ClumsyMonkey.net

An Odd Technical Writing Question

This is for you, this is for us...

An Odd Technical Writing Question

Postby Driven » 12/16/2014, 2:06 pm

Hey All, I have a question and I'm not sure if this is a thing or not, but it's got to be something. One thing that I love that Raine did was write his lyrics like this:

"As the world explodes, we fall out of it....
As the world implodes, we fall into it"

He would repeat words and phrases, but change them every so slightly. To a different word, or a word that's similar or rhymes.

Is there a term for this technique? I really love it, and would love to learn more examples of it. I'm blanking out on other example from songs, but he used to do it a ton. And very creatively.
Driven

Re: An Odd Technical Writing Question

Postby myownsatellite » 12/16/2014, 7:23 pm

It's not something I've ever seen "labeled" with a specific term in writing, I think it's just a style.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby ShatsBassoon » 12/17/2014, 1:36 pm

I would venture to say "turn of phrase" or semantic phrasing.
Raine does it often, a good example in Superman's Dead "Weather or whether not..."
ShatsBassoon

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/21/2014, 11:59 am

Potato Girl has a few of them. "Something's teasing." "Something's seizing."
"But I'm just so tired of waking up on the ground" But I'm just so tired of waking up all alone."

4 am as well. "Never thought I would forget this hate. Never thought I would just bend this way."

Driven wrote:Hey All, I have a question and I'm not sure if this is a thing or not, but it's got to be something. One thing that I love that Raine did was write his lyrics like this:

"As the world explodes, we fall out of it....
As the world implodes, we fall into it"

He would repeat words and phrases, but change them every so slightly. To a different word, or a word that's similar or rhymes.

Is there a term for this technique? I really love it, and would love to learn more examples of it. I'm blanking out on other example from songs, but he used to do it a ton. And very creatively.
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/21/2014, 12:07 pm

After thinking about this a bit. I decided that these mostly occur in Clumsy and Happiness songs. If you look at the liner notes or even the lyrics that are posted on here in the songs section... you'll see a ton of them.

Annie
Automatic Flowers
Clumsy...
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby Driven » 12/23/2014, 3:55 pm

I'm trying super hard to figure out a term for this, haha. I'm not sure why I'm so set on finding one. It seems like it's a form of thematic patterning, though with a twist.

Also, a side note as I'm looking into writing techniques. I've got to assume that "An ordinary girl, and ordinary waist" was intentionally written to have two meanings of the word waist/waste. Until I read the lyrics, I always assumed it was just "waste".
Driven