ClumsyMonkey.net

My cover of Blister

This is for you, this is for us...

My cover of Blister

Postby RileyLewis » 9/13/2014, 8:39 pm

I know I am known as a curmudgeon here, but I love some of OLP's music more than anything else (tied with Matthew Good of course ;) ). That is why I wanted to learn Blister before anything else on guitar.

Before you watch this you should know that I only started teaching myself guitar 2 weeks ago. Having said that, I am really happy with my progress, and I know a lot of it is owed to the fact that I wanted to learn this song before any other. Blister has been my favourite song for years, and I'm fortunate it's probably one of their easiest to play (with the exception of the stupid, stupid F-mini chord). So it's rough in places!

The thing I love about Blister (and Happiness in general) is the use of falsetto, which I love to sing as well!

Anyway, here is my attempt, I welcome any support or criticism!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3EekFgO ... e=youtu.be
RileyLewis

Re: My cover of Blister

Postby astute_99 » 9/14/2014, 1:46 am

The most shocking part of that video was the fact that you look absolutely nothing like Jerry Stiller.

In all seriousness, that's pretty excellent for having just two weeks of practice. Singing whilst playing has always been really difficult for me, but you seem to have picked it up pretty quickly. While they're not everyone's favorite songs, AYDWSML and TEIWWB (as well as 4am) are pretty great chord-based songs that I've used in the past to help me get the hang of singing and playing simultaneously.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby xjsb125 » 9/14/2014, 7:57 am

Why couldn't this be recorded professionally? In all seriousness, what a nice cover. Fucking better than I could do. Especially for two weeks in. The best part is that your voice isn't totally intolerable to listen to. That, and I'm pretty sure I have those exact same sleep pants. Good cover, nice work.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby RileyLewis » 9/14/2014, 6:08 pm

lol, "isn't totally intolerable" is maybe the best compliment I've heard about my voice.
RileyLewis

Postby astute_99 » 9/15/2014, 5:51 am

I'd take it even a step further and say not unpleasant at all.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby Jskot311 » 9/16/2014, 11:56 am

Dude this is incredible! One of my top OLP songs and you def did it justice, keep em coming.
Acoustic Naveed is very fun to play as well and super easy!
Jskot311

Postby RileyLewis » 9/17/2014, 11:44 am

Thanks! One thing that always bugs me about OLP covers is that people don't even try the falsetto. I'm not saying I'm a great singer, but I enjoy trying to hit those notes (even if they're not as high as Raine could hit in his prime).

The next one I am working on is Thief since it's pretty easy to play and sing at the same time (though there are a few different versions floating around in terms of strumming pattern, etc).

Yeah I'd definitely like to try Naveed sometime too. Right now I can only really do open cords, I haven't mastered bar chords or individual string stuff. And some songs just aren't really possible on a single guitar, at least to do them justice (like If You Believe, or something like that). I'd also like to learn quite a few Matthew Good songs (Strange Days, Apparitions, etc) but his are a lot tougher with the exception of a few.
RileyLewis

Postby astute_99 » 9/17/2014, 12:44 pm

Thief is a fantastic song to learn. Personally, I like the acoustic Intimate & Interactive version, very easy and very fun to play :)
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby Tinman » 9/19/2014, 7:46 am

Nice pipes man. I might try and cover this sometime too... can you share the link you used for chords?

Honestly, this is really incredible for 2 weeks behind the strings. I've been playing for 11 years and you're pretty much at my level, lol.
Tinman