ClumsyMonkey.net

Farewell, Jeremy!

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Farewell, Jeremy!

Postby faninor » 7/5/2014, 9:20 pm

I think I'm perfectly welcome to the skeptics and people who don't like this or that album. Some of my favorite CMers fall into that group, and as long as they're thoughtful and respectful when expressing their point of view there's no problem.

As for the "true believer" thing, we don't get as many visitors as we did in, say, 2003, but I think there are multiple factors. I'm not saying that the band has the same size following, or are held in as high regard by as many listeners, as they were in 2003, but the band works at a slower pace now, and the Internet has changed a lot since then. A lot of people use Facebook, Twitter, etc. to follow the band's activity and perhaps interact with other fans, and so they may not even think to look for a fan site or messageboard.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Neil » 7/7/2014, 8:01 am

Jeremy's departure could be a blessing for the future material - as far as OLP is concerned.

What's Scott Phillips up to? *grin*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Phillips_(musician)
Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Niccoló Machiavelli
Neil
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby MattCTUSA » 7/9/2014, 6:17 am

<---- True Believer. But, Serious though, I totally respect people's views and opinions. I'm stoked my 2 year OLP live withdrawal ends Sunday!
MattCTUSA

Postby PaperMoon » 7/9/2014, 11:13 am

MattCTUSA wrote:<---- True Believer. But, Serious though, I totally respect people's views and opinions. I'm stoked my 2 year OLP live withdrawal ends Sunday!

Too bad it happens to be a huge festival but it's better than nothing! Glad you were able to find a way to make it.

(From one true believer to another)
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby RileyLewis » 7/9/2014, 3:14 pm

myownsatellite wrote:And because everyone always puts words in my mouth, I'm not saying that we can't discuss where the music is going, or that you specifically are constantly dumping on the band.

To be clear, I don't dump on the band, only their newer material, direction, and relationship with fans. There are worse bands and better bands, and Curve wasn't a bad record, just not a great one. The band has talent and I am just disappointed they've basically wasted over a decade not making the music they could have made.
RileyLewis

Postby MindsOnLoan » 7/11/2014, 12:46 am

I haven't really been posting or following the band much lately, but damn this is sad to see.
MindsOnLoan

Postby gibbits » 7/11/2014, 8:35 am

After hearing the new song I'm willing to stand by my comments. Dance trash. Jer got out at the right time.
gibbits

Postby johnpeterson » 7/11/2014, 12:25 pm

dude you got through AYD and TEIWWB and this song was your breaking point? really? this song is nowhere near their best song but it's also MUCH better than some of their post-classic era stuff like the aforementioned two and "world on a string", " where are you", "wipe that smile off your face", "signs of life", "never get over you", etc. have you forgotten those trash songs this quickly? at least this new one is catchy and raine's voice isn't half asleep.
johnpeterson

Postby gibbits » 7/11/2014, 12:51 pm

No, that was absolute shit too. Smile wasn't too bad at Edgefest 03 when it was rawer. What I mean is it looked like the band was going to return to form after Curves steps but they dove right back into the mainstream garbage you're referencing. Maybe Jer thought those days were over too and that's why he left. Who knows. One step forward two steps back isn't a place anyone likes to be.
gibbits

Postby DG » 7/11/2014, 2:29 pm

Mainstream is a meaningless word today, anyway. All the classic OLP albums? Those came out when Our Lady Peace was mainstream.
DG

Postby gibbits » 7/11/2014, 3:04 pm

Yes but mainstream in the 90s is vastly different than mainstream today. C'mon now.
gibbits

Postby myownsatellite » 7/11/2014, 7:15 pm

RileyLewis wrote:
myownsatellite wrote:And because everyone always puts words in my mouth, I'm not saying that we can't discuss where the music is going, or that you specifically are constantly dumping on the band.

To be clear, I don't dump on the band, only their newer material, direction, and relationship with fans. There are worse bands and better bands, and Curve wasn't a bad record, just not a great one. The band has talent and I am just disappointed they've basically wasted over a decade not making the music they could have made.

Again, as I just said, and what you quoted and chose to respond to, I wasn't saying you are constantly dumping on the band.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby RileyLewis » 7/11/2014, 11:18 pm

Just listened it to the first time. It's better sounding than World on a String or most of their recent singles, but it's also a weaker song, I think. It's really simple, there's no interweaving sounds that you can catch on multiple listens, everything basically just happens at the same time. Compare this to the song Naveed, for example, where the bass, guitar, and drums all had their own kind of weaving nature to them, where one would rise, one would fall, etc and it all matched up. This is just so simple in comparison.

It seems to be produced well, but so was Curve, and this is a step back from that. Now I can't say the entire album is like this obviously since As Fast As You Can was not representative of that whole album and it was also way too simple and poppy. But this doesn't bode well. I remember when people accused them of being poppy when Life came out, and that's an art piece compared to this.

I can also see why Jeremy would want to leave, the drum on this track could be done by a basic drum machine it's so unoriginal and repetitive. Compare it to Clumsy or Dirty Walls or something like that, where the drums had a sense of urgency and energy.

It seems OLP is trying to make a catchy pop song, except this type of song isn't what sells any more anyway, and hasn't since the early 2000s. If they care about popularity they should be going after what is popular with youth nowadays, and if they don't care about that they should make the complex, mature music that they are capable of. A few songs on each album seem to hint in the right direction in the last decade, but then the band seems to take a step back more often than not.

Those are my thoughts after about 10 listens though.

EDIT - Also, it's true that Raine's voice sounds better on this than in other recent things in that he has some actual energy here (though not half of what he can do, based on live shows, so he's still holding back from what he used to do all the time on albums, and it shows). But everything else is a step back. I think OLP was just one of those bands that was fueled by the angst in their youth, and now has grown out of it and doesn't know how to capture it any more. A lot of bands have that happen to them.
RileyLewis

Postby matt292 » 7/16/2014, 5:50 am

I know it's a weird question, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but do you think Jeremy leaving would have any impact on a hypothetical 'B side/Demo' release? I always remembered his answer to that question being something like 'the day we put that out is the day we admit we have nothing new and should give up' (something to that effect), I was just wondering if the rest of the band felt the same way, or if they'd be alright releasing old unreleased stuff...

While I'm still a bit sad he's gone, I can totally understand it. I mean, I'm 23, and I just think about all the different things I've done in that time - school/uni/jobs etc and all the different directions I've gone in - for him to have stuck at OLP for two decades is remarkable and that's an amazing commitment. I follow him on twitter and instagram so I look forward to seeing what he does next. He's a fantastic drummer, but some of the more 'routine' tracks of late didn't really push him creatively, so I guess it's understandable.
matt292

Postby xjsb125 » 7/16/2014, 7:15 am

I don't think it will impact it. Jeremy said he would support all their future projects. I don't think they will ever get in a hurry to deliver it. That's really more of a project to cash in on once the band dissolves totally, or just comes to an end.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 7/20/2014, 9:40 am

I was looking in Jeremy's Twitter today and i saw this interesting conversation https://twitter.com/Taggart7/status/490692028766777345
Here Jer told that of course he didn't perform or write Won't Turn Back...but he also tells that he didn't hear the song! Then for me yes the split was amicable but like someone told (and like i think) probably there are also artistic reasons...maybe Jer knew the direction that the band would take and then he thinks to left!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby xjsb125 » 9/20/2014, 3:18 pm

Jeremy posted a picture of his drum kit, in what appeared to be Massey Hall around noon today. For those not in the loop, Matthew Good is playing Massey Hall tonight. Good and Taggart are Twitter buddies. Infer what you will.
xjsb125

Postby RileyLewis » 9/20/2014, 8:11 pm

Oh my god if Jeremy became Matt's tour drummer I would crap my pants. That would be amazing.

And can you imagine Jeremy re-invigorated and playing some creative stuff on a new MG album? Uuggghhh, it would be so good. Matt's been exploring some creative stuff recently, and Jeremy would be an awesome addition.

Probably just for this show though, but still super cool.
RileyLewis

Postby xjsb125 » 9/20/2014, 10:08 pm

Looks like he just came out and did a drum solo at some point during the show. Hopefully video pops up. But security at Massey are really dicks about video.
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 9/21/2014, 4:44 am

xjsb125 wrote:Looks like he just came out and did a drum solo at some point during the show. Hopefully video pops up. But security at Massey are really dicks about video.

Some days ago i watched again the Paper Moon/Odissey video and i almost cried!...Damn also i wish that a video will appear!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

PreviousNext