ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: OLP says "f you retail, we got black monday instead!"

Postby myownsatellite » 7/29/2015, 1:08 pm

They're really making us wait and sweat for Trapeze :P
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby xjsb125 » 7/29/2015, 2:07 pm

Agreed. I can't wait for the day it releases.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby MindsOnLoan » 7/29/2015, 4:50 pm

I'm so thirsty for something new lol. Last one I was hyped about was Save Yourself three months ago.
MindsOnLoan

Postby OLPManiac » 7/31/2015, 9:43 am

Check your inbox Transparent Humans ;)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby johnpeterson » 7/31/2015, 10:14 am

very interesting..... although it sounds very slowed down and all the energy ripped out of it, similar to All You Did Was Save My Life in 2009.... OLP has difficulty executing studio versions of songs
johnpeterson

Postby Driven » 7/31/2015, 10:42 am

Driven wrote:I think that was a great first release. I'm hoping we get some mike turner sessions at some point though. I'm afraid it's goig to be pretty much all post gravity. I really have no interest in vampires too

11 issues in and I'm still afraid of the same thing. Yeah, we got a couple demos of Superman's Dead and the Birdman, but that's nothing that new. A couple of nice issues mixed in, but for the most part I've lost a lot of interest in this whole project.
Driven

Postby myownsatellite » 7/31/2015, 10:54 am

xjsb125 wrote:Agreed. I can't wait for the day it releases.

Just had a horrible thought: What if they *never* give us Trapeze?! :crying:
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby OLPManiac » 7/31/2015, 11:18 am

johnpeterson wrote:very interesting..... although it sounds very slowed down and all the energy ripped out of it, similar to All You Did Was Save My Life in 2009.... OLP has difficulty executing studio versions of songs

Totally agree with you...live it's another thing...and i really don't understand why Raine doesn't want to put falsetto screaming on studio (look at Monkey Brains and The Wolf) something like on "Save Yourself" would fit also here before the guitar solo, the song it's really good, i mean drum, bass and guitar are all amazing but Raine it's slowed down....if we compare the demo with a live perfomance there is a big difference...

Guys please...stop complaining...The Vault is a long term project...i think pre-Gravity things are really special and maybe the will keep for better releases...probably for now they think that the fans are happy in this way...i'm happy...and especially i'm happy because at the beginning i thought that releases from "known" song were unlikely...but with The Wolf (and also with Immune) the guys show to us that they aren't afraid to give also alternative version of released song...just be positive :)

OLPManiac

Postby MindsOnLoan » 7/31/2015, 11:21 am

This was alright. Haven't listened with headphones yet but it basically felt the same as FITHH, just a different chorus.

Really needing some original material that's not a demo/version of something we already have though. There's still been no original material outside of the Healthy sessions (besides the Say snippet). Demos of stuff we have are cool, but not this consistently, especially since the gaps between releases are longer now.
MindsOnLoan

Postby xjsb125 » 7/31/2015, 12:16 pm

I agree about the energy being missing out of this version. There are lots of little noises going on in the background, that just seem like they're in there for the sake of just being in there. I think I see how it was continuing to change to fit the mold of Curve. This feels like a mid point between the song's birth and FITHH.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby OLEA » 7/31/2015, 2:25 pm

Oh Yeah! The Wolf! I hope that the next song be some unrealeased :D Can anyone give me the lyrics of Save Yourself? Please!!!
OLEA

Postby faninor » 7/31/2015, 4:10 pm

The Save Yourself lyrics are on page 25 of this thread.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby MindsOnLoan » 7/31/2015, 10:04 pm

Also as far as missing energy goes, I think in some cases it's how its mixed. That gritty guitar is pushed to the back, but if it was more of the focus, it'd be different. Sometimes it seems they're reluctant to let their rockers be rockers.
MindsOnLoan

Postby OLEA » 8/1/2015, 11:34 am

Thank you so very much Josh!! :D
OLEA

Postby OLPManiac » 8/2/2015, 7:01 am

faninor wrote:The Save Yourself lyrics are on page 25 of this thread.

I'm also waiting for The Wolf's lyrics...they are similar to the demo lyrics that there are on the Curve songs section but there are some small differences if i'm not wrong :)

OLPManiac

Postby matt292 » 8/2/2015, 12:21 pm

Super glad to have a version of The Wolf, I prefer it so much more to "Fire in the Henhouse"

Interestingly though, it's a different version to the one that's on their Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4y6d7DMZ6k

Not sure which I prefer!
matt292

Postby Brooklin Matt » 8/3/2015, 5:51 pm

I like this version compared to Fire in the Henhouse. However, I don't for the life of me understand why they push the guitar to the back during the chorus. If you look at a song like "Naveed" that has really energetic guitar work, it's disappointing to them neuter this song when it could have been so full energy. I do like the song a lot though and am not happy they changed it. Just wish they could keep the energy of live versions. Love some of the guitar work with the violin in the back and Raine's vocals. Hope the band decides to let loose a moving rock record again. They could be so good if they just let it all hang out.
Brooklin Matt

Postby Tinman » 8/4/2015, 9:23 am

The Wolf has lost it's teeth. We see this happen all the time with OLP's newer content. Not sure what happened, because Raine used to have emotion and grit in the recording booth.

That being said, I do like the track. It has a lot of cool instrumentals. It sounds mostly like the mix could have used better positioning of the guitar, as you've said, and Raine needs to bring that umph.

The little falsetto "out - side - my - door" bit after the first chorus gave me chills though, which is nice.

as for hoping for proper rock song from the band... I'm not holding my breath.I have a feeling that OLP10 will be as different from the band's content as OLP9 was. Probably a mix of BB + Dancier beats, like WTB
Tinman

Postby OLPManiac » 8/4/2015, 11:34 am

Tinman wrote:The Wolf has lost it's teeth. We see this happen all the time with OLP's newer content. Not sure what happened, because Raine used to have emotion and grit in the recording booth.

That being said, I do like the track. It has a lot of cool instrumentals. It sounds mostly like the mix could have used better positioning of the guitar, as you've said, and Raine needs to bring that umph.

The little falsetto "out - side - my - door" bit after the first chorus gave me chills though, which is nice.

as for hoping for proper rock song from the band... I'm not holding my breath.I have a feeling that OLP10 will be as different from the band's content as OLP9 was. Probably a mix of BB + Dancier beats, like WTB

Well also if our last song it's Won't Turn Back i think that the next album it's a little bit strange to predict...it seems that they took a new direction with the return of Arnold and probably there won't be any Elizondo's influence..the Say demo that we had with The Vault it's not that bad (and if i'm not wrong they weren't with Arnold at that time)..however also i'm a little bit disappointed with this Burn Burn's trend (music that live it's amazing and then lost its vibe in studio, beside AYD there is also Monkey Brains that it's a f*****g amazing rocking song but on the studio version lost its vibe), at least Curve it's good but i think that Raine it's afraid to push the boundaries with his voice...howeve we need to wait because Won't Turn Back wasn't that bad in terms of emotion and vocals (maybe too catchy in terms of music)...unfortunately the unique thing we can do it's to wait :)

OLPManiac

Postby MindsOnLoan » 8/4/2015, 12:38 pm

Heavyweight is proof they can still make a rocker though, as are Steve's shining moments on Find Our Way.

I'm not really too concerned with how heavy they can get on the next album; I'm just hoping they retain the experimental mindset that made Curve so great.
MindsOnLoan

PreviousNext