing to the fans, so any true fan can get anything signed. Not sure if the value of the signatures is worth the cost of getting a COA since I'd have to pay shipping due to not having any local authenticators.

Considering Jeremy and Mike are no longer with the band, I'm thinking of putting it up for around $500 + actual shipping costs.

I hope to hear some thoughts, maybe some interest depending on board rules, and I will certainly try to start regular visits and rejoin this great community around a band I love.
znz212

Re: Autographed Guitar

Postby xjsb125 » 4/19/2015, 12:30 am

We don't have any specific rules, per se, about selling merchandise. I think $500 might be a bit high, considering the guitar will obviously not be played, plus layering on an additional $270 for autographs would be high. If this were 2002-2003 at the height of their mainstream popularity, you might be spot on. Most of their die hard fan base are probably in their 30's, with families, houses, mortgages, and all those things that come with being an adult. I'd start around $300 and work from there. You're welcome to post a few pictures of it here as well. Good luck and welcome to the CM!
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby znz212 » 4/19/2015, 12:46 am

I still pick it up and play it once in a while, but I can see your point that a buyer might not want to. Especially since Jeremy signed right below the strings and there's no pick guard :O

Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated!
znz212

Postby faninor » 4/19/2015, 5:09 pm

I agree with Matt, I'm not sure you will realistically be able to find a buyer at that price. That said, a guitar signed by all 5 of them is fairly unique. If I owned it I doubt I would want to sell it for much less than that.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006